Upgrading a 10 year old gaming PC...

dmagro

Limp Gawd
Firstly, I know this is a bit unusual. But I do game regularly and yes, my PC is 10 years old now. The only exceptions are the video card which is much more recent as well as a SSD. My monitor is also relatively new and is QHD (which is probably a bit much for my system at 2560x1440). But this is what surprises me, and I'm actually wondering if rather than upgrade my 10 year old CPU/Motherboard/RAM, I might be better off just upgrading to a video card with more VRAM?

Needless to say, I never find any benchmarks for the games I currently play for my PC specs. So I'm not really sure what to upgrade first. Generally I know my CPU/MB/RAM are ridiculously old, and to be honest I'm very surprised at how they still can run the games I play. I tend to lower quite a few settings, but never resolution, which I keep at 2560x1440. My assumption is that for World of Warships, video card is a better upgrade (as 2GB is too little for QHD), but that for Total War: Warhammer, the CPU/MB/RAM need to go. These are the two games I'm most concerned about currently. I spend most of my time in World of Warhips, and it does run acceptably well, even if video settings are quite low. It also does have brief close combat moments where I think I lose out a bit because my PC is slightly less responsive than it should be in close combat, although I'm not sure if it's because it renders more graphic details at close range or the CPU has extra demands. But I don't think it's that major. However, I have never played it on any other PC, so maybe it's worse than I think. I also wonder if I could get away with just getting a fairly similar GPU but with 4GB VRAM instead of 2.

My main components are:
Q6600 @ 3.0 Ghz (oc'd)
ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard
8 GB DDR2 800 RAM
MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2G LE
256 GB Crucial MX100 SSD
Dell Home P2416D 24 WQHD LED LCD Monitor 2560 x 1440 8ms 16:9 DP HDMI VGA

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Gaming. I primarily play World of Warships, and sometimes War Thunder. I probably would play other games such as Total War: Warhammer if it wasn't so slow (i.e. when I increase the game speed, it barely goes any faster as I think my PC is already running as fast as it can to play it at normal speed. Also the PC turns take a while in the strategy part...)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Rather than say a specific number, since it will vary a lot depending on what I have to upgrade, I do look for high value for performance, most often what enthusiasts would probably only call mid-range.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

United Kingdom

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

Either CPU/MB/RAM, or just the Video card. Or perhaps all of the mentioned: CPU/MB/RAM/GPU.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

Depends on what needs to be upgraded, but in general since I have to limit my spending I plan to reuse everything not mentioned in the above section. PSU: Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 650W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply with Three 12V Rails. Adequate at the time but that was literally a decade ago (yikes!). It has no problems running the GTX 960.

6) Will you be overclocking?

Generally I like to do some basic overclocking as it stretches my performance vs budget ratio a bit.

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

2560x1440, 24 inches.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

Within the next decade, hehe!

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.

Nothing fancy, just good good value for performance.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

64bit Windows 10.

Edit: added PSU

Last edited:
You need a new CPU, MB, RAM and power supply. That Video card is midrange but slightly anemic for 1440.

If you are a cheapskate then I would go with a Ryzen 1600 or an Intel i5 7600k depending if you prefer 1 camp over the other.

I'm not at home so can't check my PC Case right now, but I found an old post of mine in 2008 where I asked if my PSU (Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 650W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply with Three 12V Rails) would be adequate for a EVGA 896-P3-1264-AR GeForce GTX 260 SSC Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail.

Given that there was some doubt by a few posters at the time, I'm wondering if I need to upgrade that too very soon.

Edit: Annoyingly I couldn't log into Newegg to check my order history as I bought it while I was living in the US... I bet they deleted my account for 1 decade of inactivity... dirty bastards! :)

You need a new CPU, MB, RAM and power supply. That Video card is midrange but slightly anemic for 1440.

If you are a cheapskate then I would go with a Ryzen 1600 or an Intel i5 7600k depending if you prefer 1 camp over the other.

