Upgraded from 2500k to 3700x. Mind Blown...

n370zed

Limp Gawd
Old System
I5-2500k 4.5ghz
ASRock P67
16GB DDR3 1600mhz
GTX 1080 FE

*EDIT*
New System
R7 3800x (4.5ghz 1.4v)
Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO
ASUS Strix ROG B450f Gaming
32GB DDR4 3600mhz
GTX 1080 FE

HP 27” 1440p 144hz GSYNC

So I finally got around to putting my new rig together and like everyone else I’m very happy with the upgrade. I play mainly Overwatch so I’m used to seeing numbers it produced. I play on Medium settings at 100% screen resolution to try and stay at or above the 144hz refresh rate. My GTX 1080 FE is overclocked to 2050mhz core. I left the memory alone. On the 2500k 4.5ghz the FPS fluctuates from 100-160. On the 3700x using PBO
I’m seeing 230-280 frames. This is incredible. The 3700x came with Borderlands 3 so I got something new to play with.

I’m using the stock cooler that came with the 3700x. It’s nice but damn it can be very loud at times . It’s pretty to look at tho lol. I’m gonna get an AIO for this eventually.

So for those who is still holding onto sandy bridge or older I would say it’s safe to upgrade to the new Ryzen 3000 series if you’re building new from the ground up.

*EDIT* Returned the 3700x and grabbed a 3800x which was on sale for $50 off. Also bought a Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO. Downloaded Ryzen Master. Manual OC to 4.5ghz with 1.4v. Stable so far. I’m gonna hopefully tune it to run under 1.4v.

Last edited:
I’m using the stock cooler that came with the 3700x. It’s nice but damn it can be very loud at times . It’s pretty to look at tho lol. I’m gonna get an AIO for this eventually.
I am a quiet freak so reluctance to use the stock cooler made me hold off assembling the 3700x and mobo/ram I've collected. I am hoping one of the Noctua tower coolers goes on sale come Black Friday but damn waiting is tough...

Busying myself turning my current Win 7 rig into a VM that can run on the Ubuntu server I will install using my current HW.

Old System
I5-2500k 4.5ghz
ASRock P67
16GB DDR3 1600mhz
GTX 1080 FE

New System
R7 3700x
ASUS Strix ROG B450f Gaming
32GB DDR4 3600mhz
GTX 1080 FE

HP 27” 1440p 144hz GSYNC

So I finally got around to putting my new rig together and like everyone else I’m very happy with the upgrade. I play mainly Overwatch so I’m used to seeing numbers it produced. I play on Medium settings at 100% screen resolution to try and stay at or above the 144hz refresh rate. My GTX 1080 FE is overclocked to 2050mhz core. I left the memory alone. On the 2500k 4.5ghz the FPS fluctuates from 100-160. On the 3700x using PBO
I’m seeing 230-280 frames. This is incredible. The 3700x came with Borderlands 3 so I got something new to play with.

So for those who is still holding onto sandy bridge or older I would say it’s safe to upgrade to the new Ryzen 3000 series if you’re building new from the ground up.
Went from a 2500K and older SATA SSD to a 3600 with PBO and M2.PCIe SSD and I am pretty impressed.

The 2500k had a good run and highly overclocked it is still competent in most games but 4 freaking cores just does not cut it in most newer titles especially trying to push a higher end GPU. Personally I found that CPU a little inadequate even 4 to 5 years as some games were already making use of more than 4 cores.

Wonder if I should upgrade my 4690k w/ 32GB RAM and a SSD.

I am a quiet freak so reluctance to use the stock cooler made me hold off assembling the 3700x and mobo/ram I've collected.

Me too, had to use one for half a year (2600x/wraith whatever it comes with) just use a custom fan profile and it's actually fine for stock clocks even in mITX (I'm used to 180mm 700rpm sleeve bearing fans etc...). Just do it :)

n370zed
Looking to do a similar jump for personal rig soon but 2600k instead.
We've had a good run with those *lakes...

I have not upgraded my system in probably 6 years. what suppliers do you use for board/processor/memory? The old ones seem to be all gone.

I have not upgraded my system in probably 6 years. what suppliers do you use for board/processor/memory? The old ones seem to be all gone.

I use Amazon and Best Buy. Others use Newegg. Pretty sure there’s plenty more lol but I mainly use Amazon and Best Buy.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
The plan was to upgrade my 2500k in 2018 with Coffee Lake, but it didn't last last long - motherboard died on me, and didn't feel like replacing it. I had a Pentium Anniversary Edition + Z97 MATE I picked up for Microcenter on a whim, and used that until they released something worth upgrading to.

But as I was scrounging listings at the local Microcenter, I spotted 4790k in clearance. For half the cost of DDR4 plus motherboard plus Ryzen 1600 I could get similar performance and much faster single-thread, and it was retail boxed.

I'm still waiting for a game to make my 4790k weep, but it hasn't happened. So maybe 'I'll upgrade next year when Zen 2 goes on clearance?

The plan was to upgrade my 2500k in 2018 with Coffee Lake, but it didn't last last long - motherboard died on me, and didn't feel like replacing it. I had a Pentium Anniversary Edition + Z97 MATE I picked up for Microcenter on a whim, and used that until they released something worth upgrading to.

But as I was scrounging listings at the local Microcenter, I spotted 4790k in clearance. For half the cost of DDR4 plus motherboard plus Ryzen 1600 I could get similar performance and much faster single-thread, and it was retail boxed.

