Upgrading in a few days, Thoughts?!

Probably not for that particular ratio. Just see what boots haha.

Okay woo! Got it to 4.2 right now. I set the CPU voltage to 1.220. So if it's stable, should I try to go lower than that, I wonder? I'm running the AIDA64 test again to see how it does, so far so good. Temps still around 75C max so far.

Ohh, one core hit 79C lol. Even though I know it's not "bad", those high temps always scare me. I used to hate when my 8800GTS's would get to 90C sometimes in the summer if my room was hot. I don't know how long to stress test for, it seems stable so far. Going to play some FFXIV and see how it goes :) Now if only I could overclock my GPU.. My 8800GTS's OCed really really well. But my current card just sucks. I can't raise it at all without getting artifacts and driver crashes, so I gave up a long time ago. Actually, I'll try the k-boost again and see how that goes. Haven't tried in a long time.

Last edited:
Okay woo! Got it to 4.2 right now. I set the CPU voltage to 1.220. So if it's stable, should I try to go lower than that, I wonder? I'm running the AIDA64 test again to see how it does, so far so good. Temps still around 75C max so far.

Ohh, one core hit 79C lol. Even though I know it's not "bad", those high temps always scare me. I used to hate when my 8800GTS's would get to 90C sometimes in the summer if my room was hot. I don't know how long to stress test for, it seems stable so far. Going to play some FFXIV and see how it goes :) Now if only I could overclock my GPU.. My 8800GTS's OCed really really well. But my current card just sucks. I can't raise it at all without getting artifacts and driver crashes, so I gave up a long time ago. Actually, I'll try the k-boost again and see how that goes. Haven't tried in a long time.

If you're happy with that speed and hitting those temps in AIDA, I'd try stepping down the voltage incrementally. I'm not aware of the best way to go about it, but try dropping to 1.21 or 1.2 (or lower) and see if it is still stable.

Once you "think" you have it dialed in, I'd run a long-term stability test at that point (overnight or more) and watch for stability while you're gaming, etc.

AIDA isn't the most difficult, so also consider Intel XTU and even Prime95 (in short bursts, it will make your chip toasty).

Edit: Nice update on the sig! I think EVGA dropped the NEX part with the G2 tho... http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=10&family=Power+Supplies&chipset=750+Watts
EDIT2: And don't forget to register the PSU for the 10 year warranty

Last edited:
If you're happy with that speed and hitting those temps in AIDA, I'd try stepping down the voltage incrementally. I'm not aware of the best way to go about it, but try dropping to 1.21 or 1.2 (or lower) and see if it is still stable.

Once you "think" you have it dialed in, I'd run a long-term stability test at that point (overnight or more) and watch for stability while you're gaming, etc.

AIDA isn't the most difficult, so also consider Intel XTU and even Prime95 (in short bursts, it will make your chip toasty).

Edit: Nice update on the sig! I think EVGA dropped the NEX part with the G2 tho... http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=10&family=Power+Supplies&chipset=750+Watts
EDIT2: And don't forget to register the PSU for the 10 year warranty

I am too scared to run Prime95 all night while I'm asleep haha. I'll have to do it during the day where I can keep an eye on the temps! I actually ram Prime95 before for a bit, temps were between 75-80C with that going. While gaming, the cores all run in the high 40s, low 50s. And this is without the air conditioner on in here at all. So I'm definitely happy with that!

I just tried out BF4 for the first time on here, and wow.. ultra settings! 60FPS! Used to run as low as possible and barely got 20FPS.

Oh thanks for reminding me about that warranty.. I forgot about the rebates too! I didn't even clean up my whole computer disaster area. Boxes and screws everywhere haha.

I think I'll try 1.21. From what I've seen from Googling other peoples results with OCing this CPU, it seems it's an amazing OCer without needing too much voltage? I love it :)

I can't believe how old my signature was. I even had my old Dell Dimension 4550 in it LOL That thing is 11 years old, but it still works actually!

