Upgrading from RX480 4GB to 6650XT on PCIE3.0 // Update - Artifacts with TAA on

qwertyaas

Gawd
Been a while since last upgrade and just picked up a 6650XT for $220 with Last of Us.

Currently running:

• ASUS x370 Prime
• R3600
• 16GB ballistix
• 750w EVGA PSU
• RX480 4GB

Is being stuck on PCIE3.0 at 8x a big performance hit? Should I return and go for a 6600/6700 non XT or it's not really a big difference and keep the 6650XT?

No plans on upgrading the mobo for now.

Update on last post here:

Last edited:
I don't think it will make a difference, the card isn't fast enough to worry about the lanes. Its a HUGE upgrade over the 480 though.
Thanks!

Yeah especially given I have a 4GB 480.

Then interface itself (4.0 vs 3.0) as well as lanes aren't anything to worry about?

Thanks!

Yeah especially given I have a 4GB 480.

Then interface itself (4.0 vs 3.0) as well as lanes aren't anything to worry about?

Hm, now that I'm thinking about it the card is an x8 bus isn't it? You might lose a little performance in that case since an x8 3.0 is like an x4 4.0. I think this only really applies if you're using a lot of vram. Maybe I should test this, I have a 6600 laying around.

Last edited:
Hm, now that I'm thinking about it the card is an x8 bus isn't it? You might lose a little performance in that case since an x8 3.0 is like an x4 4.0. I think this only really applies if you're using a lot of vram. Maybe I should test this, I have a 6600XT laying around.
Yeah it's x8. So unsure the impact of being stuck in PCIE3.0

Since I believe my own testing, I popped my 6600 into a machine I have here. Its a little slower than the 6650XT but it shouldn't matter that much.

Best game I had at hand for benching is Cyberpunk 2077 since it has a built-in benchmark. Here are the results, max fps was a decent amount lower but the average and lows were not really affected. I could not tell any difference watching it. Settings High/Ultra mix no RT no FSR. Maybe results are different at 1440p? But to me these are not 1440p cards, I can test it if you like though.

PCI-E 4.0 x8
8x4.jpg

PCI-E 3.0 x8
8x3.jpg

RX570 4GB
570.jpg

Last edited:
Since I believe my own testing, I popped my 6600 into a machine I have here. Its a little slower than the 6650XT but it shouldn't matter that much.

Best game I had at hand for benching is Cyberpunk 2077 since it has a built-in benchmark. Here are the results, max fps was a decent amount lower but the average and lows were not really affected. I could not tell any difference watching it. Settings High/Ultra mix no RT no FSR. Maybe results are different at 1440p? But to me these are not 1440p cards, I can test it if you like though.

PCI-E 4.0 x8
View attachment 573177

PCI-E 3.0 x8
View attachment 573176
Thanks for that! Barely any difference on average so seems minimal so guess I'll keep the card. Also for that price tag.

Thanks for that! Barely any difference on average so seems minimal so guess I'll keep the card. Also for that price tag.

Honestly, even if it loses 10% its still going to be more than twice as fast as your current card. I just updated my post above with numbers for an RX570 4GB which is pretty much identical to a 480 4GB. BIG difference. Lots of stuttering too.

Last edited:
Honestly, even if it loses 10% its still going to be more than twice as fast as your current card. I just updated my post above with numbers for an RX570 4GB which is pretty much identical to a 480 4GB. BIG difference. Lots of stuttering too.
Super helpful.

Thanks for running those benchmarks!

If I can find a closely priced 6700 I might consider it otherwise I'll roll with the 6650

PCI-E 4.0 x8
View attachment 573177

PCI-E 3.0 x8
View attachment 573176

RX570 4GB
View attachment 573180

That's the answer I've been searching for..

Thanks you for the due diligence *tips hat

The 6650XT got such a nice uplift over the 6600XT, unless you feel you overpaid it is a great bang for the buck card for sure.
If you are worried about future proofing then judge the extra cost to bump to a 6700 or 6700XT as they will give you extra legs going forward as are PCIe-4 and greater RAM.

I recently purchased 2nd hand cards: 1x rx 6600 8gb for me and 1x rx 470 8gb for my brother.
The jump is 100% from 470 to 6600 so worth it, and both cards run on PCIE 3.0.
No need to worry about the lanes until "maybe" next gen release.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4090-pci-express-scaling/28.html

Yeah the 66XX series is really good bang for the buck right now, very strong performance at 1080p for the price. The 6650XT at $219 is a steal.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for sending. Shows OOS but I'll check again until I install the next few days.
there were only 6 i think, its now down to one left...
thats what happened to me, there were 10, i hemmed and hawed and missed them.

there were only 6 i think, its now down to one left...
thats what happened to me, there were 10, i hemmed and hawed and missed them.
they'll keep adding more.. they limit the number to make it look like they're selling faster to get people to jump on them.. then they'll go OOS and magically 6 hours later there's 10 more.