I'm still waiting for a game to make my 4790k weep, but it hasn't happened. So maybe 'I'll upgrade next year when Zen 2 goes on clearance?
You sure aren't very picky then as a 4790k absolutely cannot hold 60fps in some newer games. And I know it also hits full utilization in parts of some games because I had an overclocked 4770k. I got absolutely massive improvements in most of Ubisoft games such as Watch Dogs 2 where my minimum frame rates literally doubled with a 9900 k.

Absolutely living this upgrade. 4.5ghz 1.4v on a H115i w stock thermal pad idles around 35-40 ish and from what coretemp tells me the max was 70c after an hour of Overwatch and BL3 and running some benchmarks. GTX 1080FE +200 core Borderlands 3 on high settings with fog off is netting me 75-100 FPS(GSYNC ftw). I’m not far along into the game. Let’s say I just killed the first boss if that’s any indication. Waiting for Nvidia to release their next line of cards to really make this system scream.

Absolutely living this upgrade. 4.5ghz 1.4v on a H115i w stock thermal pad idles around 35-40 ish and from what coretemp tells me the max was 70c after an hour of Overwatch and BL3 and running some benchmarks. GTX 1080FE +200 core Borderlands 3 on high settings with fog off is netting me 75-100 FPS(GSYNC ftw). I’m not far along into the game. Let’s say I just killed the first boss if that’s any indication. Waiting for Nvidia to release their next line of cards to really make this system scream.

What are your peak temps in HWInfo 64 if you fire up the latest Prime 95, set it to Blend, and stress test for an hour. I have the same cooler and I’m hitting in the low to mid 70s with the same cooler, I can’t tell if that good or not :p I’m using PBO and five of my eight cores can hit 4.4GHz.

Ryzen Master reports much lower temps.

What are your peak temps in HWInfo 64 if you fire up the latest Prime 95, set it to Blend, and stress test for an hour. I have the same cooler and I’m hitting in the low to mid 70s with the same cooler, I can’t tell if that good or not :p I’m using PBO and five of my eight cores can hit 4.4GHz.

Ryzen Master reports much lower temps.

I will do that tonight after I get off work.

So I did Prime95 blend test stable at 4.4ghz 1.4v temps hit a maximum of 70c on stock TiM that came with the AIO.I bought some mx-4 thermal compound and it’s arriving today. Guess my chip ain’t that much of an OCer but I’m fine with that.

I was ask about ( all cores or pre CCX ) in bios as if it exist under the new AGESA 1004 Beta for MSI x470 Gaming Plus .. I set it pre CCX in bios and changed to Ryzen HP Power plan , in Ryzen Master set to auto overclocking and raised to 4600mhz with the stock cooler it was clocked at 4425 boost in a Fire Strike run once I set RX 5700 into performance mode in driver tab .

If I try to record using Relive when gaming it caps my clocks to 4250Mhz .. turned off and iPhone records all cores can boost 4350Mhz or more as they are free to do what they want to boost up and down .. not like a 4.3Ghz all the time hard set overclock ,

RX 570 8GB

I like the 3700x with that cooler !

Last edited:
You sure aren't very picky then as a 4790k absolutely cannot hold 60fps in some newer games. And I know it also hits full utilization in parts of some games because I had an overclocked 4770k. I got absolutely massive improvements in most of Ubisoft games such as Watch Dogs 2 where my minimum frame rates literally doubled with a 9900 k.

I don't play as many online games as I used to, and thanks to the EGS exclusive, I have 6 months to think about the Borderlands 3 performance affecting my opinion of the 4790k :D

I hate Rockstar Open World games, Tomb Raider AND Assassin's Creeed, so the list of new demanding-on-CPU games is pretty short. I fully expect no problems from Doom Eternal, because it's the efficient Doom engine.

You sir have obviously not play Red Dead Redemption 2, THIS will make your CPU not weep, but full out cry and beg for mercy. :nailbiting:

I told you in my post that I don't like Rockstar open-world games. What is the point of bringing up Red -Dead-Boredom 2: Walking Simulator XTX?

I told you in my post that I don't like Rockstar open-world games. What is the point of bringing up Red -Dead-Boredom 2: Walking Simulator XTX?

easy... hadn't seen your post. At any rate, to each their own.

Haha love it! I cant stand any of thier games. Open world was the worst concept ever cursed upon gaming mankind.

Im really enjoying this 3800x. Im getting Boost clocks in the 4.5 - 4.6 ghz. Granted only a few cores hit 4.6ghz. Temps seems very good too.

3800x.jpg

Im really enjoying this 3800x. Im getting Boost clocks in the 4.5 - 4.6 ghz. Granted only a few cores hit 4.6ghz. Temps seems very good too.

View attachment 203304

I almost bought a 3700x when they first came out and honestly looking back it wouldn't have been a bad chip at all. Very fast. Powerful at gaming. A real winner if you ask me. I'm happy your enjoying that 3800x. Is a seriously powerful 8 core cpu.

I almost bought a 3700x when they first came out and honestly looking back it wouldn't have been a bad chip at all. Very fast. Powerful at gaming. A real winner if you ask me. I'm happy your enjoying that 3800x. Is a seriously powerful 8 core cpu.

I don't understand why the R7 3800x have more TDP vs R7 3700x with the same core quantity, only few mhz more

Last edited:
Adict0 Oh right you can just post on the fsft thread that I have concerning the card to keep the subject matter pertinent to the thread topic. We are not permitted to do sales and deals etc... in these sub forums.

You have to have a minimum post count before you are allowed to PM or sale stuff.

Back