I really wanna order some MX-4 thermal paste.. then replace the stuff that came with the Seidon, but... that thing was AWFUL to install for me. I must have done it right, because everythings okay, but.. I had to put a box underneath the motherboard, and under the bracket on the back of the board, to push it up and hold it in place while I mounted the cooler itself from the other side. It kept falling out. I don't want to do that ever again! But with another person to hold it, it would probably be WAY easier!

Btw, I am glad I listened to everyone on the 250GB SSD. It's half full already! And that's just from the OS and my games, wow. Definitely wouldn't have liked having the 128GB one.. and now I want the 500GB model haha.

Last edited:
Been running fine for a few hours with the voltage at only 1.21! I think tomorrow I will try 1.200. Did Prime95 for a bit, ran fine. But did get around 83C. Again, my air conditioner is off, windows are open, so the ambient temp isn't that great in here. While gaming for the last few hours too, it's been running just at about 44C, GPU running a bit higher with the k-boost on, around 65C. But man, I definitely feel a difference in game :)

Probably another silly question. So I was trying to run OBS to stream FFXIV to see how it goes. When I changed the settings to try to get it to look better, people said the quality was bad, my temps went up to 80C (I should add that my AC was off again, and it was pretty warm in here).

So what confuses me is seeing this:
tcCQYPS.png

How come the task manager says it's at 4.96GHz? AIDA64 says 4.2GHz. Does it throttle itself higher or something?

Probably another silly question. So I was trying to run OBS to stream FFXIV to see how it goes. When I changed the settings to try to get it to look better, people said the quality was bad, my temps went up to 80C (I should add that my AC was off again, and it was pretty warm in here).

[snip]

How come the task manager says it's at 4.96GHz? AIDA64 says 4.2GHz. Does it throttle itself higher or something?

The task manager reads crazy speeds sometimes. Go by AIDA or the Intel tuning utility.

What is OBS? Does it utilize QuickSync or AVX/AVX2? That might explain why you are getting temps in the 80's. (That or high ambient like you said.)

Did you get your voltage down to 1.2v?

The task manager reads crazy speeds sometimes. Go by AIDA or the Intel tuning utility.

What is OBS? Does it utilize QuickSync or AVX/AVX2? That might explain why you are getting temps in the 80's. (That or high ambient like you said.)

Did you get your voltage down to 1.2v?

I'm... not sure what OBS uses haha. I only was able to use it once on my old system, tried streaming and got like 2FPS so I never used it again. Open Broadcast Software. I wonder if I should find something else, I've heard kinda crappy things about OBS by some in my guild. It did stream well though! Good quality, good framerate :)

I haven't lowered the voltage yet. I forgot to do that, gonna try that now! System still running stable, haven't had a single issue yet :)

I'm... not sure what OBS uses haha. I only was able to use it once on my old system, tried streaming and got like 2FPS so I never used it again. Open Broadcast Software. I wonder if I should find something else, I've heard kinda crappy things about OBS by some in my guild. It did stream well though! Good quality, good framerate :)

I haven't lowered the voltage yet. I forgot to do that, gonna try that now! System still running stable, haven't had a single issue yet :)

It appears that you have to tell OBS to use Quick Sync: http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1262922-open-broadcaster-software

That or the Nvidia alternative, NVENC.

I'd use Quick Sync since that portion of the CPU is doing nothing with a dedicated video card.

I'm not sure if you need to change a BIOS option to get Quick Sync to work without a monitor attached. Best way to figure it out is just try (or google it! haha).

That or use Geforce Experience http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-experience-2-0

It appears that you have to tell OBS to use Quick Sync: http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1262922-open-broadcaster-software

That or the Nvidia alternative, NVENC.

I'd use Quick Sync since that portion of the CPU is doing nothing with a dedicated video card.

I'm not sure if you need to change a BIOS option to get Quick Sync to work without a monitor attached. Best way to figure it out is just try (or google it! haha).

