Upgrading Dell CPU?

mrmylanman

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

At work I have a Dimension E521 computer. It's one of the better computers we have at the company, however it is still a dog on some of the tasks I do with it (optical character recognition, dealing with large spreadsheets, and running digital enhancement on photos, etc.). None of these tasks are GPU-accelerated on the software we use, so a video card wouldn't help.

The memory got upgraded to 3GB from our IT folk, up from 1GB.

The CPU in this computer is an Athlon 64 X2 3800+, which runs at 2GHz.

The motherboard is an AM2 socket, and I remember reading some that AM2+ fits in AM2, however I wanted to verify this. I want to upgrade my CPU on this computer because I know I won't be getting a new one for quite some time (there are still a few Pentium IIIs floating around here), and make my work more efficient.

Are there any available I could use? If it was my home desktop, and custom-built I would probably already have all the information I need, however I wasn't sure if Dell placed any restrictions on it, and plain AM2 processors seem hard to find these days.

Thanks a million

That's an old computer with limited upgrade options. The chipset and BIOS must support the CPU too, so it's not just as simple as plugging in anything that fits.

The X2 5600+ is the fastest CPU compatible with that model. It's this particular CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103771 You just need to find that Windsor (not Brisbane!) model in stock somewhere.

Gotcha, thank you for the info. It's maybe unlikely that it'll happen then I guess.

I just searched EBAY (windsor 5600 Athlon) and found two. One of them is at $30 bucks so far and 100% seller feedback FYI.

Oh cool, I didn't think to check eBay, I just searched Google Shopping and a few others, it was around $80+. I might jump on that, some of these things are ridiculously slow (granted I have a lot of background processes going as well).

Thanks for the tip.

AM2 Windsor cores went as high as 6400+ which was 3.2Ghz.
Yes, but the heatsink and motherboard were only made for up to 89W CPUs. The Windsor X2 6400+ is a 125W model. Plus I wasn't sure which case form factor the OP has. That model came in mini tower and slim cases. 125W CPU in the slim case = no. Dell shipped those with even more restricted CPU options.

Some people have reported that the 6400+ will boot, but I wouldn't trust it long term. Wanna chance a fried board? http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Athlon-64-X...936?pt=CPUs&hash=item43a476e828#ht_500wt_1156 :p

I did see this morning that some people are reporting that Brisbane CPUs are working. For example: http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=26708363 (2nd post reports the X2 6000+ 3.1GHz works, which is a Brisbane model) The official Dell forum has a few mostly successful attempts (and 1 failure) with Brisbane CPUs. Stick to the reported successful stepping and it should be OK.

Officially the highest CPU supported is the Windsor 5600+, but there's no reason the Windsor 89W 6000+ wouldn't work (it comes in 2 flavors: 89W and 125W).

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wow, sorry I did not see these updates for so long.

I have been really busy at work! Thanks for the tips, Brisbane cores would be nice. I just really want to upgrade the CPU as my duties are transitioning more and more into scanning and editing very large photos (around 20 MP or so), and a new PC is out of the question, so I was looking for options. I might look into the reported working Brisbane CPUs, thanks for the suggestion!

I also have the regular tower, not the slim one. I didn't realize Dell names multiple computers the same thing, lol.

Back