Upgrading my HP Microserver to WSE 2016

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Quartz-1, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Quartz-1

Quartz-1 [H]ardness Supreme

I'm going to upgrade my HP Microserver Gen 8 to Windows Server Essentials 2016.

Please give me your tips, tricks, and pratfalls. I'm particularly interested in preparation work I should do.

2. Quartz-1

By upgrade, I mean that I'll be wiping WSE 2012 and installing WSE 2016 - I'm aware that an in-place upgrade isn't possible.

3. Spartacus

Spartacus [H]ard|Gawd

If you're not joining an existing domain, it's pretty easy.
    Just let the configuration wizard do it's thing.

4. Quartz-1

Well, I'm holding off for now. HP are launching their new Microservers this week.

5. gimp

gimp [H]ardForum Junkie

I built a new server with 2016 Essentials to replace my old HP Mediasmart.
    Easy peasy. I didn't do any prep work.
    I did join my machines to the 2016 domain, but I still just log in to my workstations with the local account.

6. Quartz-1

I'm no longer holding off. The new HP Microservers seem to lack ILO and aren't otherwise much of an improvement on the old one.

7. Quartz-1

The software has arrived, the SSD is here with adaptor cable. I'm just waiting on the quad core CPU. And then, well, I might be some time. :)

It's a pity that I'm going to have to wipe and install; I would much rather an in-place upgrade, if only to preserve my Active Directory. Still, it's an opportunity to configure things better this time around.

8. BulletDust

BulletDust 2[H]4U

The correct procedure when replacing domain controllers is to use DCPROMO to promote the new DC and demote the old DC - Everything should replicate in the process.

9. JBark

JBark 2[H]4U

Which CPU did you go with? I just got my E3-1265L V2 last night, what a great upgrade over the G1610T. Finally got sick of it taking ages to do anything CPU intensive, and this is something like a 350% increase in multithreaded performance, for only a 25% increase in TDP. So far there's no change in temps or fan speeds that I've noticed.

10. Quartz-1

This assumes you have more than one server; I do not. Nor do I have a Server 2012 licence available with which to build one.

Yup, that's the one.

11. BulletDust

BulletDust 2[H]4U

Quartz-1 likes this.
  12. Quartz-1

That's well spotted. So the task will be to move the OS partition to my SSD, then perform an in-place upgrade.

BulletDust likes this.