I have often looked at the i5-7600k (i5-6600k prior to it, and may other CPUs before, but never pulled the trigger because I keep telling myself that my trusty old Q6600 still can handle it!). But I'm slowly starting to realise just how absurd it is to be a gamer with a 10 year old PC. I'll probably perform much better on a smoother running PC. Just have to fight the wife about the funding of this endeavour! :)

I was slightly afraid of having to upgrade CPU/MB/RAM, as almost inevitably that'll be quite pricey, and my PC case is in pretty bad shape (I used a hacksaw to make space for a previous GPU a few years ago), and now based on your suggestion to upgrade PSU and my finding that even back then it wasn't necessarily a powerful one. And yes, definitely a cheapskate as I must wage war just to get my wife to let me spend some of the money I earn on upgrading it!

Edit: PS: I've used both AMD and Intel CPUs in the past. My allegiance is to whichever has the better value/performance within my budget at the time!

I'm not at home so can't check my PC Case right now, but I found an old post of mine in 2008 where I asked if my PSU (Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 650W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply with Three 12V Rails) would be adequate for a EVGA 896-P3-1264-AR GeForce GTX 260 SSC Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail.

Given that there was some doubt by a few posters at the time, I'm wondering if I need to upgrade that too very soon.

Edit: Annoyingly I couldn't log into Newegg to check my order history as I bought it while I was living in the US... I bet they deleted my account for 1 decade of inactivity... dirty bastards! :)

The PSU is proably at least 10 years old in that case, and it should also be replaced. They degrade over time, and a bad or unstable PSU will ruin your day.

If you want to hang on to things for another 10 years, I'd recommend you go top-of-the-line. Get a 7700k, a 1080Ti, 32GB of fast DDR4, a big M.2 SSD, and a new high-grade PSU. The case is more aesthetic, but there's something to be said for a case with some decent airflow. If you're planning on keeping it for a long time, it's worth it to buy the best when you do upgrade. Yeah, the cost will be high, but if you got the rest of that stuff when it was new, then you probably spent quite a bit then too.

The PSU is proably at least 10 years old in that case, and it should also be replaced. They degrade over time, and a bad or unstable PSU will ruin your day.

If you want to hang on to things for another 10 years, I'd recommend you go top-of-the-line. Get a 7700k, a 1080Ti, 32GB of fast DDR4, a big M.2 SSD, and a new high-grade PSU. The case is more aesthetic, but there's something to be said for a case with some decent airflow. If you're planning on keeping it for a long time, it's worth it to buy the best when you do upgrade. Yeah, the cost will be high, but if you got the rest of that stuff when it was new, then you probably spent quite a bit then too.

I was single back then! ;)

Suffice it to say that I will not be spending anywhere near what I would want to, and certainly won't be seeing any of the items you suggested. :/

I could try to argue with my wife that I wouldn't need to upgrade it for another 10 years, but that's not going to work unfortunately. I'll have to stick to what I mentioned above and go for roughly mid-level stuff.

Last edited:
I like the approach of just cutting through the edge of things... kid down the road came to me with 560 dollars. I bought him a new RX 480, a new 500W PSU, and a used 4690K/MOBO/RAM/CASE/SSD/keyboard/mouse he games at 1440p ... zero issues. Haswell running at 4.4Ghz+ a 1060/580 will push 1440 just fine if you're not a benchmark queen. Used parts sales can be your best friends when you game on a budget because you don't have to buy the bottom of the barrel from the current tech.

I was single back then! ;)

Suffice it to say that I will not be spending anywhere near what I would want to, and certainly won't be seeing any of the items you suggested. :/

I could try to argue with my wife that I wouldn't need to upgrade it for another 10 years, but that's not going to work unfortunately. I'll have to stick to what I mentioned above and go for roughly mid-level stuff.

