Upgrading from 3700X - 5700X or 5800X?

So I figured once the Ryzen 7000 series CPUs drop the 5000 will hopefully go on sale and that would provide a decent upgrade from the 3700X my friend uses for both gaming and video editing. Was considering the 5700X for this.

Well, I am already seeing prices go down and getting e-mail adverts for it... but on the 5800X. In fact, the 5800X is now cheaper at Amazon and almost the same price at Micro Center than the 5700X.

Issue is, the 5800X really does not seem worth it at all to consider over a 5700X, even at the same price-points. As GamersNexus put it: "the 5700X is what the 5800X should have been". And it certainly feels that way, they both seem to have the same specs, core count, threads, cache... the only difference being that the 5800X has slightly higher base and boost clocks.... but a massively 40% higher TDP over the 5700X.

In some benchmarks the 5800X also seemed to slightly under-perform... somehow, although in others it out-performed the 5700X.

Is there any benefit to the 5800X over the 5700X for either gaming or video editing/encoding? Everyone seems to be glossing over the 5700X to try to put the 5800X on sale instead. Or am I jumping the gun and there is a good chance prices will be discounted further if we wait more? I just worry if we wait too long they will just clear the shelves of the 5000 to make room for the 7000s and then they will be hard and more expensive to get.

5700x for the budget option or go bigger and get the 5900x. Since you mentioned video editing and other work type usage I’d go for the 5900x to get more cores/threads. The 3700x is already 8/16 so another 8/16 cpu feels like more of a side grade IMO.

The 5900X is too much. My problem is that the 5800X is the same price or less than the 5700X at the moment. I was hoping the 5700X would go down in price, not stay the same but the 5800X go down in price to match it.

Ok. So if you have the cooling then the 5800x is $245.99 on Amazon right now which is a strong deal. Assuming you are shopping in the US.

Ok. So if you have the cooling then the 5800x is $245.99 on Amazon right now which is a strong deal. Assuming you are shopping in the US.

Why? he already has eight cores, and zen 3 is barely a 15% bump!

The 5900x at Microcenter is only $100 more expensive than that 5800, and will actually give you tangible multi-threaded gains

https://www.microcenter.com/product...ore-am4-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included

Also, thanks to these new 16-thread consoles, several games are already starting to push the thread counts even higher:

Total War Saga: Troy

k34dpknbeoh51.png

xxJ2hsYaDZZbTTAeNpR33o-970-80.png

Last edited:
Why? he already has eight cores, and zen 3 is barely a 15% bump!

The 5900x at Microcenter is only $100 more expensive than that 5800, and will actually give you tangible multi-threaded gains

https://www.microcenter.com/product...ore-am4-boxed-processor-heatsink-not-included
I totally agree and suggested springing for the 5900x. OP replied that it was too much. I assumed that meant more than they wanted to spend. I’d save up for the 5900x to make it an actual upgrade and worth it personally.

5800x3d would be the best upgrade from a gaming perspective though I doubt people who bought those will be selling them soon. I'd look out for a 5700x. It runs cooler and gaming is nearly identical.

I totally agree and suggested springing for the 5900x. OP replied that it was too much. I assumed that meant more than they wanted to spend. I’d save up for the 5900x to make it an actual upgrade and worth it personally.

Just not in the cards, we will already be selling the 3700X when we get whatever we upgrade to to help with the costs of it.

5800x3d would be the best upgrade from a gaming perspective though I doubt people who bought those will be selling them soon. I'd look out for a 5700x. It runs cooler and gaming is nearly identical.

5800X3D is also just way too much

My issue was that right now the 5800X is at cheapest the same as the 5700X. (Well, at Micro Center the 5700X is about $4 cheaper) so in the case where they both cost the same, which would be the better choice, since it feels like the 5800X barely performs any better, and in some cases worse, but at a much higher TDP.

Just not in the cards, we will already be selling the 3700X when we get whatever we upgrade to to help with the costs of it.

5800X3D is also just way too much

My issue was that right now the 5800X is at cheapest the same as the 5700X. (Well, at Micro Center the 5700X is about $4 cheaper) so in the case where they both cost the same, which would be the better choice, since it feels like the 5800X barely performs any better, and in some cases worse, but at a much higher TDP.
In that case wait until the chips hit the used market. ?

As others have said.. there's no point in upgrading unless you get more cores. One generation isn't that much improvement, it's not worth all the time, effort, and cash. You probably wouldn't notice any difference in most applications and work loads.

As others have said, if your purpose for upgrading is better productivity, then going to a 5700X really isn't worth the money/time.

Wait for used deals on the 5900X. People will be unloading them like crazy once the 7000 series drops.

