Upgrading my 4870, which card to get?

"...a good heatsink will make the air get hotter than a bad heatsink. If transferring heat to the air was bad, we'd all have cases and heatsinks made out of styrofoam."

It's all relative to the capability of the hsf, i would think a TRUE would leave the air cooler than a stock hsf as it dissipate's the heat quicker. Therefore there is less heat at any one point of the aftermarket hsf than a stock hsf.

Sure there is more surface area to spread the "warm air" but the stock hsf would expel hotter air and not be able to absorb/contain the heat anywhere near as well. Over a long period of time 2 rooms with pc's and 1 of each hsf would reach similar temps as the same amount of energy is being emitted, just at different rates.

So you're saying that a heatsink can't get any hotter than ambient? :confused:

No thats not what im saying, What im saying is cooler air will dissapate faster than hotter air, It is more easier absorbed into walls and air conditioner units than hotter air. There may be more warm air but it is easier to disapate through a cooling unit.

No thats not what im saying, What im saying is cooler air will dissapate faster than hotter air, It is more easier absorbed into walls and air conditioner units than hotter air. There may be more warm air but it is easier to disapate through a cooling unit.

Sorry but you're thinking about this the wrong way.

A Graphics card or CPU or whatever puts out a certain amount of heat that varies depending on load. The heat output is the same regardless of if it's in the chip or being dispersed via a heatsink.

Proper cooling will actually make your room warmer slightly faster as the heat is moved from the chip, into the case and then out of the case into the room. A lesser heatsink keeps more of the heat in the chip itself but the exact same amount of heat is still present.

The only thing the heatsink does is displace the heat from the chip and put it into the air. It doesn't decrease the amount of heat generated.

That’s what people can’t figure out. They see that adding a fancy new HSF lowers their temps by say 10c. They assume the 10c just doesn’t exist anymore but that’s not true. The new HSF is just more effective in displacing the heat into the room.

Sorry but you're thinking about this the wrong way.

A Graphics card or CPU or whatever puts out a certain amount of heat that varies depending on load. The heat output is the same regardless of if it's in the chip or being dispersed via a heatsink.

Proper cooling will actually make your room warmer slightly faster as the heat is moved from the chip, into the case and then out of the case into the room. A lesser heatsink keeps more of the heat in the chip itself but the exact same amount of heat is still present.

The only thing the heatsink does is displace the heat from the chip and put it into the air. It doesn't decrease the amount of heat generated.

That’s what people can’t figure out. They see that adding a fancy new HSF lowers their temps by say 10c. They assume the 10c just doesn’t exist anymore but that’s not true. The new HSF is just more effective in displacing the heat into the room.

Sorry but you are the one thinking about this the wrong way. There are far more factors involved than the oversimplifed world you are talking about. In the real world there are things like the ability of wood and drywall to transfer heat and also air-conditioning and Windows and so on and so forth adding HSFs to your computer will not affect the temperature of a room that is far more than 100 times the cubic footage of your computer.case. / RUN-ON sentence /

Sorry but you are the one thinking about this the wrong way. There are far more factors involved than the oversimplifed world you are talking about. In the real world there are things like the ability of wood and drywall to transfer heat and also air-conditioning and Windows and so on and so forth adding HSFs to your computer will not affect the temperature of a room that is far more than 100 times the cubic footage of your computer.case. / RUN-ON sentence /

Please stop.

This thread has already passed it's quota of FAIL for today.

No, you are looking for Toms Hardware. It's over there somewhere ---->

Oh my mistake :eek: Still all im saying is that yes everyone who said a better HSF will warm a room better is correct, If they are in a room that is sealed off and has no airflow or cooling of any variety, Only high end systems heat up rooms fast and last time i checked a 965 BE and a 560/570/6950 won't put out much heat.

I think it is more of a matter that his room has insufficent cooling or airflow, My system does not put out the same heat his does but it has a very good cooling setup makes no impact or room temp.

