Upgrading from GTX 1080 FE to GTX 1080ti?

zamardii12

2[H]4U
Hey everyone, I just wanted to know if anyone has upgraded from a vanilla 1080 to a ti and whether it was worth it. Now, if you're rolling in money this question doesn't apply but I was curious if the price difference is/was justifiable for the increase in performance you get/got?

Hey everyone, I just wanted to know if anyone has upgraded from a vanilla 1080 to a ti and whether it was worth it. Now, if you're rolling in money this question doesn't apply but I was curious if the price difference is/was justifiable for the increase in performance you get/got?

It worth it, every penny, performance gain is great.

The question is, is 1080 enough for your needs? I play at 1440p with g-sync and seriously have no priblem with great performance I already get in GTA V, Titanfall 2, BF1 and any other modern game. I don't see a reason in my case to get ti, but can easily wait to see what volta will bring and if there will be games worth upgrading.

The question is, is 1080 enough for your needs? I play at 1440p with g-sync and seriously have no priblem with great performance I already get in GTA V, Titanfall 2, BF1 and any other modern game. I don't see a reason in my case to get ti, but can easily wait to see what volta will bring and if there will be games worth upgrading.

My display maxes out at 60hz @ 1440p and most of my games are fine but recently I just tried Ghost Recon Wildlands and was hitting in the mid 40s for FPS and the same for Crysis 3 with dips lower at times. It's fine for what I am using for, but was just curious if I could sell my 1080 then would the ti be a good enough reason to do so.

My display maxes out at 60hz @ 1440p and most of my games are fine but recently I just tried Ghost Recon Wildlands and was hitting in the mid 40s for FPS and the same for Crysis 3 with dips lower at times. It's fine for what I am using for, but was just curious if I could sell my 1080 then would the ti be a good enough reason to do so.

That's not right. My 43" screen @ 60Hz & 1440p, my 1070 chews right though it. I was having issues with FC4 and online playing with a friend as during gameplay some maps would drop fps to unplayable levels, but that was something with their servers and not our hardware. If your gameplay drops fps to 40 and below, you've got other issues.

Check to see if you have Vsync enabled and disable it.

That's not right. My 43" screen @ 60Hz & 1440p, my 1070 chews right though it. I was having issues with FC4 and online playing with a friend as during gameplay some maps would drop fps to unplayable levels, but that was something with their servers and not our hardware. If your gameplay drops fps to 40 and below, you've got other issues.

Check to see if you have Vsync enabled and disable it.

I'll try it. Just did a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro yesterday.

Do you have MSI Afterburner or similar installed?

I noticed after either a driver update or Afterburner update a week ago, my power limit got stuck at like 65% or something low so the card refused to actually clock up higher than like 1200 core. I was just playing The Witcher before the update, so I had a good frame of reference that something was off when I loaded it back up. Few minutes later I realized that was it.

It was like 65 fps vs 95 fps or something bonkers.

Do you have MSI Afterburner or similar installed?

I noticed after either a driver update or Afterburner update a week ago, my power limit got stuck at like 65% or something low so the card refused to actually clock up higher than like 1200 core. I was just playing The Witcher before the update, so I had a good frame of reference that something was off when I loaded it back up. Few minutes later I realized that was it.

It was like 65 fps vs 95 fps or something bonkers.

No I don't have Afterburner installed. Just a fresh install of Windows 10 and the latest Nvidia drivers. No overclocks.

I went from a 1080 FE to a 1080Ti Aorus Xtreme. Running on a 1600p screen and I find the upgrade... underwhelming.
I do not see the 35% increment Nvidia taunts about improvement from 1080 to ti (FE to FE I supposed). It's more like 30% on average across the board in my case, which mean, certain games only improve 20+ percent.

Just like Raendor said, if you are have a 1440p G-Sync Monitor, 1080 is pretty fine for now, and you can near max out settings in most games and still maintain >=45FPS.

I'm running a 980Ti on a 1440p 144hz gsync display and I'm on the fence. If I had a 1080, it would be a very easy decision for me to wait for Volta.

Moved from 1080 SLi to a single 1080 Ti. Was worth it. Play it on GSync 165 Hz display.
Lack of SLi support also made the decision easier.

My 1080 Ti at 2063/6000MHz gets 60 to 80 FPS at 1080P with max settings. It really depends on what settings you are wanting to run with Ghost Recon: Wildlands.

I've got a 4K TV, and even with just the high preset and AA turned off it was dipping below 60 FPS - That's why I decided to drop it down to 1080P and max out the settings.

Back