Upgrading my 3x 560ti 448 setup...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoson

Supreme [H]ardness
Even though I have three 560ti 448's, I'm NOT running triple SLI. I'm running two card SLI and using the third card as physx as well as to drive a third display(my tv). This was necessary back in the 5x days since a single card could only drive two displays...

Now that a single card can drive four displays... I'm really considering getting a single high end GPU to replace two of my three cards, and keep the third card dedicated to physx... Primarily to reduce the monthly damage of my electric bill.

Normally I use the AT bench to compare, but they don't have a comparable SLI setup on the 2013 bench... From what I've been seeing in my research... A single 780 would deliver comparable framerates to two 560ti 448's in SLI?

I game at 2048x1152 60Hz with all the details turned up to the max generally. Been playing a lot of borderlands 2, but I also play civ5, xcom: eu, and skyrim. I've also got a bunch of other new games that I've yet to play like the new farcry...

Yup Gtx 780 should be PLENTY for 2048x1152 resolution. Not even sure you'll need the 560ti for physx but do the testing yourself and see if it helps. You can offset some of the cost by selling your old 560s. Single high end GPU will almost always feel smoother than dual low end gpus. No microstutter to worry about.

2048x1152 is only slightly more than 1920x1080, so I would venture a guess and say that even a GTX 770 would be a decent choice.

Scroll to the bottom of this page and look at the 1600p and 1080p A2A comparisons. Both the stock and OC 770 numbers are impressive, IMO.

If you splurge and get the 780, well, even better. (At 1080p the GTX 780 and GTX Titan are able to provide 4x MSAA with "Ultra" settings.)

Yeah, a 770 with a good OC, and one of your 560Ti's for Physx would be a great setup for you, and very cost effective.

FYI these are GT110 560ti's... I also have them watercooled and highly overclocked... So my SLI performs more like 580 SLI. Realized I also should have said that I really don't like my framerate to ever drop below 60fps... Thus the seeking a bit of overkill.

I spent around a grand just on the cards and cooling on the current setup... so I was looking at a 780, then tweak it out with some nice cooling too for a bit less than that... I don't want to end up with less performance than I get out of my current setup, so 770's are out... My SLI is almost always a lot faster than a single 680.

I've only ever experienced microstutter when my framerate drops below about 50fps... but at that point if I didn't have SLI I'd be even worse off because now my framerate is way lower than my monitor's refresh rate.

And yeah, I sell stuff here all the time. The cards will hit my fs/ft thread if I decide not to gift them to friends in need.

GTX 780 though too expensive for my budget seems like your best upgrade path.

I'm positive that an overclocked GTX 780 is going to deliver much better gameplay performance than your 560's even if they perform like 580s. +100 on the core and +150 on the memory is almost guaranteed from what I've seen and you can always add another 780 later. The microstutter is a thing of the past with nvidia SLI.

i just upgraded from 2 GTX 560 tis in SLI (these are the 1GB non 448 version) to a GTX 770 SC from EVGA with the ACX cooler.

I can say with experience, a single 770 is NOT going to cut it for you. It is an impressive card, but I'm thinking about returning it for 2 GTX 760s. The single 770 is about on par with my 560s for games that don't require more than 1GB of frame buffer. (and by coincidence, they have the exact same idle and load temps)
I like the idea of not having to worry about SLI profiles for a while, but I'm not convinced I'll be satisfied with just a 780 for that much cash. 2 760s is more powerful than a titan for the same money as a 780

If i were you, I'd stick with what you have for now. Whatever is coming at the end of the year will likely be a much better upgrade for you.

The 780 will be superior than your overclocked 2 560 ti, i came from Sli gtx 580 lightnings at 945mhz core, to 2 780s in sli at 1241mhz core, and I get double the performance pretty much, and they feel much smoother going from sli to sli.

Gonna wait for the next gen. Yeah obviously two 780's is going to be better than two 560ti 448's. I only intend on getting a single GPU to replace these. 780 just is too lackluster. If a single one is only going to *match* my current performance I see no reason to upgrade... The hassle just isn't worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back