Upgrading my laptop processor from dual core B960 to i7 quad core

DeCoder

n00b
Hi i have acquired a Lenovo G580 laptop that has a B960 dual core i want to upgrade to an i7

Intel® Pentium® Processor B960 (2M Cache, 2.20 GHz) DDR3-1066/1333 SOCKET supported FCPGA988, PGA988 MAX TDP 35 W

Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.30 GHz) DDR3-1066/1333/1600 SOCKET supported FCBGA1224, FCPGA988 MAX TDP 45 W

I have got the confirmation from internet that the G580 bios supports this both dual cores and quad cores it has generic bios so it will support turbo boost, multithreading, multicores etc one dude has upgraded his Lenovo G580 dual core to a i7 quad core and says it runs fine.

But the new i7 processor has ram speeds 1600 will this interfere with the motherboard memory controllers on the G580 laptop

And the i7 also has a 45 watt TDP so will it heat up if i put it on a 35 Watt rated cooling system as the current dual core processor is running at 35 watts. Will the laptop overheat??? Will the plus 10 watts matter ??

And also the socket is FCPGA988 so it will support it right?

Try it and lemme know :) I was going to do the same w/ a Gateway 960 -> i5 so I could keeping it within the 35w envelope. For my particular model I know Gateway makes an i5 revision but not an i7.

Ram won't be an issue, if any component in the chain can't do 1600, it'll drop back to whatever it can do.

Core i7-3632QM is 35w and also G2.

The memory controller is on the CPU, not the motherboard. It won't interfere with anything.

If the socket is the same, it should work. If the laptop was designed for a wide range of processors, then the 45w TDP shouldn't matter. It'll run hotter, yes, but it should still run.

yes will the 35 watt cooling also handle the 45 watts the extra 10 watts shouldnt be much of a matter rite?
or should i jus go wit a 35 watt i7 the i7 3612qm or Core i7-3632QM
and do u think i should get it from this Chinese store Aliexpress
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...3-20-GHz-rPGA-SR0V0-CPU/412426_720639972.html
is this one fake or engineering sample or not tested or rejected stuff and i will get cheated if i buy it from there and to go to a genuine intel authorized dealer for laptop processors which are hard to find

The memory controller is on the CPU, not the motherboard. It won't interfere with anything.

If the socket is the same, it should work. If the laptop was designed for a wide range of processors, then the 45w TDP shouldn't matter. It'll run hotter, yes, but it should still run.
yes will the extra 10 watts cause too much heat or go just with the 35 watt i7s
and do u think i should get it from this Chinese store Aliexpress
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...3-20-GHz-rPGA-SR0V0-CPU/412426_720639972.html
is this one fake or engineering sample or not tested or rejected stuff and i will get cheated if i buy it from there and to go to a genuine intel authorized dealer for laptop processors which are hard to find

Try it and lemme know :) I was going to do the same w/ a Gateway 960 -> i5 so I could keeping it within the 35w envelope. For my particular model I know Gateway makes an i5 revision but not an i7.

Ram won't be an issue, if any component in the chain can't do 1600, it'll drop back to whatever it can do.

Core i7-3632QM is 35w and also G2.
Yes good Core i7-3632QM or i7-3612QM 35 watt is a good idea it is also supported by higher Lenovo G580
And what the hell is the difference between FCPGA988 BGA1224 and rPGA rPGA988B FCBGA1224 PGA988
does some only mean it's bga soldered to the board etc fixed and cannot be removable ???? im confused

And do u think i should get it from this Chinese store Aliexpress
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...720639972.html
is this one fake or engineering sample or not tested or rejected stuff from intel and i will get cheated if i buy it from there and better to go to a genuine intel authorized dealer for laptop processors which are hard to find.

I know this thread is old but I'm updating in case someone googles looking for similar info [necro info is better than no info].

17" Gateway NV76R, 6GB w/ 2 120GB SSDs. I use it primarily as a portable daw/music studio/drum brain for my edrums.

I finally got around to upgrading my laptop. B960 to i5 2450M. Make sure you update your laptop BIOS to ensure CPU compatibility before hand otherwise you'll need to reassemble the original system. Don't assume ;-) Very simple upgrade. Laptop is noticeably faster and I'm still getting excellent battery life. Most notable performance upgrade comes from plain HD to HD 3000 graphics (WEI graphics score went from 4.4 to 6.1). I can actually respectably run Minecraft now.

Primarily, make sure your laptop uses a socket and that the cpu isn't soldered in. Also make sure your laptop's chipset supports whatever CPU you decide to upgrade to. Make the swap and reinstall the housing and your good to go. No reactivation, no windows reinstall. My i5 was $40ish and basically gave me a brand new laptop.

Last edited:
I know this thread is old but I'm updating in case someone googles looking for similar info [necro info is better than no info].

I did the same upgrade today. Asus K53E with Intel B960 to i5 2450M. No BIOS update needed, installed new video drivers.
Laptop is working fine now: Photoshop CS6 is faster, Skyrim is running smooth at low settings, less lags in everything, yay. I'm glad.

Sweet!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that eventually we'll start seeing 2nd gen i7 sooner or later in the $45-55 range ;) Then i'll bite.

Glad it worked! Like a brand new laptop.

To the ones who upgraded from the B960 to the i5-2450M - how is it working out? Worthwhile upgrade?

hmmm I think it's about time to upgrade my poor lil laptop, Samsung r580
it's only running an i3 M370 @ 2.4 :(
The only thing I am really wondering is if my motherboard will support more than the current 4GB of RAM

You cannot think of it as "just 10 extra watts". 10W is a small number in our conception of wattage. But relative to 35W, 10W is a large number.

You cannot think of it as "just 10 extra watts". 10W is a small number in our conception of wattage. But relative to 35W, 10W is a large number.
I upgraded my ASUS from B960 to i5 2410M and it runs smoothly. Looking to upgrading to i7 - does anyone have any experience with it. I read that one needs to get a new "heat exhaust" or something. Is that true?

Back