Upgrading Dell Optiplex 7070SFF Power Supply

Stevan

n00b
Hello,

I am thinking to upgrade Dell Optiplex 7070SFF PSU, to 240W or 260W so that I could run GTX 1650 LP. I have seen that it is possible to put 240W J61WF PSU, however, I am unable to find the genuine new one. I have found that the following have 6+4 pin connectors: 3YNRJ and TP18W both 260W.

Does anyone know if these will fit physically in 7070 SFF and work, as in not fry anything? (it is hard to find PSU dimensions, but both of these seem to be 3060 5060 7060 MT PSU).

Thanks

Last edited:
I have seen that it is possible to put 240W J61WF PSU, however, I am unable to find the genuine new one.

You won't find a new one because these are proprietary OEM only power supplies made specifically for Dell. The only long shot you'd have at getting a new one is calling up Dell and asking them if they'll sell you the power supply by itself, which is very unlikely. Otherwise, your only choice is to buy a used pull from another machine.

Does anyone know if these will fit physically in 7070 SFF and work, as in not fry anything? (it is hard to find PSU dimensions, but both of these seem to be 3060 5060 7060 MT PSU).

Most people here don't dabble in hotrodding proprietary OEM machines like that. The only advice I can give you is to try buying one of the more powerful PSU units and doing a pinout comparison between the original 200W unit and the higher power replacement you buy. If the pinout matches between the two units, it should work, but there's always the possibility of things going thermonuclear and blowing up. But that's the risk when doing unsupported hardware swaps on OEM gear.

I have hotrodded older Dell SFF machines in the Pentium 4/ Core 2 era, and from that experience, I can say that sometimes stuff works and sometimes it doesn't. Even when it looks like it should work, it may not.

Thanks for the reply. I am still hesitant to try it as the desktop is still under the warranty, but I do not want to buy rx 550 4gb which is the best option with this PSU. :)

Thanks for the reply. I am still hesitant to try it as the desktop is still under the warranty, but I do not want to buy rx 550 4gb which is the best option with this PSU. :)

I'd be wary of even using a RX 550 on that anemic power supply. I don't know which CPU you have installed, but the CPU and a RX 550 together could theoretically overload the PSU under peak loads, and that's not counting the motherboard, RAM and drive(s). Dell did the same shit with the Optiplex GX2x0SFF models, the CPU and GPU drew so much power under load that the PSU would shut down on overload, or thermals (whichever happened first.)

I found a video on YT of a guy doing a swap from a 200 to a 240, which gives it more credibility of working. I'd go with the 260W instead of 240W to give a tiny bit of extra headroom.

If I take rx 550 4gb, I would take Dell one. IT uses max 50w and the CPU uses 65w. I have 32gb of RAM, one NvME and one HDD 1TB 7200rpm so it should work.

This is the one I saw as well. :) He uses J61WF PSU which is not available where I found a 260w power supply (the one I mentioned above) with same pin configuration. All three look the same. I can't measure them physically though. This place sells genuine Dell PSU, which are used as replacement parts, they are an authorised reseller.

Video for 7060 review. It can be seen on 6 minute mark or so:

Last edited:
I've learned over the years that Intel's TDP numbers are never to be trusted. A safe estimate is to double their rated TDP, because in some loads the CPU can indeed pull that much and sometimes more.

An example is the i5-750 with a "95W" TDP. It can pull up to 190W peak and 160W sustained. An i7-9900k is another "95W" TDP rated part, but can pull ~170W under high load. The non-K versions of 9000 series core parts are rated for 65W, but definitely in no way adhere to that. The CPU alone can come close to maxing out a 200W power supply. You don't want to be running a power supply balls to the wall all the time.

TDP ratings are arbitrary and should never be taken at face value, especially on Intel CPUs, but other vendors are guilty of the same thing to some degree.

Back