upgrading a Geforce 4600 to a Geforce 5900nu?

laban

[H]ard|Gawd
When my new Geforce FX 5900 gets here this week, I will be doing the upgrade.

I know that I should probably reinstall windows from scratch when I put in the new card, but I'm felling really lazy lately. Is there a good way to make the swap without reinstalling everything, that won't cause any performance problems?

Laban

well, what i usually do, is just uninstall the vid card first thru control panel/system/device manager...
then turn off the computer, put in new card and install new drivers...
i have done it this way a few times, and never had any problems...

Originally posted by laban
When my new Geforce FX 5900 gets here this week, I will be doing the upgrade.

I know that I should probably reinstall windows from scratch when I put in the new card, but I'm felling really lazy lately. Is there a good way to make the swap without reinstalling everything, that won't cause any performance problems?

Laban

Just take out the old card, and put in the new one. It will work perfectly, trust me :) I've swapped nVidia cards all the time with out uninstalling drivers, and my system has always detected the new card without a problem. That's the benefit of nVidia's unified driver scheme.

I just upgraded from a 4400 to a 5900nu, and had no problems. When I went into the display properties, and it had my 5900nu options listed fine, plus all the expected new options. I rebooted and flash it to a 5950u, and once again it didnt complain at all about the new card.

Back