Upgrading from a laptop with a GT 540m to a 740m worth it?

guitarguy6

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I'm not to familiar with gaming on lower end gpu's and was wondering if a GT 740m is a step up from a 540m. My wife only plays WOW casually and currently has an Acer with a 2nd gen i5 and a 540m. I can get a refurb Asus S551LB with a 4th gen i5 and a 740m for $400. Think it's worth it?

Check out Notebook Check whenever you want to see where a mobile GPU falls in a lineup. They're pretty much the go-to place for mGPU comparisons/benchmarks.

Oh and to better answer your question, here are the relevant results for the 740m. In short, the 740m is just a rebranded Kepler, and even worse, there are two variants of it (GK107 & GK208). The better version compares to a GT 650m, the other one can sometimes be slower than the GT 640m.

lol I figured the higher number was better since I failed to do any research. I ran 3dmark on both laptops and the older one scored 1084 and the new one was 1867. It also has way better battery life and I actually use the touch screen quite a bit so all in all it was a worthy upgrade.

Nvidia's naming sequence can sometimes throw people off but I'm glad it worked in the end for you. More than a 50% increase in performance. That should keep her happy for a while.

Back