Upgrading My Home Office with rackmount Server and Desktop.

nowwhatnapster

Limp Gawd
My new project this year is to move all my Computer equipment into a smallish rackmount cabinet.

I did a lot of googling and this is almost exactly what I want to do:

So lets get down to the basics. Here is the hardware I have and my planned future purchases:

Current Hardware:
Future Hardware: (in the order I plan to purchase)
  • $100 ~ Norco Rpc-470
  • $3xx ~ Norco Rpc-4220
  • $45 ~ Thermolab BADA heatsink to replace Xigmatek for Desktop
  • $X-mas ~ Acquired 2010-12-25 ~ RL-26 (old version) Sliding Rails for Norco cases
  • $B-Day ~ Acquired 2011-10-01 ~ RL-26 (old version) Sliding Rails for Norco cases
  • $400 ~ Acquired 2010-11-20 ~ XRackPro2 12u cabinet with sound deadening. Glass front door
  • $??? ~ 2u APC Battery backup
  • $??? ~ Rackmount managed switch

There is obviously the potential to spend a lot of money here, but I plan to keep it to a minimum. Some of the funding will come from all the old PC parts I need to get rid of.

I have very little hands on experience with racks, so I'm hoping to get some input from you guys there. I know cabinets can be expensive. I really don't want to spend any more than like $300-$400 on the cabinet. If that means I need to do soundproofing myself so be it. Good airflow for the cabinet will be important as my desktop PC will be housing 1-2 high end GPU's that may be folding.

In return for your help I promise I will take lots of pictures and lots of wire management!

Last edited:
it's a awesome idea, I am converting all my computers @ home for rack computers too, all my servers will be virtual.

The link you posted, was a nice little setup for sure!

Woops you are correct. I edited the first post.

The Thermolab BADA heatsink is the best/largest heatsink I can fit in a 4u case. Based of of frostytech.com's charts. Although I do not plan to overclock my CPU, I still want a good heatsink to keep the temps down.

I found the XRackPro2 12U Noise Reduction Cabinet on craigslist for $400 last week. It was about 2 hour drive round trip to NYC to pick it up. I even got my girlfriend to help me get it in the truck haha.

I decided that $400 on a unit that retails for $1700 was a steal so I bought it.

What do you think.... did I overspend? or was it a steal?

Here's some pics:
_MG_3092.jpg

_MG_3094.jpg

_MG_3096.jpg

_MG_3098.jpg

_MG_3100.jpg

_MG_3102.jpg

_MG_3103.jpg

_MG_3104.jpg

_MG_3105.jpg

_MG_3106.jpg

_MG_3107.jpg

_MG_3108.jpg

_MG_3110.jpg

_MG_3112.jpg

_MG_3114.jpg

_MG_3115.jpg

nah. you did good. man. I'm jealous. Where the hell do you have a giant bleach white wall to take pics in front of?

get off to building your PC's!! hurry...very jealous...

VERY VERY VERY NICE! i wonder how loud that box is tho, have you plugged it in ?

If it is loud you could always get the same fans in a dc version and build / buy a lower voltage psu, and run the fans at half speed to reduce noise :)

Very sexy pickup, wish i had one!

VERY VERY VERY NICE! i wonder how loud that box is tho, have you plugged it in ?

If it is loud you could always get the same fans in a dc version and build / buy a lower voltage psu, and run the fans at half speed to reduce noise :)

Very sexy pickup, wish i had one!

I just turned it on to check and I would say it is about as loud as my desktop PC. Possibly a tad quieter.

My desktop is in an Antec 300 with all 3 stock fans on low, plus two of these xigmatek fans plus two gtx260's (idle) and a fanless cpu heatsink.

nah. you did good. man. I'm jealous. Where the hell do you have a giant bleach white wall to take pics in front of?

get off to building your PC's!! hurry...very jealous...

Haha, I was waiting for someone to say something about that. It turns out the people I bought it from are a photograph/film studio. So these are their pictures. Impressive yes.

