Upgraded to Win 7 internet is now slow

Sagan

Gawd
Hi guys, I upgraded from Vista 64 bit to Win 7 64bit and one of the first things I've noticed was that youtube videos take forever to load, I use to stream on 720p videos in realtime but now even 360p can struggle to load, 480p videos you have to pause for 30 seconds. Oddly, speedtest indicate my full 15mbps down and 1mbps up, regular downloads go fast but streaming youtube, vimeo, or anykind of videos take a while.

My initial guess was that it has something to do with the Wi-fi PCI card. I have D-Link dwl G-550 and on windows compatibility center it says its not supported. Windows 7 automatically detected and installed its own drivers, it works ok but this problem bugs me.

What about your video card? Drivers?

Unfortunately, with YouTube, it's going to hard to say since it's so wishy-washy with it's buffering speeds on any ISP.

I just recently upgraded two months ago so hardware shouldn't be an issue?

i7 3770k
32Gb Ram
Corsair SSD
asrock z68 extreme 4 gen 3
HD 6870 with Catalyst drivers from june

I can go to an older computer next to the wifi router and youtube HD videos load no problem so I don't think its an issue. My wifi gets 4/5 bars and downloads quickly, but for some reason streaming videos is really slow.

sometimes when you receive no answer, its because you are asking the wrong question or did not provide enough details.

I would suggest you test your theory and plug that machine in with an Ethernet cable and see if the issue can be narrowed down to the wireless card.

Have you installed all of the windows updates?

Are any other programs updating themselves?

Have you installed Windows Security Essentials?

If it is not a software issue, I would say it's time to upgrade the network.

Another thought: Did you check the adapter properties? Are you using the proper encryption for a high speed connection?
What I remember about these 108 nics was that there was a driver problem that didn't run the nics properly. E.G. no 108 mbps. 54 mbps only, regardless of what it said it was connected at. I may be misremembering a few details but I had the same problem at one time.

Last edited:
I checked all the update today, got Windows Security Essentials and went to the adapter properties. Can you tell me more what to look for in the encryption part? I think the card is running at 54 mbps because that's what the router is telling me its connected as.

Some of those old cards would only run at the higher speed using wep encryption. And some would simply not run at the high speeds on windows 7 or vista for that matter. This is the part that I hate about moving up to new operating systems.

Was the old Vista install 32 or 64 bit?

Read first post, is it worth a shot to remove the wpa encryption to see if its behaves differently?

can't hurt. check the cache buffer setting for flash too. If those don't work then i don't know where else to go.

I brought the computer downstairs and plugged in an ethernet straight into the router and 1080p videos load instantly, all the network issues I previously had are gone.

This narrows it down to the d-link g550 wifi card having some sort of issues, it used to work great on vista 64 but for some reason it doesn't like win 7 and even 480p videos can load slow. What can I try now?

Try forcing dlink vista 64bit drivers from their website.

Its not letting me update the drivers, whenever I select the folder with the new drivers it says "windows has determined that the driver software for your device is up to date." If I uninstall it the device disappears from the list and as soon as it comes up again windows already put its own drivers.

UPDATE: I don't know what to do, I bought an Asus pci-e wifi card compatible with windows 7, I get 5 bars and videos take a while to load. I can't be the only one in this earth experiencing this right now anyone?

It is a combination of problems.

1. There are no Windows 7 drivers for your old wireless card.
2. The router is outdated.
3. There are no official Vista 64-bit drivers.
4. There hasn't been an updated driver for this card since 8/29/2007
5. Installing a new wi-fi card will not fix an outdated router problem.
6. You didn't delete the drivers when you clicked uninstall for the wi-fi card. Therefore Windows reloads the same driver when it rescans the system.

Realistically, get a new router. And not some cheap $40 Best Buy p.o.s.

Look in this thread:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1226866&page=49

cant really say the router is out dated if the system streamed fine with with vista64.... the router works fine....?

Yes that's why this issue makes no logical sense, before I upgraded my vista 64 computer with the dlink wificard and router had a perfect internet connection just as if it were plugged into ethernet 720p videos loaded without a hassle and 1080p most of the time with little buffer.
Now when I upgraded my hardware and went to Win 7 I used the same pci dlink card and windows automatically installed its drivers, the internet ran just fine but anything to do with streaming I noticed a huge hit in loading times, youtube videos only loaded well on 360p but for some odd reason speed test were 10Mbps down and downloads were at 900-1100KB/s.

So what I did was buy a new pcie wifi card compatible with windows 7, its an Asus PCE-N10 card. Results are the same, maybe slightly faster? but streaming fastly is no go, although I now get 5 full bars on the task bar when before I used to get 3 or 4.
So this rules out that it isn't the network card since I get very similar results with both.

tikiman2012 suggests it could be the router but I don't think it is because a router doesn't care what operating system you're using whether its a Mac or Windows, the router always worked well and my work laptop has no issues streaming videos.

here are my youtube speed test results, you can clearly see that with youtube I get 1.6mbps down that might explain things.

waZdZ.jpg

here's my speedtest results.

Back