Upgrading my monitor. Hazro HZ27WC/D verses Dell U2711 - which IPS 1440p?

echn111

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking to upgrade my Dell 27" 1920x1200 monitor that I use as a PC monitor for general home use (i.e. occational light gaming, browsing, movies, emails/documents etc.). Right now I'm considering IPS 2560x1440 monitors and looking at either the Dell U2711, the Hazro HZ27WD (with glass screen and lots of connectors) for about the same price, or the Hazro H27WC without the glass screen and only dual link DVI connectors for significantly less. Have done a bit of research and here's what I have so far:
  • The two Hazro's have the same glossy screen as the Apple Cinema Display 27" while the Dell sticks to it's usual aggressive anti-glare coating for office use. Even though I use Dell's all the time, this is for home use and I'm and favouring the clear screens of the Hazro's (or Apple Cinema Display) for a change.
  • Not sure what advantage, if any, having a glass screen has when placed over a glossy screen. Guessing if it has any effect, it makes it even more reflective and this is actually a bit of a negative, so favouring the Hazro H27WC over the WD. In theory. Anyone have some experience on this?
  • The Hazro HZ27WD and Dell U2711 have a lot of connectors while the WC only has dual link DVI. But for a general purpose PC monitor, how does this actually help at all; why plug in a low resolution HDMI cable into a high res monitor; only advantage I see is that they handle display port which is a thin, nice looking cable, if you're into that...
  • I can purchase the Hazro H27WC for around 35% less than either the Hazro HZ27WD or the Dell U2711. If I pay double I can get a 30" Dell monitor or a 27" Apple Cinema Display. Big price increase, but a good display is a bit of a long term purchase not something you change each year. Anyone think I should consider saving up for the 30"? If so, any good 30" monitors around (ideally without full anti-glare for office work).
  • The Hazro's comes with a 3 year retailers warranty while the Dell comes with 3 months.
  • Reputation wise (and probably resell value wise), it's no contest. The Dell is a Dell, #1 office computer supplier, while who knows what a "Hazro" is.
  • The Dell U2711's stand is superior to either of the Hazro's.
  • A big unknown is the electronic sound. Bascially the hissing you hear from monitor when everything is quiet. No idea on either the Dell or the Hazro and reviews never tell me anything. Anyone have a Hazro or Dell and can report on this?

Anyway, currently favouring the Hazro H27WC over the others. Any views, suggestions or recommendations here?

Im at the same junction myself.. not specifically hazro vs dell.. but say 27 - 30, and trying to not waste money...

I'm also open to anything 27" and above that's a definite upgrade to what I currently have. I realize that this will be a premium product but it's still got to be reasonable value for money in the medium term. I'd get a 30" IPS but the 1440 displays, at half the price, look like much better value and also have an advantage when watching movies as they're naturally 16:9. I'd grab the Dell if it didn't have so much anti-glare, and I'm hesitant to compromise for the price. The apple display is good, and I'd buy it except that it's overpriced and has a load of features I don't need. So I'm left with a knock off of an apple display at a very competitive price but from a manufactuer I've never heard off... There's got to be something reasonable I can upgrade to...

Did you consider the samgsung 27In pls? I've been looking aroung and it look like a good monitor... Some of those have serious backlight bleeding but on the forum people say it's not on all of them.

AG coating is way better than any dell and pls give you a really good looking monitor. Still waiting to see If I have my summer job before I buy one but w/e.

Easy choice:

Unnecessarily grainy (matte IPS) images or clear and vibrant images? If you don't want a reflective screen buy the Samsung S27A850D, just be wary of the back lighting isues these IPS/PLS displays have.

It is possible to get a unit free of light bleeding, unfortunately it is not possible to get a non-grainy matte IPS, they are permanently defective.

Hazro C is a great display
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/hazro_hz27wa.htm

The D model is meant for people who are going to hook up their consoles/blu ray players. For just PC use I would go with the Hazro 27C.

Last edited:
I had a look around and can get the Samsung S27A850D for around £550, the Hazro HZ27WD (with glass) for £530, the Dell U2711 for around £460, and, if I'm willing to wait for stock, the Hazro HZ27WC for a whole £371 including delivery and tax.

For comparison, the Dell U3011 and the Apple 27" sell for around £800.

I think I'll just grab the no-name Hazro HZ27WC as it seems to have had good reviews, uses the same display technology as the much more expensive monitors, and is the cheapest by far.

The panel of the Dell U2711 is very good but I would not advice this monitor. The AG is too grainy for the dot pitch (See my thread http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1662091 ). I tried a A01 and A09 versions. They were not buzzing even with very low brightness (-20).

I would only use it to display as a big board like this: http://blog.stackoverflow.com/2011/12/the-stack-big-board/
- The AG will remove the glares
- The view angle is fantastic
- The distance from screen is enough to avoid eye strain
- The people will not watch it more than needed. => headache avoided

Back