Upgrading Macbook Pro Hard Drive

leSLIe

Fisting is Too Mainstream for Me
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Messages
13,925
I am not that Apple savvy, so I need your help.
I have a Macbook Pro and I want to upgrade its hard drive, to a bigger SSD drive. The hardware part is easy, but I don't want to reinstall the apple OS from scracth. Is there a program to copy the hard drive to the new and bigger hard drive?

Thanx
 

Archer1212

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Messages
10,219
Not really, at least none that I am aware of that play nicely.

Best bet would be to install the OS on the new drive, connect the old one up via USB and have have migration assistant transfer all the data. Then 98% of your data will come over. The other 2% is gonna be system stuff tied to that HDD, maybe some system changes that might have happened, etc.
 

leSLIe

Fisting is Too Mainstream for Me
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Messages
13,925
I have never reinstall the iOS. How do I do that? Can I download it from Apple?
 

ND40oz

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
12,590
I always use Carbon Copy Cloner when I do drive upgrades. It has a free 30 day trial, install it, plug in your new HD in a USB enclosure, clone it over and then swap the physical drives.

https://bombich.com/

Other option is to do a time machine backup to an external drive, than put in your new drive and do a full system restore.
 

leSLIe

Fisting is Too Mainstream for Me
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Messages
13,925
I always use Carbon Copy Cloner when I do drive upgrades. It has a free 30 day trial, install it, plug in your new HD in a USB enclosure, clone it over and then swap the physical drives.

https://bombich.com/

Other option is to do a time machine backup to an external drive, than put in your new drive and do a full system restore.

Would that work from a low capacity HD to a new higher capacity one?
 

Archer1212

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jul 5, 2004
Messages
10,219
I have never reinstall the iOS. How do I do that? Can I download it from Apple?
Totally! From the app store you can download the installer for what ever OS you want to use, then get yourself a flash drive of reasonable size (8gb+ I think) and use terminal with the instructions from here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372
Once your USB installer is made, put in your new SSD, power on, hold option, select the USB installer drive, and start your installation. Once the installation finishes, connect your old drive up via USB and when it asks to transfer info it should see your old drive and allow you to bring it all over.
 

leSLIe

Fisting is Too Mainstream for Me
Joined
Oct 18, 2004
Messages
13,925
Totally! From the app store you can download the installer for what ever OS you want to use, then get yourself a flash drive of reasonable size (8gb+ I think) and use terminal with the instructions from here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372
Once your USB installer is made, put in your new SSD, power on, hold option, select the USB installer drive, and start your installation. Once the installation finishes, connect your old drive up via USB and when it asks to transfer info it should see your old drive and allow you to bring it all over.

Thanks, I will try to do that.
 
Top