Upgrading GeForce video cards with GeForce Experience

RareAir23

Limp Gawd
Hi all. So for the longest time (about 3-4 years now) I've been using my current GeForce GTX 1080 and for the last about 2-3 years I've been using it with nVIDIA's GeForce Experience. I haven't had to upgrade cards for as long as I've been using GeForce Experience so my question is when I get my RTX 3080 (maybe on Thursday, maybe further down the road) and change it out from my GTX 1080 what needs to happen in Windows/GeForce Experience when I finish the hardware part of the upgrade? Do I need to reinstall drivers? Do I need to reinstall eVGA Precision X1 (as I am using that too)? I sense users on this forum have upgraded a card with GeForce Experience installed but I never have and I just want to be as prepared as I can for it. Thanks in advance for your advice and answers and until next time I am out!

Hi all. So for the longest time (about 3-4 years now) I've been using my current GeForce GTX 1080 and for the last about 2-3 years I've been using it with nVIDIA's GeForce Experience. I haven't had to upgrade cards for as long as I've been using GeForce Experience so my question is when I get my RTX 3080 (maybe on Thursday, maybe further down the road) and change it out from my GTX 1080 what needs to happen in Windows/GeForce Experience when I finish the hardware part of the upgrade? Do I need to reinstall drivers? Do I need to reinstall eVGA Precision X1 (as I am using that too)? I sense users on this forum have upgraded a card with GeForce Experience installed but I never have and I just want to be as prepared as I can for it. Thanks in advance for your advice and answers and until next time I am out!
Yes do a clean uninstall of the drivers and everything. Shut down and swap out the cards then go ahead reinstall all the new drivers and stuff. I would disconnect from the internet before turning it back on cause windows 10 likes to start installing the version they have after booting back up.

Display Driver Uninstaller is super handy for this. It has a setting for installing a new card that'll keep Windows from installing new drivers and that annoying UWP app.
You shouldn't need to full-on uninstall/re-install Precision X1, but you'll want to reset all of your settings to their defaults. A quick way to do that is to delete the EVGA folder in AppData/Local.

Back