That or use Geforce Experience http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/geforce-experience-2-0

Ohh thanks, I'll try this! I also put the voltage to 1.200 before after I commented about it. Been doing some PvP, streaming, etc, no issues with stability :D I wonder now if I could get it to 1.9 haha. I guess it's worth a try? Seems pretty low.

Ah yeah, I don't have the Quick Sync option there in my settings like in the screenshot on that link. Or the NVENC thing either.

HM I don't see anything in the bios. Under integrated graphics config I only see two things. Initiate graphic adapter and IGD multi monitor.

Ohh thanks, I'll try this! I also put the voltage to 1.200 before after I commented about it. Been doing some PvP, streaming, etc, no issues with stability :D I wonder now if I could get it to 1.9 haha. I guess it's worth a try? Seems pretty low.

Ah yeah, I don't have the Quick Sync option there in my settings like in the screenshot on that link. Or the NVENC thing either.

Maybe it's only in the beta build or something. I really have no idea. ;)

If you can find a way to get it to use that feature, it will take the load off your CPU cores.

Also, if you feel like experimenting on the overclocking, purchasing this isn't a bad idea: http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

I have it on both my processors just in case!

Maybe it's only in the beta build or something. I really have no idea. ;)

If you can find a way to get it to use that feature, it will take the load off your CPU cores.

Also, if you feel like experimenting on the overclocking, purchasing this isn't a bad idea: http://click.intel.com/tuningplan/

I have it on both my processors just in case!

WHOA, that is awesome! Only $20 too!? Hm.. that's.. really neat! I really do love messing with overclocking even though I'm still kinda a noob at it :p Think I'll try lowering it one more time. Actually, what is the next step after 1.200. Is it just 1.900? Or do people do 1.950 or something.

Also trying to decide if I want to get the MX-4 compound, and re-seat the cooler. That was just such a pain in the ass to get on, that I'm not sure if it's worth it or not lol. A couple of degree of a difference would be nice though!

Try following this video to get Quick Sync working: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7iUY5UJsLI

I'll check that out!

God, I can't get over this PC... I'm raiding right now, and it just.. FFXIV looks like a completely different game now. Can't believe I can finally max it at 1080p and get over 60FPS. This is.. amazing. You guys rock for helping me through all this! I may have broken my ankle before going to MicroCenter, but I got a new toy to play with while I lay in bed haha ;)

Gonna try out the 1.900 voltage and hope it stays stable haha.

I'll check that out!

God, I can't get over this PC... I'm raiding right now, and it just.. FFXIV looks like a completely different game now. Can't believe I can finally max it at 1080p and get over 60FPS. This is.. amazing. You guys rock for helping me through all this! I may have broken my ankle before going to MicroCenter, but I got a new toy to play with while I lay in bed haha ;)

Gonna try out the 1.900 voltage and hope it stays stable haha.

1.19V right? ;)

Welp, trying the voltage at 1.190! Running Prime95 while gaming, seeing how it goes. Temps hitting 71C only. Not bad :) Still trying to decide if I want the MX-4 compound and to re-seat the cooler or not haha.

Welp, trying the voltage at 1.190! Running Prime95 while gaming, seeing how it goes. Temps hitting 71C only. Not bad :) Still trying to decide if I want the MX-4 compound and to re-seat the cooler or not haha.

Nice. I would save the TIM change for the next time you clean or reorganize components. I doubt you would see more than a few degree change at best, which won't matter when you aren't stress testing.

Nice. I would save the TIM change for the next time you clean or reorganize components. I doubt you would see more than a few degree change at best, which won't matter when you aren't stress testing.

