Upgrading from ATI to nvidia -- drivers?

eli2k

Weaksauce
I'm getting a GPU upgrade soon. What's the appropriate way to upgrade video cards from one vendor to another? Switch cards, install new driver, and then uninstall the older ones? Thanks.

Uninstall old one, shutdown computer, install new card, turn on, and install new driver.

Yep, make sure you clear out the old drivers completely. When I went from my 7950 to 780 I had missive issues with driver conflicts when just uninstalling through windows. You'll want to use DDU or Driver Fusion (sketchy?) to clear out all remains of the old driver.

I'm getting a GPU upgrade soon. What's the appropriate way to upgrade video cards from one vendor to another? Switch cards, install new driver, and then uninstall the older ones? Thanks.

I went the other way with a 750 TI ===> 2x 290s, but im sure you can adapt these steps going the other way around.

These are the steps I took:

1. In Device Manager removed the 750 TI in Display Adapters.
2. Opened Add/Remove Programs and manually uninstalled anything with Nvidia on it.
3. Downloaded Driver Cleaner.
4. Booted into Safe mode, and ran Driver cleaner against everything that was Nvidia.
5. Powered off the computer, installed cards, powered back into normal windows, installed drivers.

Last edited:
DDU is where it's at. Download it, run it and let it reboot to Safe Mode so that it can wipe out everything and then shutdown and install your new card.

I've been having graphical problems, went from ATI to Intel, 6930 died and I never replaced it. After reading this thread i ran DDU and it cleaned everything out. Seems to have fix my problem with videos sometimes going black and photos going black sometime on websites.

I ran it twice, once for AMD and once for Intel, lets windows update take care of the Intel drives and problem solved.

Back