I think the OP should invest in a box fan. :p

6970 is my choice. It is right on the heels of Nvidia GTX580 and sometimes even faster but costs $150.00 less.

6970 is what I would buy if I wanted a new card today, or maybe GTX 570.

or to save more money you can get a 6950 and flash it with a 6970 bios, run the same as a 6970 performance wise and i think the temps run a little bit cooler under load

I'm in similar shoes of the OP.

I have a HD4890 that's showing signs of age @ 1920x1080.

Currently leaning towards the 6950 but want to stay as near to $200 as possible.

Don't plan on Crossfiring or dual monitoring/triple monitoring (unless you can combine a 1920x1080 and 1680x1050 monitor somehow and not have it suck ass).

I would pick up this gtx560 ti for 220$ - $20 AR= $200. A gtx560 ti for $200 is a great deal.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...261100&cm_re=gtx560_ti-_-14-261-100-_-Product

The cheapest 6950 2gb is about $270 or 250$ AR. The 6950 prices went up!!!!!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ion=6950 2gb&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=100
If your gonna buy a 6950, you might be better off with a gtx570 for about 30$ more AR.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=gtx570

Edit: crap, I see you allready bought the gtx 560 ti, well that was a good choice. Enjoy.

Last edited:
The ref HD6950 is hands down the best you can buy because it can pretty much handle anything.. your going have to pay alittle more for the ref card like this one as what i bought..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4161355&cm_re=6950_2gb-_-14-161-355-_-Product

but it is cheaper then the HD6970 and you can take that savings to buy a killer aftermarket cooler for it.. mine took the bios flash and it is now a full HD6970 .. the only draw back is the card is 12" long..

If a heatsink dissipating heat doesn't warm a room, why are radiator heaters so popular?

what size monitor are you playing on and what resolution are you playing @?

That is not how it works, A better HSF will lower the tempature of the air being produced.

Incorrect, energy being dissapated in room will remain same, temperature increase in room, will remain unaffected. Your feet might feel cooler, however.

i went from a 4870 to x2 hd6970 ... i don't think i can go back.... i may return one of my 6970 ...

i suggest getting one of the unlockable 6950's... and using that...

If a heatsink dissipating heat doesn't warm a room, why are radiator heaters so popular?

That's a lot more heat than a computer puts out I had one and it used 1600 watts i think.

Incorrect, energy being dissapated in room will remain same, temperature increase in room, will remain unaffected. Your feet might feel cooler, however.

I know, What i was saying is that larger amounts of cooler air will be easier to re cool through a number of means.

No it won't, it WILL dump more heat into his room since it is doing a better job of cooling the part.

All i can do is lol.... So according to you a better hsf will cause the card to draw higher wattage... because wattage draw directly correlates to heat dissipated. And actually to be honest either way the same amount of heat(energy) is being dumped into the room, but a better hsf will be perceptibly cooler due to the fact that the room is heating up at a more even rate, because the heat it is dumping is cool heat(closer to the ambient temperature of the room). Therefore a better hsf will keep the room cooler as long as there is some form of air circulation. However in a closed environment the room will end up the same temperature for any hsf after a few hours.

Ever consider getting an after market cooler? Then you could get just about any card you want and not worry about thermals.

Check out this video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/user/PCModderMike#p/a/u/2/xVtFTGqMpuE"]‪PCModderMike का चैनल‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

This guy dropped the temps on his EVGA GTX570 30c degrees by switching the reference cooler with an Accelero Xtreme PLUS.

The video is a little long but well worth watching and the results are amazing.

Personal opinion:
I would not spend too much money on a video card right now. A HD6870 or GTX560 would be fine. The next generation coming out on the 28nm fab is going to blow away anything currently on the market today. This will most likely be available 1st quarter of 2012 from both ATI and Nvidia.

Then wasting money on an after market cooler is not a good idea either. I did that once and it was not worth the extra $45.00.

Back