Upgrading: Evga 570 SLI to 770 SLI - Need recommendation and advice please

Modboxx

Gawd
Hello Everyone,

All Input is welcomed and appreciated.

I want to upgrade my EVGA 570's SLI cards to the 770GTX SLI
First my specs:
Dell 3011 2560x1600 for mouse and keyboard FPS goodness
Panasonic VT60 1080p For Xbox 360 controller, relaxed couch gaming.
I7 [email protected] water cooled
Evga 770 ftw3
3x8gb crucial @ 1600 8-8-8 2t
SB fatality edition
1200 watt Thermaltake power supply

My first question is which 770 should i consider? I really dig the new Asus direct 2 cooling system but i also like the EVGA ACX cooling too? Which 770 GTX is considered the must get card? Also what about Gigabyte and MSI? how's their offerings?

My second question is In regards to ram. I'm not worried about 2gb max per a card for @1080p gaming on the vt60 but i am worried about the ram for my Dell 3011. I've seen the 4gb 770 GTX's but i'm not really to inclined to spend an extra $100 each.

Last question: is it worth upgrading my 570's or better of waiting for say 870gtx which could be a year away. Trust me i know the rule of thumb if you wait you can wait around for ever because there will always be something around the corner but what do you guys think in this situations?

My future games will include:
Watchdogs
Dead Pool
State of Decay
Company of hero's 2
Battlefield 4
The Division
Titan Fall
Call of duty Ghost
Saints Row 4
Possibly GTA5 (though i might just get that for the PS4)
Thief
Arkham Origins

Last edited:
For SLI I'd try to go with the blower style coolers (like the stock cooler) as the top card won't be affected as much by the heat of the bottom card. However depending on you case's airflow it may not be a big deal.

I'd personally try to get more than 2GB of vram for an SLI setup at that resolution. Perhaps you can find GTX 680 4GB's on sale.

Not a blower style cooler, but a great price and only 50mhz less than a GTX 770.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121705R

I would definately stick to 4GB cards for your resolution.
Like Johnle said above, stick to reference designed cards or one that blows the heat directly out of the case. The 680 is very close in design to a GTX 770, but the GTX 770 has higher clocks.

if you're going from 570 SLi to the 7xx series I would try going with a Single 780 first. If you can find a single card with enough memory for your resolution you'll get more consistent performance.

I have a Dell U3011 as well, but with SLI Titans. IMO do not get a 2GB card for this resolution. 3GB at the minimum IMO.

Back