If you had the card in PCIe 4 with B550 and my 5600x, this RX 6600 has 100w limit on the gpu in stock form http://www.3dmark.com/fs/30196282 driver 23.5 .2

You can use the power slider and allow for 120w gpu limit and that score will climb, also you can rise the gpu clocks.

It's an amazing card that sips power.

It's an amazing card that sips really low power compared to the same performance bracket card.
Slight correction :)

Note: my sapphire rx6600 pulse uses only 105w max (and run stable with clock gpu 2800 / mem 1800 @1050mV

The driver says it's doing 198.8 avg in Fortnite at these settings, never mind me as I suck at Fortnite. RX 6600 stock form on a 43" Hisense Roku 4K TV @ 60hz via HDMI

Slight correction :)

Note: my sapphire rx6600 pulse uses only 105w max (and run stable with clock gpu 2800 / mem 1800 @1050mV
I have the Pulse Lite, missing two display ports out the back, I guess it was made when we had shortages on parts and Sapphire made do.

Not to start a new thread, got the 6650XT installed and having odd issues while testing Battlefield 1.

When setting TAA as on, everything lights up like a Christmas tree. Temps are fine, card isn't maxing out VRAM.

Tried other games (Witcher 3, BF4, JC4, Shadow of Mordor, Jedi FO) and benchmarks and no issues anywhere else. All on highest settings.

See screens attached. The 2 screens with TAA have those red/purple circles all over and weird artifacts. When turning TAA off, goes away. Everything else set to Ultra

Specs:

• R5 3600
  • Asus x370 Pro
  • 16GB Ballistix
  • ASRock 6650XT
  • Corsair HX520 (have an EVGA 750G+ I'm going to swap in)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-13 180938.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-13 180938.png
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2023-06-13 181027.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-13 181027.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-06-13 181003.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-13 181003.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Not to start a new thread, got the 6650XT installed and having odd issues while testing Battlefield 1.

When setting TAA as on, everything lights up like a Christmas tree. Temps are fine, card isn't maxing out VRAM.

Tried other games (Witcher 3, BF4, JC4, Shadow of Mordor, Jedi FO) and benchmarks and no issues anywhere else. All on highest settings.

See screens attached. The 2 screens with TAA have those red/purple circles all over and weird artifacts. When turning TAA off, goes away. Everything else set to Ultra

Specs:

• R5 3600
  • Asus x370 Pro
  • 16GB Ballistix
  • ASRock 6650XT
  • Corsair HX520 (have an EVGA 750G+ I'm going to swap in)
reinstall the newest drivers and verify the game files.

you can also try dropping all the setting to low and turn taa on to see if it always happens. also check in the control panel that any aa enhancements are off.

you can also try dropping all the setting to low and turn taa on to see if it always happens. also check in the control panel that any aa enhancements are off.
TAA on when low did the same thing. AA is set to use App settings.

Repairing the game now so I'll check once it's complete.

TXAA/TAA is Nvidia. No wonder it doesn't work.
That not why it isn't working properly. Gotta be a driver issue. I would just use a different, likely crappier, AA method for now and keep trying it each time you update your drivers.

Run Display Driver Uninstaller and fully wipe and reinstall. People told me I can just update in the past and it caused me all kinds of issues.

Since the topic is PCIe 3 vs. 4, at what level of card (any PCIe 4.0 x16) would an older MB, say x370 PCIe 3.0 like the OP's and mine, be legitimately holding it back?

That not why it isn't working properly. Gotta be a driver issue. I would just use a different, likely crappier, AA method for now and keep trying it each time you update your drivers.
Thanks. But it's definitely TAA. Everything on Low and TAA on and it does that.

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't the GPU causing artifacts, and just wonky setting/driver combo.

Since the topic is PCIe 3 vs. 4, at what level of card (any PCIe 4.0 x16) would an older MB, say x370 PCIe 3.0 like the OP's and mine, be legitimately holding it back?
Ran 3DMark and Userbenchmark and my scores seem inline.

From all I read and replies here, impact seems minimal, if any.

Thanks. But it's definitely TAA. Everything on Low and TAA on and it does that.

Just wanted to make sure it wasn't the GPU causing artifacts, and just wonky setting/driver combo.

I was referring to the post I quoted on TAA being a "nVidia feature" and that being why it doesn't work. Which it's not and it's not why it's not working properly.

I was referring to the post I quoted on TAA being a "nVidia feature" and that being why it doesn't work. Which it's not and it's not why it's not working properly.
Oh I know. Just mean that's what's doing it on my end. Buy if it's a driver issue, it's not a big deal.

I went and checked and it's not doing that for me. Although to be fair, I'm on Radeon 7900 XTX, so different hardware. But it is not nVidia hardware, and the TAA was working normally.

p.s. I forgot how soft the image is in this game with TAA.

Ran 3DMark and Userbenchmark and my scores seem inline.

From all I read and replies here, impact seems minimal, if any.
I think you missed what I was asking. At what level of a GPU would PCIe 3.0 x16 be held back. A RTX4070? RTX4080? RX7900XTX? RTX4090?

Back