Agree 5800X 3D or Used 5900x or 5950x when people start dumping there chips. And the 5800X 3D only makes sense if you want that best gaming CPU out for AM4. If not 5900x or bust if your workloads need it.

How much video editing and how much gaming? If it's just touching up some YouTube videos but gaming a lot on competitive FPS or graphically demanding games that can benefit from higher framerates a 5700X will be a nice 20% upgrade over his 3700X and the 5800 wouldn't really be worth it IMO.

If it's Roblox and Minecraft and completely editing and rendering hour long video presentations then I'd opt for moar cores.

It's mostly interviews and covering conventions/events. The videos are not Streaming/Let'sPlay/Gameplay footage related but real-life footage.
That being said, they are not professional news channel level with expensive thousand dollar cameras and 8K source video either, just consumer video cameras.

He does play competitive FPS games like Overwatch and Valorant, but for fun and not by any means on a professional level.

For what he says he used it for a x3d is massively OP as is a 5900x.

I essentially had this upgrade path this past year when I bent the pins on my 3700x during a motherboard transfer. Overclocking notwithstanding, the 5800x is a noticeable upgrade at stock speeds.

However. The 5900x is now at the same price that the 5800x was when I panic bought it last spring. You can reuse the cooler from the 3700x for both CPU's if you need to stretch your dollars.
Personally I'd rather increase the core count if I go over $300, so the 5800x3d will never be on my radar. With the 5800x being less than $300 retail it makes the 5700x a non starter as well.

You can reuse the cooler from the 3700x for both CPU's if you need to stretch your dollars.
It's already got a NH-D15S on it due to the stock 3700X cooler failing about a year ago, that should be good enough for even a 5900X or 5950X I think. So cooling situation is fine.

With the 5800x being less than $300 retail it makes the 5700x a non starter as well.

Doesn't both the 5700X and 5800X have the same core and thread count, just that the 5800X has a slightly higher base and boost clock but also a significantly higher TDP?

Doesn't both the 5700X and 5800X have the same core and thread count, just that the 5800X has a slightly higher base and boost clock but also a significantly higher TDP?

All three... four if you count the 5800x3d are 8 core 16 threaded CPU's so the way I see this scenario. On order for it to be a perceptible upgrade at reasonable prices there's only two choices. The 5800x and the 5900x.

If 5700x was on the market when I had to replace my 3700x I would have bought it because I don't like to buy used parts if I can help it. But It wouldn't have been an upgrade from the previous one. Merely a replacement.

I am in the same boat with my 3700x rig, for me it's gaming and the 5700x will be easyer to cool being a 65 watt part and fits small builds better!

Also it helps to know temps your dealing with, this 5600x setting under the Peerless Assassin 120 SE tells me that the 5700x would run very cool.

I'm in the same boat, wanting to upgrade my Ryzen 5 3600 to a 5XXX CPU.
Prices aren't looking too bad, but holding out to see how the 7000 series affects the second hand market.

I'm sure OP has something by now, but just buy something used. There's zero reason to buy any AM4 CPU new now. I went through this a long time ago with the 5600x and 5800x. Trying to find a 5600x they were sold out everywhere and I ended up getting a used 5800x for less than a new 5600x. Between the two CPU, 5700x vs 5800x just get what is cheaper or save for a 5900x.

Somewhat on topic, but most motherboards also are able to run the 5800x in 65w mode. Oddly, it's hidden in most overclocking menus in the bios. That's how we run ours in the living room for watching TV and VR gaming. There's zero noticeable performance difference based on what we're doing with it, but it does run 9*C cooler with the same EVGA 280 CLC, and consumes less power.

If a 5800x is cheaper, just buy that and run it in "Eco" mode...you'll have a 5700x then ;).

Either way, if you have a D15, the extra TDP of the 5800x shouldn't be an issue.

I would hold out for a used 5900x though like the others have said.

I'm sure OP has something by now, but just buy something used.

Yeah, if we can't find a good 5000 series on clearance sale from a retailer trying to get rid of them for 7000 shelf space we can just get one used cheaper. Though with how 13th gen so far seems to be set to cream the 7000 series I worry the 7000 won't be a big seller to warrant that by much.

Annoyingly, it seems to be a 3-way tie now between the 5800X, 5800X3D, and 5900X. Since he will use his pc for BOTH gaming and video editing, going to have to see which one matters more. The 5800X3D seems to actually score lower than the 5800X in most productivity tasks, like video editing, although it of course scores higher in gaming., and needless to say the 5900X outperforms both of those for productivity. Going to have to see which one matters to him more.

Are you dead set on buying a new CPU? There was a guy that had a 5800x for $200 shipped in FS/FT.

No, and it's not something soon either, just something we are looking into as a possibility if we can add it to the budget.

Back