I will get cracking on the build as soon as possible. I'm working on getting some rails to mount my RPC-470

kill14me said:
Hi:

Don't mean to bother you but I saw a thread you started on a build using the XRackPro2 12U late last year and have a question.

Did you ever get the XRackPro2 filled and running? Did the XRackPro2 really reduce the noise level.

I'm in the middle of a build myself using a SuerMirco 4U 24 Drive Chassis and really want to quiet that beast down.

Can't find any reviews on the 'net anywhere for XRackPro2. Maybe because they are so damn expensive.

Thanx

I wanted to post this for all to see.

Yes, the XrackPro2 definitely cuts down on the noise. Granted I don't have an extremely loud server presently, but it easily reduced the audible noise level in half. The sever I have uses a Norco RPC-470 with stock 80mm fans. No additional cooling. 4x WD RE3 hard drives. It's much louder than my workstation, but once i close the front door of the XrackPro2 it brings the noise level to about par with my workstation. Most of the noise generated by the XrackPro2 is from the fan's they have mounted in the back, the sever is adding very little to noise.

I do plan on purchasing a Norco RPC-4220 which I hear has super loud fans. But that is several months down the road.

I realize I haven't updated this thread in awhile, but just to keep you all posted. I plan to complete this build. I will post pictures of my Norco RPC-470 mounted in the XRackPro2 soon. I'm spending a lot of my funds on upgrading my server at the moment so that is delaying this project.

Another subscription.

That rack would be perfect for a client of mine but that retail price is ludicrous. :eek:

Price is CRAZY, I wish I could find a cheap rack similar to yours....

Hi everybody;
Since nowwhatnapster posted my PM I wanted to throw in my update too.

I went ahead and ordered the 6U version of the XRackPro2 as I needed to get going on my current build b4 hearing back.

I had snagged this Chassis NIB off fleabay for about $500.00 which will do nicely for my next VSphere box.

Thing was it's way to loud for the house though. I took some measurements before and after w/my dBA meter and there is a marked improvement with the chassis in the Cabinet as nowwhatnapster stated.
I also had a 3Com managed switch in my home office that would wake the dead which I can no longer hear now that it's mounted in the cabinet, thank god.

Hi everybody;
Since nowwhatnapster posted my PM I wanted to throw in my update too.

I went ahead and ordered the 6U version of the XRackPro2 as I needed to get going on my current build b4 hearing back.

I had snagged this Chassis NIB off fleabay for about $500.00 which will do nicely for my next VSphere box.

Thing was it's way to loud for the house though. I took some measurements before and after w/my dBA meter and there is a marked improvement with the chassis in the Cabinet as nowwhatnapster stated.
I also had a 3Com managed switch in my home office that would wake the dead which I can no longer hear now that it's mounted in the cabinet, thank god.

Easy to fix, replace the stock fans with some 12V ball bearing ones, and get a power supply that is variable :) slow the fans down to about 9-10V and it will be quiet, but yet still move air :)

Looking forward to seeing this all come together. Quite the steal you got on that cabinet.

It's been a while since I updated this thread. Jus't wanted to let everyone know the project has not been abandoned! I don't have any awesome pictures to show off yet, but I have a cool idea I want some input on.

First lets catch up. I purchased a norco RPC-4220, built a nice ESXi machine and mounted it in the XRackPro2 alongside my desktop installed in a Norco RPC-470. I used Norco RL-26 rails(old style rails). Its a bit of a tight fit between the two chassis. I haven't had time to mess around with the rails, but I think its fixable. Worst case scenario I will have to rethink my layout or get some different rails.

I have 4u of space left, wishing I had more, but I think I can make this work. I am fairly certain I want to use 1 to 2u for a decent size APC Smart-UPS. It is going to be a bit longer until I can afford the UPS. I expect sometime in 2012. The remaining space will likely be networking gear.

While I save up for all that stuff I have a problem and a solution I want to share with you.

The wires are far too short to reach all my peripherals (Mouse/keyboard/headset/monitors) Rather than just grab a few extensions cables I thought it might be cool to put a 1 or 2u keystone patch panel on the rear size of the cabinet. Something like this?
72601.jpg

With a whole bunch of these:
68521.jpg
72971.jpg
78361.jpg

65761.jpg
65391.jpg
65751.jpg

Right now I can't slide out either chassis fully. So I could put this patch panel at the top of back of the rack and then use 3-5 foot cables from the patch panel to the computers and other equipment.

I haven't decided on white or black for the keystones. Also I've heard reports that the 24 port keystone panels are too tight. There seem to be quite a few 16 port versions, I might opt for that instead. Another concern is that some keystone panels and keystones do not sit flush. My OCD is going to drive me nuts if that happens. Also, I am concerned that there might not be enough room in the rear of the cabinet for the cables to bend.

Potential problems aside, what do you guys think? Good idea?

Last edited:
Love the thread so far, just subscribed. I'm looking forward to seeing pics and updates through to completion.

A few thoughts come to mind:

1. What's the final machine count going to be? (Specify physical count as well as approximate VM count.)
2. What machines will require physical monitor/keyboard/mouse connections?
3. What other types of keystone jacks would you need?
4. If you're using Windows on a few of the machines, then look into the free Mouse Without Borders application to move from machine to machine as easily as a multi-monitor desktop arrangement.

1. Physical : 2
    Virtual : 3~5 (maybe more/less as I learn the technology)

I decided that 4u chassis were the best because cheaper standard size components fit. If I opted for smaller chassis to get more computers in it would mean items like graphics cards and ATX power supplies would not fit. I am using ESXi 4.1 (free version) on my server.

2. The server machine will only need a keyboard/monitor on occasion. Since it is virtualized I do most tasks through remote access. Only time I would need the monitor/keyboard is when I was installing/upgrading/configuring hardware. I can even manage my raid controller remotelessly so I have very little need for the monitor/keyboard, but it is very convenient to have them readily available.

The desktop machine will monitor(s), mouse, keyboard, + various other peripherals mostly USB based.

3. It seems there is a tight selection for keystone jacks, but it seems like there are enough to warrant the keystone patch panel.

Just to give you a run down of what I plan on using:

Server
    1 - Hdmi (not necessary, but convenient)
    1 - Cat6
    1 - USB 3.0
    1 - PS/2 (not necessary, but convenient)
    Desktop
    2 - Hdmi
    1 - Cat6
    1 - 3.5mm stereo
    6 - USB 3.0

Other keystones types that exist that I might use:
    -Toslink (if I ever get a nice audio system)
    -Firewire (appears to be a very rare keystone)
    -Coaxial (if I decide to move my modem in rack)
    -Fiber Optic (If I ever move to 10Gbps or need a long run)

I have not been able to find any keystones of the following variety: Display Port, DVI, VGA, serial. I think display port is the only one I really care about.

4. Unfortunately i am trending towards linux based virtual machines. I am finding them to be popular and reliable, but they have a steep learning curve for a linux noob like myself.

Good information. TOSlink and coaxial could be useful. I doubt you'll find a keystone for DVI, VGA, and serial to fit that panel -- solely because the ports are wider than the individual keystone sockets ;)

If you have a rack-layout diagram for the various equipment, that would also be useful to see.

If you have a rack-layout diagram for the various equipment, that would also be useful to see.

I don't but that is a very good idea. Going to have some fun in visio. I'll post back in a day or two with some progress.

Well I'll be damned. Apparently the is a newer version of the XRackPro 12u that has bottom vent cut outs and an air filter! Jealous...

Air-Scoops-of-Studio-Rack_5.jpg

Please note these two pictures are not my cabinet...:mad:
xrackpro-filter-bottom-rails-install_19.jpg

Looks easy enough to add the filter ;)
You got a good deal on the rack anyway :cool:

As per this thread, I love the smaller racks, but they are always expensive, I dont know why..

