Upgrading from HD 6850 to GTX 570

Sandbox2

n00b
I'm trying to upgrade from hd 6850 to gtx 570. Can someone give me the proper steps in doing so?

Because after installing my gtx 570 card nothihng shows up on my screen. It's not recognizing the hdmi.

thats not hardly an upgrade...

you have the 570 powered with 2 6pin connectors?

Because after installing my gtx 570 card nothihng shows up on my screen. It's not recognizing the hdmi.

Will the computer post at all? Do you have onboard video to see if you are actually able to boot the computer?

I had a problem a few months ago when changing out my video card. When turning the computer on, the fans would spin, but nothing would happen. No harddrive activity, no power to any USB devices, etc. Reseting the bios settings on the motherboard to default fixed everything. Read your motherboard manual to find out how to do this...Unless your motherboard has a bios reset button, you will need to short a jumper on your motherboard and/or remove the CMOS battery...I had to do both.

I'm trying to upgrade from hd 6850 to gtx 570. Can someone give me the proper steps in doing so?

Can you tell if your computer is booting anyway? Like, do you see the hard drive LED blinking away? If you have onboard video, you could try booting with that to see if the GTX570 is being detected at all. Tell us more about the rest of your system, particularly what motherboard and power supply you are using.

thats not hardly an upgrade...

I think the upgrade makes great sense actually. The 6850 is one of AMD's last cards before they switched from the VLIW5 architecture over to GCN. Because of this, the 6850 is stuck using legacy drivers. The newest legacy drivers date back to July of 2015, with a beta available from Feb of 2016. Obviously, things are going to be iffy with new games and it's only going to get worse as time goes on. The GTX 570 on the other hand, is still supported by the very newest Nvidia drivers, the same drivers that you would download if you had a GTX 1080.

Intel Core2Quad q8300
6 gb ram
ocz 750 psu
currently: hd 6850

My issue is low frame rates even on low settings so I thought upgrading this vid card would help.

Can you tell if your computer is booting anyway? Like, do you see the hard drive LED blinking away? If you have onboard video, you could try booting with that to see if the GTX570 is being detected at all. Tell us more about the rest of your system, particularly what motherboard and power supply you are using.

I think the upgrade makes great sense actually. The 6850 is one of AMD's last cards before they switched from the VLIW5 architecture over to GCN. Because of this, the 6850 is stuck using legacy drivers. The newest legacy drivers date back to July of 2015, with a beta available from Feb of 2016. Obviously, things are going to be iffy with new games and it's only going to get worse as time goes on. The GTX 570 on the other hand, is still supported by the very newest Nvidia drivers, the same drivers that you would download if you had a GTX 1080.

Well I have a geforce 560ti and I just sold a Zotac 580 1.5gb and its performance today is not impressive at all. barely play overwatch smooth 1080p on medium settings. Hopefully you got it for free, then thats an upgrade :)

Last edited:
Intel Core2Quad q8300
6 gb ram
ocz 750 psu

out of these parts, is the cpu the one I actually need to upgrade to improve FPS?

Intel Core2Quad q8300
6 gb ram
ocz 750 psu

out of these parts, is the cpu the one I actually need to upgrade to improve FPS?

The problem is that the mobo is old also and can't support a new cpu. A GPU will help with frames but not the 570. How about a 1050 instead?

If the computer is booting and you are getting no video, you could try setting up team viewer with a working display. Then set it to autostart, then you could maybe remote into the machine to see what's happening.

Also I would suggest ddu to get rid of the old drivers from the system.

Also if you are stickin with 775 for a while you might look at the 771 mods and get a low powered xeon with some oc potential. This might close the bottleneck somewhat at a real low $$

Back