upgraded from 8800 GTS to 8800 GTX

MD

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi,

Well if there is some people out there thinking GTS or GTX this info might be usefull.

I went from GTS to GTX and got no tangible diference. Just few hundred points in 3Dmark to extend E-pennis. Plus bit more noise in 2D and slower switching between resolutions.
Funny thing that I've actualy lost like half a frame in Aquamark 3 !!??

If You have mid range CPU and your monitor is smaller then 24" You will have no use of extra money you spend on GTX. Only You will be able to say I have a GTX.

Both cards I've had in my systems are/were from Asus. GTS switched out of games to desktop faster, draw less curent, was slightly quieter in 2D.

Actualy I have more respect regarding GTS now as I have had when I was owning it.

I went for GTX after I've build PC with GTX for smeone. Though with high end CPU GTX shines. CPU and new platform makes all the difference.

Well soon anyways I'll go to C2D platform and then I'll get more performance out of it.

I have 4200+ X2 and 20" WS monior and it doesn't make much of a difference.
Well for people with C2D and/or 24" and biger monitors in some games diference could mean better gameplay.

For a price difference I could have get myself Samsung 500 GB HD. That would make tangible diference.

My 2 cents

MD

Games benchmars everything. With 20" screen and 4200+ X2 and 2GB ram and I can't see/tell any diference. :(

Get like 600 points more in 3Dmark. I've deinstalled all nividia drivers. I've installed first chipset drivers and then a 97.92 WHQL. I've verifyed in Sysoft Sandra that my system is working as usual (same memory truput and CPU scores). I've checked for viruses and spywares. I've defragmented a system HDD. Everything is optimal and still difference is to small to tell.

Have to fire up few more games though. I'll also uninstall 3Dmark and install it again.

I'll install few more games to.

With 1680x1050 I was already able to use max settings in almost every game even with GTS.

MD

Well at least your covered when future games come out that want more graphical juice than the GTS can supply :)

Well at least your covered when future games come out that want more graphical juice than the GTS can supply :)

Well, not necessarily. With an Athlon 4200 or w/e he has, he really wouldn't have much luck seeing as most new games are using the CPU more and more.

So I would expect if that were upgraded to a Core 2 Duo there would be a bit more difference for the future ;) plus, there will be refresh cards out that will be much better than the GTX and GTS FPS difference anyways soon.

Next step for me is a E6600 and ASUS P5N32-E SLI (680i chipset, Striker PCB without LCD and switches etc.) and some Micron D9.

If I go crazy maybe a quad core.

Guess then GTX will shine brigther.

MD

My e-pen0r grew when I got mine.. yes, this is me. hahaha. :D

IMG_1435.jpg

I just stepped up from an eVGA GTS to a GTX. My cpu is not that much faster than yours and I have to disagree with you. I notice no more fan noise from my GTX and the "resolution switching" seems the same to me. I run all my games at 1600 x 1200 and the GTS struggled a bit in FEAR and Quake4 with 8xaa and 16xaf- the GTX runs a lot smoother. Also..I'm running the GTX with the same Enermax 535watt powersupply that ran the GTS and have not noticed any decrease in my voltage rails- everything is still stable- I even added another SATA hard drive when I installed the GTX with no power problems.

You'll be much happier with the GTX down the road- especially if you plan to upgrade to a C2D.

Hence my static wrist strap and holding it by the pci bracket.. rofl. ;)

Good call w1retap!

I am in the process of upgrading from a GTS to a GTX (through eVGA's Step-Up Program). I hope it is worth it. Reason I did it is because I only get to upgrade every 2-3 years. Hopefully a GTX will be able to hold me over even longer than that. In addition the extra processing power never hurts. I read on average you can expect a 20% increase while using a GTX over a GTS.

While it's true that it won't be a spectacular upgrade today, in 6 months it will seem like a much more reasonable upgrade. Newer games will come out and the 8800gtx WILL have to work much harder. It will last probably 3 years for those who can deal with not having the best card evar, even longer for those like me :D

Agreed at this point the GTS and GTX have a fair amount of headroom. Just look at the reviews games can currently be maxed out at 1680X1050 and the cards have no problem providing ample power for frame rates. The only game that made my GTS sweat was COD2. When that game is maxed out I can see some stuttering in graphic-intensive scenes.

Back