Upgrading Internet, will xbox live run with less lag?

ChaosNightWolf

Limp Gawd
I'm going to be upgrading my internet soon and I have two options:

Upgrade to 50Mbps/5Mbps Wideband Internet

or

Upgrade to 30Mbps/5Mbps Wideband Internet

Will upgrading to the 50Mbps/5Mbps provide any advantages over the 30Mbps/5Mbps on Xbox live? Or is 50Mbps overkill? FYI, I only have a single computer and no other devices using bandwidth in the house.

no, download/upload speeds do not affect your lag/ping. Well mabey uload will affect how others experance it if your a host in a matchmaking system.

What matters is your ping, how close you are to your isp's servers and to the game servers, download speeds do not affect this only the quality of the connection and distance it has to travel

Don't know what you're at now, but I've had plenty of no lag matches on Live and PSN and Steam with just 6Mbps down / 512k up DSL; it just depends on a lot more than just pure speed from your provider, as Ragenrok said.

yup. check your ping

upload/download speeds really don't have much to do with it

Shitty internet is shitty internet whether it's coming down to you at 30Mb or 50Mb. Quality always wins over quantity. There is no online game that requires a 1Mb connection, let alone 30/50Mb.

If you're getting a laggy connection in a game, it's latency, which as stated above, can be measured by your ping time to the server you are communicating with. Pinging isn't 100% accurate (many things can impact a ping such as quality of service and firewalls), but it is a good starting place.

well the thing is the docsis 3.0 modem will help. thats the main difference.

If his internet speed was EXTREMELY slow before, like .5mbps dsl or something, he may notice an improvement.

A couple of things not said yet: 1) If you already had a decent connection, may want to check what other things are running on the network there. Computers and playstations running Netflix, torrents, youtube, games and such programs do eat up bandwidth. 2) make sure you are hardwired to xbox. 3) Check settings on router or if its pretty old/cheap it might not be able to handle everything on the network.

Ping is most important for online gaming, which means you should have a wired connection to your cable/dsl modem. If you're on wireless, switch to wired. Also make sure you're DSL filters are in place on anything plugged into phone jacks (except the modem).

my old 5mbps connection was just fine for xbox live, so I highly doubt a 50mbps line will give you any advantages over 30mbps.

games that don't use dedicated servers are still going to lag you considerably if the host has a bad connection. Gears2 shotgun host anyone? lol.

Your path to Xbox Live is much more important than your upload rate. The Gateway's , Switches and various other factors at your ISP that truly effect how many "hops" you have to take to get to and from the Live server are the real things to be concerned with. You then have to also take into consideration the amount of time it takes a message you sent to get to another client through Xbox Live. Plus even if you do have a great connection the odds are the people you are playing won't know jack shit about anything concerning their ISP outside of "it works" and "it's down" so even under the best conditions its mostly out of your hands.

Even if you have an amazing ping , it won't account for any hiccups you have now and again. How stable is your connection? When was the last time it went down as a result of your ISP and not your gear? If you have an inconsistent connection than paying for more speed isn't going to make you lag any less , the only real benefit will be (and that's if everything is working as it should) will be faster downloading of games , patches and the like.

A couple of things not said yet: 1) If you already had a decent connection, may want to check what other things are running on the network there. Computers and playstations running Netflix, torrents, youtube, games and such programs do eat up bandwidth. 2) make sure you are hardwired to xbox. 3) Check settings on router or if its pretty old/cheap it might not be able to handle everything on the network.

there is a fix for that called QOS and priority traffic..most routers even the cheap ones support that stuff now

so is this essentially googles version of on X by MS?

there is a fix for that called QOS and priority traffic..most routers even the cheap ones support that stuff now

QoS helps but it's still better to not have that stuff running.

Thinking more bandwidth = less lag is a common misconception I hear all of the time on XBL from my buddies. Look up latency and ping and do some reading. Test your connection for packet loss and consistent pings - that's the kind of stuff that matters - not the size of the pipe.

My current connection is 10/1. I'm on Time Warner Cable with only one device using the internet. The line goes directly from my router/modem into my PC, and when I play on Xbox Live I disconnect from my PC and connect to my xbox with a wired connection.

In terms of service, it's never down and I always get close to advertise speeds.

So I don't think the problem of having a wireless connection or having multiple devices in the way is a problem. I have a single. hardwired connection with no other devices interrupting.

I forgot to mention though that bumping up my speeds will put me from standard cable to their DOCSIS 3.0 modem, and I'll be moving to "wideband" which according to Time Warner Cable is a semi-fiber optic connection. Does anyone know if I'll see improvements because of that?

My current connection is 10/1. I'm on Time Warner Cable with only one device using the internet. The line goes directly from my router/modem into my PC, and when I play on Xbox Live I disconnect from my PC and connect to my xbox with a wired connection.

In terms of service, it's never down and I always get close to advertise speeds.

So I don't think the problem of having a wireless connection or having multiple devices in the way is a problem. I have a single. hardwired connection with no other devices interrupting.

I forgot to mention though that bumping up my speeds will put me from standard cable to their DOCSIS 3.0 modem, and I'll be moving to "wideband" which according to Time Warner Cable is a semi-fiber optic connection. Does anyone know if I'll see improvements because of that?

if they are improving your line/giving you a better modem then yes it will help. I would go with the 30 down option unless you really want the 50 for download speeds. As for wireless vs hardwire connections, I play my 360 online over my wireless network and it works just fine, while running a network cable is the bets idea using a wireless network is fine for gaming. just dont try and stream High Quality movies as it will not keep up lol

QoS helps but it's still better to not have that stuff running.

Thinking more bandwidth = less lag is a common misconception I hear all of the time on XBL from my buddies. Look up latency and ping and do some reading. Test your connection for packet loss and consistent pings - that's the kind of stuff that matters - not the size of the pipe.

I have router setup so that Xbox are all in DMZ zone and they get first priority. Never had issues. Once the signal leaves the cable modem I have no control over it. I use one of those new motorola surfboard modems sb6141 that is docsis 3.0 compliant. That made a nice difference compared to the old sb 5200.

Current Setup:ISP: Time Warner Cable
Equipment: Arris TG852 (Internet,Router,Voip)
Connection: 10/.49(original) upgraded few months back to 30/5
Change: The improve upload did help, but its not and a wonder drug that will cure all thats wrong with XBL. It takes a combination of things, like low ping, low latency and so on. So run some test and see whats the quality of your connection is first. If there's a problem try to fix that first and see if there's any improvement. In my opinion bandwidth is in important too, since cable is shared with more people online will affect your connection. So try playing at different times to see if there's any change in xbl experience. Oh yeah good equipment is important too, if you can stay away from Ubee products(used be known as Ambit)

Websites (for testing)
Speakeasy
Speedtest
Pingtest
TWC speedtest east

yup.. i know about that. I was trying ot keep it simple for the op.. Sadly when my dlink 655 bit the dust, the cheap and old router that was given to me, dont have it.. Loved my 655 though.. that router was a beast when it came out..

Before I had to give it up, I had 50/3 through the local cable company here where I live (Suddenlink). That definitely came in handy when I was downloading game addons, updates, and the like. But I also had my PC, my wife's PC, a couple of PS3s, and our laptops in addition to my 360.

Back