Upgraded to RTX 2080S - Need Solution for 2nd HDMI 2.0 Monitor

vorpel

Limp Gawd
Hello. I just upgraded from my GTX 980 to a RTX 2080S. I have 2 Samsung 48" TVs hooked up to my GTX 980 - 1 through HDMI and the other is a HDMI to DVI cable that actually works (I get 3840x2160 60Hz at 4:4:4 on both). When I got this setup there weren't any DP to HDMI cables that could do 4k 60hz 4:4:4.

Has that changed? I remember looking at cables and it was a very hit and miss (heavy on the miss) thing to find the HDMI to DVI cable that would work and even straight HDMI cables with enough bandwidth to work. This was 3 years ago, so I'm hoping this has changed.

I see converters and lots of talk about getting 60hz, but from my previous experience it was next to impossible to find the cables that could do the 60hz at 4:4:4 for desktop use as so few people either knew about this or would put it in their reviews.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I do have a GTX 960 that I could put in to run the 2nd display, but due to the size of the cards it would be stacked right next to the 2080S and I was hoping to keep that area clear for airflow.

Thanks!

(edited for clarify and spelling)

No HDMI to DP cables at this stage that do full 4k 60hz @ 4:4:4. You see, there is not much of a market for them at this stage. GPUs are mostly designed to prioritize monitors over TVs. Most modern monitors have DP, thats why we find 3 x DP ports on the GPU and only one HDMI. There may be expensive active adapters that can do the full bandwidth, but no cables as of yet. Lots of DP to HDMI cables exist, just not the high bandwidth type you need. Surprised you can get full bandwidth out of HDMI to DVI cable. I believe specs say DVI cant do 4k 60hz 4:4:4.

No HDMI to DP cables at this stage that do full 4k 60hz @ 4:4:4. You see, there is not much of a market for them at this stage. GPUs are mostly designed to prioritize monitors over TVs. Most modern monitors have DP, thats why we find 3 x DP ports on the GPU and only one HDMI. There may be expensive active adapters that can do the full bandwidth, but no cables as of yet. Lots of DP to HDMI cables exist, just not the high bandwidth type you need. Surprised you can get full bandwidth out of HDMI to DVI cable. I believe specs say DVI cant do 4k 60hz 4:4:4.

Thanks for the posts. I was surprised about getting the 4k 60hz 4:4:4 on the HDMI to DVI cable, but I did go through 10+ different cables until I found one that would actually work - it ended up being a cable from Monoprice.

I did order this DP to HDMI adapter and this cable from Amazon. We'll see if that works.

Thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There is a common misconception that dual link DVI is limited to a maximum pixel clock of 330 MHz, probably because of Wikipedia. But there are numerous monitors that are dual link DVI only that are 2560x1440 120 Hz, which requires a pixel clock of about 483 MHz. The pixel clock of UHD 4K at 60 Hz is about 533 MHz using TMDS encoding. With how over-engineered DL-DVI was I don't think it's a stretch for it to be able to do 4K 60 Hz even though it was never officially supported.

There is a common misconception that dual link DVI is limited to a maximum pixel clock of 330 MHz, probably because of Wikipedia. But there are numerous monitors that are dual link DVI only that are 2560x1440 120 Hz, which requires a pixel clock of about 483 MHz. The pixel clock of UHD 4K at 60 Hz is about 533 MHz using TMDS encoding. With how over-engineered DL-DVI was I don't think it's a stretch for it to be able to do 4K 60 Hz even though it was never officially supported.

I didn't know the technical details (thanks!), but you are right. The cable that I ended up using was a Monoprice cable, but it was several years old and it still works to this day. Too bad the RTX line of cards no longer support dual link DVI.

If the cables and adapters you bought on Amazon don't work, I've always had good luck with the Star Tech branded ones.

Hate to ask the obvious, but have you tried the adapters that are included with the 2080S?

Back