Upgrading an E4300 and 8800GTS 640...

JStudrawa

Limp Gawd
Got my hands on a copy of Win7 64-bit, and was thinking of upgrading before I tried it out. Specs in sig.

Was thinking of getting an i3 and overclocking it's ass off, but doubtful the 8800GTS 640 can keep up with the newer games.

Should I just install Win7 on the machine in my sig or starting piecing an i-core system together?

Thanks all.

I wouldnt waste money on a 4800 series, just keep saving up for a 5850, the jump will be amazing with a i3 or i5. I would buy a used i5 750 of the forums, or maybe snatch up a frys combo if you have one near you.

What PSU do you have?
What's your max budget for this upgrade?

Sorry, forgot that critical info...

Budget = $250. Nothing worth mentioning really, as it would net me a mobo/CPU without a video card. Or vice versa should I stretch it and get lucky.

PSU = I want to say it's 600W, Rosewill or similiar with more than enough juice to power what I have overclocked. I can get more specific if I take it out.

The 8800gts will put you off for a little while, just buy new mobo and cpu then vid card later.

for 250 about all you can bet would be a quad core cpu. maybe you can find one used for cheap? i would hold off just a bit longer on the gpu. it isnt that bad.

PSU = I want to say it's 600W, Rosewill or similiar with more than enough juice to power what I have overclocked. I can get more specific if I take it out.

Figure out exactly which PSU you have. There are some spectacular shitty Rosewill PSUs out there and some good.

I'd order the mobo/cpu first, then see if the 8800GTS chugs along well enough for your needs. Too many PC games nowadays are console ports which even a G80 gpu can handle easily.

Also, I'll need new DDR3 RAM as well? Unless there is an i-core mobo using DDR2, but that negates the benefits of the new RAM and seems half-assed to do.

I'm not having problems playing Dragon Age: Origins or similar, so I'll keep saving the poker money and work on the wife's good side a bit more.

Thanks all.

Back