Well, you can't always win those arguments. You will be stuck with a chunk of cash though, since there's very little that you can re-use or migrate to the new system. You're going to be getting a MB, CPU, RAM and PSU at a minimum. A Ryzen will be the best bang for the buck right now. I'd go with one of the 4C/4T chips, 16GB of RAM and at least a 500W PSU. Get your upgrade on, then start saving for a new video card once the credit card cools down.

wait for computex next week and see whats new. Might also help bring down the current prices.

I can play 1440p on an i3.
It's not as good as a 2600k was but it does it. I reckon you could even just grab a cheap used GPU for now if you really wanted, OC CPU a bit and at least get a boost from that.

Instead of following the generic 'intel + nvidya' build advice (not to mention recommending another 10 year build just prior to new GPU/CPU launches), check out the AMD Ryzen cpus. They do just fine, have more bang/buck/cores and won't shoah all your sheckels. If you want something serious, AMD Threadripper and Intel Skylake X is coming soon.

See what happens at CTEX. You're a patient gamer so waiting another month or two won't hurt eh..

My own nearly-10-year-old Q6600 setup is still in active use as the family computer, but I retired it from mainline use in late 2013 because PlanetSide 2 gave me a nasty wake-up call regarding just how CPU-limited that system really was. Trust me, that thing was overdue for replacement back in the Haswell days, and you're only going to see a bigger jump whether you go Kaby Lake or Ryzen with a modern GPU.

It didn't help that I never quite figured out how to get 3.6 GHz perfectly stable. Even when it wasn't BSoDing or overheating under a full Linpack stress test, it still performed oddly worse than 3.0 or 3.2 GHz.

You could see a significant boost even if you keep the old GTX 960, particularly for CPU-intensive stuff like Total War, but these days, I wouldn't recommend anything less than a GTX 1060 or RX 480. Even then, AMD's primed to deliver RX Vega some time soon while NVIDIA might be fixing to retire Pascal early with Volta later this year. Depending on how content you are with the GTX 960's performance right now, you may want to keep it for a few more months 'til the new cards hit and hopefully drive down prices on the existing stuff.

With that said, it's surprising how viable a Q6600 3.0 GHz/8 GB DDR2-800/GTX 760 4 GB setup is for a lot of recent PC games. My little bro's been playing the heck out of Cities: Skylines and War Thunder lately, with what I consider to be acceptably smooth framerates. A 10-year-old computer by 1990s or 2000s standards would've been useless for anything but period-appropriate games due to the rapid rate of advancement back then!

Rather than say a specific number, since it will vary a lot depending on what I have to upgrade, I do look for high value for performance, most often what enthusiasts would probably only call mid-range.

If you want to talk "best value" upgrade, look no further than the Kaby Lake Pentium G4560. 4 threads, two cores, 3.5 GHz swaps places with the Ryzen 1400 or 1500x, depending on the game, and only slightly trails the i3 7100. And those are ALL already an impressive value!

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/Ryzen_5_1400/11.html

But you'll need to do some shopping around, as the CPU is in high demand. Normal price in the the US is around $70, but many places have it as high as $100!

Normal price in the US:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1304308-REG/intel_bx80677g4560_pentium_g4560_3_5_ghz.html

If you want to do more than just game Ryzen is worth the cash (8 threads turns it into an encoding powerhouse), but otherwise it's destroyed by that Pentium for less than half the price.

Q6600 benchmarked in a few games with new videocards:

http://www.techspot.com/article/1313-intel-q6600-ten-years-later/

And that is why I recommended the Kaby Lake Pentium G4560. IT IS EQUIVALENT to the i3 6100 used in that article, so you can see it's pretty powerful for a $70 chip.

IT WILL BE TWICE AS FAST, and has the same number of threads as your current chip. That means multi-tasking will remain smooth, along with smooth handling of games that use more threads.

See their article on it here:

http://www.techspot.com/review/1325-intel-pentium-g4560/page4.html

Summary: a processor that costs twice as much as the Pentium gets you 10-15% higher performance.

Last edited:
Back