Upgrading display cables, have a question on DVI standards

Harb

Limp Gawd
I use a Westinghouse LVM-37w3 37" 1080p screen as my main monitor and a 19" Viewsonic as my secondary monitor.

I've been using a DVI-D single link cable for the 37", and a VGA cable with the 19". For the longest time, I have noticed that the 37" has way better color definition than the 19". After getting curious about cable differences and swapping them out, I realize that it was the VGA all along that was killing my 19" color quality. For example; when I have iTunes split between both monitors, the blue/white alternating lines in the library window are clearly visible on my 37" but it's almost impossible to tell them apart on the 19".

So my question is this; what type of DVI cable should I replace it with? I know that the DVI-D works well, should I just stick with that? If I go with a DVI-I single or dual link cable instead, will there be a noticeable difference? I could just get DVI-I dual links for both monitors, if there would be an appreciable upgrade in picture/color quality. After seeing the huge difference between DVI and VGA, I can't help but feel like there may be more I'm missing by only using an old DVI-D single link cable.

Thanks!

Back