Upgrading my Laptop Cooling

I hope this is the right place to put this, I know it's about a laptop, but its only about the cooling, so I figured this would be the right place to post

But ANYWAYS, I was wondering if they sell aftermarket cooling for laptops and their components. I want to do some Overclocking, but I was warned that when it come to Laptops, you gotta be careful OC'ing anything, due to the average cooling not being able to keep up with the increased heat output from OC'ing the CPU and GPU.

So can I buy aftermarket laptop cooling, and install it myself, just like with a Desktop (Except smaller obviously) ? and what would you recommend to get the job done.

I wanna OC my Phenom II Tripe-Core, currently at its stock 2.1GHz. and the I was OC my Radeon 5470m. I'm planning on getting a different brand of RAM (which I have no idea what brand this laptop came with) I currently have 4GB of DD3 1066 ram. Not sure the timings. But I think as is, with the proper cooling, I could get a decent OC out this laptop. and with come real good cooling, and some better RAM, I could do better.

edit - here is the link to the actual Laptop, on newegg, where we bought it. which I just noticed, that it's like 120$ cheaper now, then when I bought it, like not even 2months ago lol - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220753

Last edited:
I looked at ways to cool my Dell E1705 with 7900GS, it was overheating easily. No go :/ it wasn't even overclocked, but I couldn't even find information on fans I can upgrade.

I suggest putting your brand and model down at least, maybe your laptop has been done before.

I'll never get a laptop again (I gave this one away). If I find myself needing one again, it'll be low power and high battery life, like a zacate with a 9cell battery lol.

I looked at ways to cool my Dell E1705 with 7900GS, it was overheating easily. No go :/ it wasn't even overclocked, but I couldn't even find information on fans I can upgrade.

I suggest putting your brand and model down at least, maybe your laptop has been done before.

I'll never get a laptop again (I gave this one away). If I find myself needing one again, it'll be low power and high battery life, like a zacate with a 9cell battery lol.

I just gave the link to laptop.

There has to be some way to cool your laptop better, and replace the stock fans.

There has to be some way to cool your laptop better, and replace the stock fans.

I agree! :)

I was about to take my fan out, measure it, and try to find something that fits. It didn't get to that point before I switched to my desktop instead. See my sig for a picture, it is cool :D

i can find plenty of external type cooling solutions,(like this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834996500&cm_re=laptop_fans_internal-_-34-996-500-_-Product) but those things are more of an annoyance then a help, if you ask me. And I doubt any of them actually cool like their supposed to, let alone cool the internal components well enough to handle OC'ing

External ones will reduces your temps by 2-3C, maybe 5 on load, if they blow directly into your fan intake. Otherwise, you'll get 1-2C.

I have one similar, it didn't even keep my laptop from overheating and throttling during games, so my guess is that you won't be able to overclock with it.

Out of curiosity, does your laptop bios allow you to overclock? My dell bios had it locked out.

External ones will reduces your temps by 2-3C, maybe 5 on load, if they blow directly into your fan intake. Otherwise, you'll get 1-2C.

I have one similar, it didn't even keep my laptop from overheating and throttling during games, so my guess is that you won't be able to overclock with it.

Out of curiosity, does your laptop bios allow you to overclock? My dell bios had it locked out.

I haven't really checked the bios out yet, cause I'm only thinking about OC'ing the GPU at the moment, and I have the software to do it, I just don't know about the cooling. I will check my BIOS right now tho and let you know if my multiplier is unlocked

Oh yes, I have tried two ways to cool my laptop,

1, is a vacuum cleaner. It dropped temperatures by 30C but was too loud for regular use!

2, a regular tower fan, with a plastic/card paper funnel connected to my GPU intake. It was inefficient at funneling the air and still loud, but it worked to let me game without throttling.

Neither I know is the solution you're looking for :), but [H] worthy :p too ugly for pics, didn't take any, now gone.

SFF watercooling. Just replace the heatpipe on the stock cooler with copper tubing that extends to two right-angle fittings on the outside of the case. Grab a small radiator, attach to the back of the lid with spacers, and a slim fan, and find a little pump that'll run on 5v.

Can't imagine it being spectacular, but you'd gain bragging rights, and I'd imagine it would be a helluva lot better than the stock solution.

SFF watercooling. Just replace the heatpipe on the stock cooler with copper tubing that extends to two right-angle fittings on the outside of the case. Grab a small radiator, attach to the back of the lid with spacers, and a slim fan, and find a little pump that'll run on 5v.

Can't imagine it being spectacular, but you'd gain bragging rights, and I'd imagine it would be a helluva lot better than the stock solution.

lol I would love to have a watercooled Laptop, but that woudn't make it very portable anymore, and my GF wouldn't like that idea

lol I would love to have a watercooled Laptop, but that woudn't make it very portable anymore, and my GF wouldn't like that idea

Tell her polar bears are drowning all because she's worried about "portability". How selfish. :p

If i had a mill i would mill out a new aluminum bottom for my laptop and use it as a large heat sink... about the only cooling upgrade you can do is replacing heatsink compound. If you want to make it non portable mount it and put a large aluminum heatsink directly on the laptop like this

Woopse i guess i should have checked that either way 7 years later the solution is presented... was looking on this subject for myself as my craptop is running a bit hot today and was curious if there was a president for hot wiring a fan or replacing a fan with a higher performing one found a lot of cleaning videos nothing that was ... how to bodge a better fan or better cooling...

that's alright it's a good topic, this is a cop out but, check notebook review forums and tech inferno forums. lots of modders with guides. i know on my m17x r4 alien ware there is a guide on upgrading a from a 3fm fan to a a 10cfm fan.

Back