Upgrading from a Logitech z-5500. Suggestions?

echn111

[H]ard|Gawd
Looking to upgrade from a Logitech z-5500 and on-board sound as I find it a bit "boomy" and better suited for loud sounds. So looking for a decent 5.1 setup. Have looked around the forums but not sure if what I've seen meets my requirements.

I normally keep the volume reasonably low, so don't need anything very powerful, but would like to hear the sound clearly. Basically looking for clear, good quality sound at low to medium volume.

This isn't for a proper home theater system, just for general PC usage such as the occational game (with 3D sound), music, the occational Blu Ray movie, as well as Windows sound effects. So trying to keep a reasonable budget - don't want to spend more than $800 (although some flexibility "if" justified).

I was thinking bookshelf type speakers and a subwoofer. Do I even need an amplifier? If so, I'd prefer a small compact one, preferably one that goes to standby by itself and doesn't consume lots of electicity. UK based, so some US only kit will not be available to me. Any suggestions?

Back