Yeah I will probably just end up doing that :) I guess I seated it okay. Still was really hard to do. I literally had to put a box under the case/motherboard, to push the bracket against the back and the screws through, in order to have two free hands to screw on the cooler itself! So I was worried about it not being on tight enough. But still getting temps barely hitting 70C with stress testing and gaming together :)

I thought it had locked up, but somehow my mouse stopped working until I unplugged it and plugged it in again. I'll be so happy if I can keep it at just 1.190 at 4.2GHz! Almost makes me want to push it to 4.4.. but.. I think I'll keep it here ;)

Oh sweet jesus, Instead of using AIDA64, I went to use Prime95 for a little bit and my cores went up to 87C-91C. WAY too high for me, ouch. That was just in 20 minutes of testing. So I'm not sure if I should just leave my system as it is, keep doing my regular stuff, gaming, and assume it's stable.. Or keep running Prime95, or at least the AIDA stress test again, for a few hours to make sure. I really don't like it getting up to 90 though, 80 was bad enough!

While just gaming and stuff, with my AC on, my temps are in the high 30s, low 40s. So that's good at least.

And I just noticed this in AIDA
5lQ0kh5.png

Edit: k 1.19 is a no-go lol. Locked up after about an hour of stress testing. Back to 1.20 again! Still happy with that, seems like a pretty nice voltage for the speed :) next I wanna see what kinda cool apps or programs people like for Windows 8.1. So far I've really only installed the back to start thing, which is great. Skype app for 8 is atrocious,so I put the desktop version on instead. Totally miss my Rocketdock though.

Last edited:
Oh sweet jesus, Instead of using AIDA64, I went to use Prime95 for a little bit and my cores went up to 87C-91C. WAY too high for me, ouch. That was just in 20 minutes of testing. So I'm not sure if I should just leave my system as it is, keep doing my regular stuff, gaming, and assume it's stable.. Or keep running Prime95, or at least the AIDA stress test again, for a few hours to make sure. I really don't like it getting up to 90 though, 80 was bad enough!

While just gaming and stuff, with my AC on, my temps are in the high 30s, low 40s. So that's good at least.

Prime 95 does that to all Haswell processors (except maybe a miracle one and a chip that has been properly delidded). I wouldn't worry about it, because you will never see those temps in regular (or even heavy) use. It is worst of worst case. Great way to check stability, though!

I'd use AIDA, Prime, Intel XTU, and other tests in combination (one at a time obviously haha) to test stability. Throw in some 64 player BF4 as well.

Prime 95 does that to all Haswell processors (except maybe a miracle one and a chip that has been properly delidded). I wouldn't worry about it, because you will never see those temps in regular (or even heavy) use. It is worst of worst case. Great way to check stability, though!

I'd use AIDA, Prime, Intel XTU, and other tests in combination (one at a time obviously haha) to test stability. Throw in some 64 player BF4 as well.

That's good to know. And man, BF4 looks beautiful. I was showing my friend, he plays BF4 on his PS3... and it's just like a completely different game. Again, I'm so shocked by wimpy 650 ti boost can max out these games on ultra settings at 1080p, with over 60FPS! Amazing. for a $175 card haha.

My GPU also hasn't crashed at all with the k-boost on, which is amazing. Used to crash with even a slight overclock. Maybe it was just my system as a whole, somehow.

And thanks again for all the advice and help :) Totally have helped me out a ton!

Edit: Aw damn, locked up again lol. So I went to go increase the voltage from 1.2 to 1.21 and then realized it didn't save my change before from 1.19 in the first place, oops.

That's good to know. And man, BF4 looks beautiful. I was showing my friend, he plays BF4 on his PS3... and it's just like a completely different game. Again, I'm so shocked by wimpy 650 ti boost can max out these games on ultra settings at 1080p, with over 60FPS! Amazing. for a $175 card haha.

My GPU also hasn't crashed at all with the k-boost on, which is amazing. Used to crash with even a slight overclock. Maybe it was just my system as a whole, somehow.

And thanks again for all the advice and help :) Totally have helped me out a ton!

Edit: Aw damn, locked up again lol. So I went to go increase the voltage from 1.2 to 1.21 and then realized it didn't save my change before from 1.19 in the first place, oops.