You could always find a local recycler that has a bunch of older used, yet still in good condition, racks.

Subbed for a damn awesome build! I've wanted to do a rack setup like this for awhile but could never afford the parts!

I've toyed with the idea of doing this to my media center PC and my pending desktop build. But I definitely would need to upgrade from my little 8u desktop rack to a 12u.

Little update. Hope everyone enjoyed the holidays.

Santa brought me this Cables to Go 16-Port Blank Keystone/Multimedia Patch Panel
03858b.png

I opted for the 16 port patch panel instead of the 24 port because I heard reports that the keystones were too close together on the 24 port. Seemed too risky especially with my variety of keystones I plan to use.

I mounted the patch panel last night in the rear of the cabinet on the top U mark. I used some hardware that came with the XrackPro2 to mount it. I have about 3 inches of space between it and the exhaust fans on the back panel. Should be enough room to make my connections without over-bending any wires.

After putting this thing in place I think I need to find 1u wire management contraption to mount right below the patch panel. Otherwise the wires going in the front of the patch panel will be very messy.

To give you guys a better idea of the role for this patch panel I had some fun in visio and made a general wire diagram and list the roles
  • Extending the wires outside the cabinet so my peripheral devices can be further away
  • Extending the wires inside the cabinet so the PC's can slide out 100% instead of 50%
  • Route wires between patch panel and PC's so they don't snag when cases slide out.
  • Aesthetics ;)
First%20Drawing%202011-12-07.png

I ordered the keystones and wire extensions to mostly complete the patch panel idea:
2012-01-10_Monoprice.png

(PID7603 is for my phone)
I wanted to buy the 24AWG hdmi cables, but they aren't flexible enough for this application. I realize Ethernet channel on the HDMI cables is useless in this application, but hey why the hell not. I might be switching to display port cables eventually. I was tempted to buy USB3.0 cables and keystones, but I simply don't have any devices or motherboards with those connections.

So give me your feedback. I need to find a 1u wire management device that can only extend 3 inches. Also, thinking about picking up some cable sleeves for the wires between the patch panel and PC's.

One of these days I'll actually take real pictures of my setup... It's a bit difficult to do in its current state. I am trying to buy a short-sale house (5 months in), if/when that goes though I'll have some space to take photos.

Goodies arrived from monoprice....

patch1.jpg

patch2.jpg

patch3.jpg

patch4.jpg

patch5.jpg

I wish I could show you a picture of what it looks like rack mounted.

Rather disappointing that the PS2 keystone is not flush like every other keystone. Oh well. I don't intend on keeping my PS2 keyboard forever.... More motivation to buy a USB one or a KVM switch.

It's a bit of a tight fit for the HDMI cables, I'm sure I could buy cheaper more flexible cables, but I like the quality of monoprice's cables. I'll have to get creative with wire routing.

I didn't get a chance to hook everything up yet. I'll report back soon with more pics.

Keystone rack looks great.

It's a bit of a tight fit for the HDMI cables, I'm sure I could buy cheaper more flexible cables, but I like the quality of monoprice's cables. I'll have to get creative with wire routing.
Can the HDMI keystones only be secured in the one way you've installed them? If you could rotate the keystone 90-degrees, then perhaps plugging some L-shape HDMI couplers into the keystone HDMI socket could make cable routing easier from the HDMI keystones.

Subbed... looks pretty cool so far. I'm actually in the process of wiring up the desk I built so everything is dockable on the desk itself. I'll have to look for those snap-in plugs online.

Hey everyone it has been awhile. I got another $50 worth of cables arriving from monoprice tomorrow. Mostly USB, HDMI, Cat6a, PS/2, 3.5mm. This should round out the connections to my PC's. I'll try to get some pics posted in the next week.

Also, I met another XrackPro2 owner and he is looking to reduce the noise levels further by replacing the fans in the back of the cabinet. I am referencing his thread here because I too share this ambition and decided to research the topic. I think were on the right track.

Back