Upgrading from dual Dell SP2309w

praetorian

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

I'm looking for suggestions on where to go with the setup that I'm currently running as one of my Dell's has developed a fault with a nasty green line down the whole screen on the left hand side :( Both are also outside of the warranty period as well and considering the screen is old, it's easier just to replace with a new monitor.

I use the machine for both work as well as gaming (main rig in sig) so I'm considering the following options which I'd appreciate some advice on:

1) Stay with the dual monitor setup and change the faulty Dell for something equivalent - difficult because nothing has the non-standard res that I'm used to (2048x1152 for the SP2309w);
2) Dump the dual monitor setup and move over to a 1440p monitor such as the Dell U2711, Dell U3011 or take a gamble on one of the Korean imports.

Anybody know of an alternative to the SP2309w that is going around? I've had a look but mostly they're all 1080p screens now which is worse since I moved to the Dell's res after having 1920x1200.

I'm leaning towards either the 27" or 30" Dell but are there decent alternatives to Dell's offerings as I'm open to suggestions :)

Cheers
Dino

Last edited:
I haven't seen any 2048x1152 monitors available for years. Wish they were still available. Only four models that I'm aware of - your dell, two acers (23" & 27") and a Samsung. None are currently being manufactured.

That's what I thought :( Well the working one can be retired to server duty and now I just need to decide against the U2711 or U3011 :)

Don't get a U2711 or 3011, unless you like excessively grainy/sparkly displays, poor black levels and it sounds like you definitely don't need a wide gamut display. This image shows the effect of display coatings on the pixels, notice how blurry the U2711/ZR2740W look compared the the 27Q LED-P, which is glossy like your SP2309. All 30" IPS use the same coating as the U2711.

http://www.overclockers.ru/images/lab/2012/08/06/1/29_kristaleffect_big.jpg

The PB278Q & U2713 use semi-glossy coating like the S27A850D, which is a much lighter matte coating which in practice looks almost completely grain/sparkle free.

Look at the Asus PB278Q & Dell U2713, they both use a much lighter matte coating that is not grainy and they are sRGB displays with much better black levels than the U2711/3011. TFT Central has reviews of both.

Last edited:
Cheers NCX. Will get reading on those monitors and get some prices from UK based suppliers. Already with just a quick google search the Asus is in the lead on cost however its everything, hence the reviews.

Many thanks for your suggestions :)

Back