Glad to help. You may want to look up a Devil's Canyon overclocking guide to tweak further. I'm sure you can get much higher than 4.2 if you try.

You got an awesome start, though! Plenty of places to stick fans in that case, your hardware is solid, and you can easily add a second GPU in the future. It's fun to have a fast system!

I seem to be stable at 4.5GHz core / 4.1GHz cache on mine with a fixed 1.23 core volts, 1.16 cache volts, and 1.8 input volts. Much nicer than the first 4790K I had, which wasn't much better than my 4770K (which itself is a dud haha).

Glad to help. You may want to look up a Devil's Canyon overclocking guide to tweak further. I'm sure you can get much higher than 4.2 if you try.

You got an awesome start, though! Plenty of places to stick fans in that case, your hardware is solid, and you can easily add a second GPU in the future. It's fun to have a fast system!

I seem to be stable at 4.5GHz core / 4.1GHz cache on mine with a fixed 1.23 core volts, 1.16 cache volts, and 1.8 input volts. Much nicer than the first 4790K I had, which wasn't much better than my 4770K (which itself is a dud haha).

1.2 seems to be the sweet spot for my processor at 4.2GHz. Still no stability issues, temps getting up to 76C with the Intel stress testing tool. God I love this computer haha. Totally worth the money. And I'm glad I have something to do while I'm now bed-ridden on this messed up ankle ;) But I've got my priorities in life set. Break my ankle, lose consciousness from the pain, 15 minutes later go to MicroCenter to pick up my parts hahaha.

I hope this system is future-proofed better than my old one. When I built my old PC.. I think it was only a month or two later than the new socket boards came out, so I was pretty much stuck with the 775 board and DDR2 RAM.

Hope I don't regret not getting the i7 ;) Right now, I don't at all. Would be nice for the future, but this thing is plenty enough for me as of now! Oh and I am so adding more fans to it. Did that in my old case, I kinda wish it had a side fan, but I love the case. Btw, do the case fans go at 100%? I need to figure that out. If they can go faster, I totally want them to. The sound doesn't bother me at all.

Btw, do the case fans go at 100%? I need to figure that out. If they can go faster, I totally want them to. The sound doesn't bother me at all.

Depends on how you hooked them up. If it's to the motherboard, you can set fan curves in the bios (I think under hardware monitor).

If you hooked it to the 760T controller, I think it only has two speeds: fast or slow.

Depends on how you hooked them up. If it's to the motherboard, you can set fan curves in the bios (I think under hardware monitor).

If you hooked it to the 760T controller, I think it only has two speeds: fast or slow.

I totally must have done something wrong with the fan controller in the case. Because when I press the button, it doesn't change them at all. Must have messed up something, though I thought in the instructions it said the fans that came with the case were already hooked up to the controller.

I believe I set all three case fans to the motherboard ohh.. gonna check it out. And already was checking out more fans, I think I can put another 140mm on top and a fan on the bottom. I never thought about a fan on the bottom, my old case didn't have vents down there. That's really interesting. But man, the 'good' fans seem really expensive now lol

Today I'm going to take my SSD out of the HDD tray it's in, and put it on that mount that's in the back of the case. Then take another of my 500GB Seagate HDD's from my old system and put it in this one.. I'm.. already filling up that SSD fast haha. 73GB free now :p Now I really want another 250GB just to put games on haha. I love this thing.

And Windows 8 is so fun to customize! Glad Rainmeter and Rocketdock still work with it :)

fTvdTGB.jpg

There we go! :) The only wire that needs to be adjusted is the CPU power wire going across the top. It's too short to route better. Gotta get an extension or something. Otherwise.. I'm not sure what else I could do haha. Definitely getting more fans though soon!

