upgrading a laptop?

mecca

Limp Gawd
i have this Compaq Presario 800 laptop sitting around collecting dust. it's probably one of the thinnest laptops you'll ever see (though I'm sure theres some newfangled laptops out there even thinner..heh)..

anyway, it's about 800mhz with only some 64mb ram i think (perhaps 128). i don't use it because, well, it's too slow.

how would i go about upgrading the damn thing? is it even possible to do? is there some manufacturer from which i can purchase processors that would fit in this thing? if so, how hard would it be to do?

Originally posted by mecca
i have this Compaq Presario 800 laptop sitting around collecting dust. it's probably one of the thinnest laptops you'll ever see (though I'm sure theres some newfangled laptops out there even thinner..heh)..

anyway, it's about 800mhz with only some 64mb ram i think (perhaps 128). i don't use it because, well, it's too slow.

how would i go about upgrading the damn thing? is it even possible to do? is there some manufacturer from which i can purchase processors that would fit in this thing? if so, how hard would it be to do?

Try in the mobile computing forum, you will get alot more responses.

It's highly unlikely that you'll be able to upgrade it, except for maybe the RAM and of course the HDD. Contact Compaq, they'll have the info you need.

I'm not sure how 800Mhz is too slow, my laptop (333 w/ 192MB ram, winXP) works just fine for school stuff. Yeah, it's not a hardcore gaming machine by a long shot, but i've got my desktop for that.

laptop parts are damn expensive

I have a 2.4B with 512 ddr and its smokin and it was cheep

slap a stick of 512mb stick of pc100 or whatever it takes in it and put a 5400rpm hard drive in it. You will be suprised how quick it is.

Definately go with the ram upgrade. You'll probably notice the most change in that. Maybe hard drive, but I wouldn't say that it is completely necessary unless you need more space.

I say put it on ebay for ~400bucks and put that towards the purchase of a new laptop?

I appologize for hijacking this thread, but my post would probably have the same title and I'd rather not congest the board...

Anyway, I have a Sony VAIO laptop (about 4 years old)...Pentium 3, 450MHz, 100MHz FSB, with 64MB SDRAM

I can upgrade to 256MB ram for about $100...

How far can I upgrade this processor? Probably only to the 500MHz, right? Then I think they changed the voltage requirements...i'm not sure...does anybody know?

CPUID says:

Processor: Intel Mobile Pentium III
Brand: 2
Platform: Mobile Module
CPU type: Original OEM Processor 0
Family: 6
Model: 8
Stepping ID: 1

Basically, my friend screwed something up and the modem and sound card need drivers...

Well, sony doesn't offer the drivers anymore, and they won't sell the recovery disks (that have the drivers) because microsoft doesn't authorize them to sell the recovery disks because MS doesn't support windows 98 anymore...

Back