Upgrading from Win xp pro to Windows 7?

GMcDougal

Gawd
i thought i read that its not possible to upgrade from win xp to windows 7. ive been holding out from buying windows vista 64 so i can get windows 7. am i going to be forced to buy windows vista?

Sovereign

2[H]4U
You can certainly upgrade (XP owners are eligible for upgrade pricing) but what you cannot do is a in-place upgrade that leaves all your settings and files alone. You must do a clean install. Unless you want to borrow someone's Vista disk, install it as an upgrade trial, then install 7 on top of that, activating Windows 7 and using Vista as a bridge. I don't know if 7 will allow that (upgrading from a Vista trial).

Arainach

2[H]4U
You're eligible for upgrade PRICING (i.e. you can buy the upgrade installation), but you can't actually upgrade unless you upgrade XP to Vista and then upgrade Vista to 7; you'll have to wipe the HD and do a clean install.

Bcc335

n00b
I'm also holding out for windows7, glad to know I can at least get upgrade pricing. :) I'll be doing a clean install when it drops. Didnt know about the vista upgrade trial to win7 route. Interesting

Just wondered how many of you downloaded Windows 7 RC this morning? Well, I did and, while I ran into several, not unexpected problems, it looks very promising. No compatible drivers from Logitech and only beta drivers for my X-Fi card from Creative. Boot up is relatively quick, can't say the same for shut down. So, what's your experience been so far? I'm not a gamer so I can't comment in that area.

Last edited: