Upgraded from 1700x to 5600 and now mobo does not post

Dosobye

Limp Gawd
Hello I recently upgraded my 1700x to a 5600 and now my pc does not post

I have 16gb ram
Asrock B450 K4 gaming atx motherboard

I was running 3.4 bios on the 1700x. I updated to 5.30 before making the swap and made sure everything was working ok. Even ran some bench marks.
Then I swapped the cpu out and now I cannot post. I tried one stick of ram in different slots. Erase cmos memory and nothing is helping.
What it does is power on and after 10 seconds boot loop. No message on display.

I haven’t gone back to the old cpu yet. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas before I did that.

Thank you

Take the CPU out (carefully) and check every single pin to make sure none are bent/missing.
Also, just in case, make sure you have a PC speaker hooked up for BIOS beep codes.

From the bios ver. 5.3 notes for your board "*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if you are going to use Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU on your system.
*Before updating this BIOS, please also read the description in previous BIOS version." Basically you shouldn't have "Tested and benched with the 1700X" before installing the 5600X after the bios flash. I made the same mistake on a B450 Tomahawk board causing me to have to RMA to MSI to repair it. There was no physical damage to the board but the bios got corrupted in a way I do not understand and rendered it useless. Bios flashback was unable to correct it. I very closely examined the board when it was returned to me and saw no evidence of rework on the board leading me to believe MSI used a clip on soic programmer to reflash the bios chip while still soldered to the main board to repair it. I now have an soic eeprom programmer to attempt the repair myself should the need arise again.

Reactions: c3k
like this
Ok, I see the edit now. So with that said, try to flash to an older version bios, I don't think that board has bios flash back. So put the old CPU in then go to an older bios. Maybe 5.10. I had an ASRock board that wouldn't work on a new bios and had to go back one. Maybe once you get the 5600 working on the older bios, try to flash back to a newer one.

That board might not permit you to upgrade directly from a Zen 1 chip to a Zen 3 chip at all. You will have to find a Zen 2 CPU (aka Ryzen 3000 series - and one of the original lineup of Ryzen 3000s such as the 3700X, at that) in order to upgrade CPUs to a Ryzen 5000 series, based on all of the past BIOS versions for that board.

And ASRock will not let you downgrade the BIOS version below 3.40 under any circumstance.

Before you revert, have you tried a plugs-out, battery-out CMOS reset? Try that, install the new CPU without booting the old one, and see if anything happens
I would definitely try this.
I've encountered this same issue 2 weeks ago when changing my 1600x to 4350g.
Have run the usual procedure, then it won't boot.

Edited: my mobo is asrock B450M hdv with bios 4.4 (support ryzen 5000).

Tried to unplug the power cable off PSU, unplug 24 pin mobo & 4 pin cpu from cpu, jumper the cmos for around 1 minute, unseat all the ram, and then plug all of it again (with only 1 ram installed on slot B2), then try to power it again while using ryzen 5600

Well I put the 1700x back in and that didn’t work. I had to fiddle with it a bit. Turns out didn’t like one memory stick. Put back two and a bios reset and it was back to normal and workkng. I updated to 5.60 bios while I was at it. Went back to 5600 and no good either. I tried the battery removal, but that hasn’t helped.

That board might not permit you to upgrade directly from a Zen 1 chip to a Zen 3 chip at all. You will have to find a Zen 2 CPU (aka Ryzen 3000 series - and one of the original lineup of Ryzen 3000s such as the 3700X, at that) in order to upgrade CPUs to a Ryzen 5000 series, based on all of the past BIOS versions for that board.

And ASRock will not let you downgrade the BIOS version below 3.40 under any circumstance.
What do you mean by that? Does that mean I’m SOL?

Well I put the 1700x back in and that didn’t work. I had to fiddle with it a bit. Turns out didn’t like one memory stick. Put back two and a bios reset and it was back to normal and workkng. I updated to 5.60 bios while I was at it. Went back to 5600 and no good either. I tried the battery removal, but that hasn’t helped.
Sorry, I want to clarify first.
When you can boot using 1700x, what bios version your board is?
If its version 4.2 and below, perhaps when you upgrade your bios, you can start from 4.5 and then update it one step at a time until 5.31.

Then unseat 1700x, replace with 5600, and try to clear cmos first with the electric cable to psu unplugged and the cmos battery also unplugged. Wait for 1 minute, put everything back on, and install only 1 ram on the B2 slot. Then try to power on

What do you mean by that? Does that mean I’m SOL?
Pretty much. None of the BIOS versions for your board that support a 5000 series CPU support any of the CPUs older than a 3000-series CPU. It's a limitation of your motherboard's BIOS ROM.

Back