Okay I have a question I forgot to ask originally. So on my motherboard, there are 8 pins, I guess two 4-pin adapters, for the CPU. I just plugged in one of the 4-pin plugs from my PSU. I probably should plug in the other one to the motherboard too, I guess?

http://www.amazon.com/CB-8P-Individ...id=1407347033&sr=1-1&keywords=8-pin+extension
Not sure if this is what I need or not. I'm confused by the whole 8-pin thing, not gonna lie. The wire I'm using for the CPU I think is 4-pin x2? Two 4-pins on it? Would I want to get an 8-pin extension, would it even work? Or do I need just one 4-pin, or two 4-pins x_x

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes, you want to "combine" the split eight pin and plug it all in. That extension works fine; I have used it a few times myself.

A 120mm fan on the bottom would be great. You could even flip your PSU over so it gets air from outside the case. Would make it easier to get a more neutral or positive pressure setup (intakes more air than exhausts to cut down on dust).

Did you setup the AIO to exhaust air out the back or intake?

Yes, you want to "combine" the split eight pin and plug it all in. That extension works fine; I have used it a few times myself.

A 120mm fan on the bottom would be great. You could even flip your PSU over so it gets air from outside the case. Would make it easier to get a more neutral or positive pressure setup (intakes more air than exhausts to cut down on dust).

Did you setup the AIO to exhaust air out the back or intake?

Geez, you've helped me so much ahaha, this post is at so many comments already. I just plugged in the other 4-pin connector :) I didn't even think to put my PSU in the other way.. I'm trying to get used to having a case with vents on the bottom for stuff. So the better cooling solution would be for it to be the other way around? I believe the fan on radiator on the back is exhausting.. I think.. if I did it right haha. A fan on the bottom would be best as intake, right? I have a bunch of 120mm thermaltake fans I could use but... they don't match :rolleyes: They have blue lights, and that just wouldn't be acceptable ;)

Geez, you've helped me so much ahaha, this post is at so many comments already. I just plugged in the other 4-pin connector :) I didn't even think to put my PSU in the other way.. I'm trying to get used to having a case with vents on the bottom for stuff. So the better cooling solution would be for it to be the other way around? I believe the fan on radiator on the back is exhausting.. I think.. if I did it right haha. A fan on the bottom would be best as intake, right? I have a bunch of 120mm thermaltake fans I could use but... they don't match :rolleyes: They have blue lights, and that just wouldn't be acceptable ;)

Maybe I've helped, some might disagree!

I'd probably set the case up like this, with blue being intake and red being exhaust:

nJlXB9J.jpg

Some people set the top to intake as well, but I personally don't.

And yeah, can't use blue fans! Not like you honestly need to be that concerned about filling in the the spots! :p

Maybe I've helped, some might disagree!

I'd probably set the case up like this, with blue being intake and red being exhaust:

nJlXB9J.jpg

Some people set the top to intake as well, but I personally don't.

And yeah, can't use blue fans! Not like you honestly need to be that concerned about filling in the the spots! :p

I have the back one set to exhaust also, I believe. So we would do it the same way then I think :) I think that when I can afford to buy them, I'm going to get three 120mm fans for the top instead of two 140mm fans. I actually can't figure out how two 140mm go up there, I only notice the holes for one 140mm. So weird.

So I would need like... four fans then haha. And I know they'll cost a decent amount if I don't go for the cheap loud as hell ones :p I think I'll make it so the PSU is the other way around, and the fan can be directly on the bottom too :)

msYnCfZ.jpg

NUf6ex1.jpg

Got the CPU power extension today and put it in :) Now there's no annoying wires in the way! This is the best wiring job I've ever done haha. So nice to have a modular PSU and a case with actual routing options, so happy :D

Man, I went and was reading through my thread from my first build (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1289172) and it's a hilarious 13 pages of me getting so frustrated that I even threatened to return the parts and buy a Dell LOL. I really had an insane amount of issues with that. The dead GPU, dead HDD, that annoying Vista and 3GB+ of RAM BSOD issue. Glad everyone helped me through it and told me not to give up haha. Also always nice to see a lot of the same people who helped me back then, helped me in this post too ;)

Last edited:
Back