upgraded a client pc from 2000 to XP, now login ID lost..

Brav

Limp Gawd
I can login as admin and see all the files as I've left them for that ID. However, the main user login was reset and just has access to the apps, not any of his old files. If I go to Docs and Settings, select the old user ID, and dig around, all of his old files are there.. But Win XP changed his old login ID by adding a "1" to the end of it, which I guess created a new ID. The old files are not associated with this new ID.

My question is, how do I put his old login ID on the login screen and make sure the files come back? I can create a new one, modify an existing, but not resurect and old one, from what I can tell.

Also, I installed the upgrade under the Admin login ID. I guess thats why it works and the other doesnt?

Please help.. I'm dying here at the office.

Brav said:
I can login as admin and see all the files as I've left them for that ID. However, the main user login was reset and just has access to the apps, not any of his old files. If I go to Docs and Settings, select the old user ID, and dig around, all of his old files are there.. But Win XP changed his old login ID by adding a "1" to the end of it, which I guess created a new ID. The old files are not associated with this new ID.

My question is, how do I put his old login ID on the login screen and make sure the files come back? I can create a new one, modify an existing, but not resurect and old one, from what I can tell.

Also, I installed the upgrade under the Admin login ID. I guess thats why it works and the other doesnt?

Please help.. I'm dying here at the office.
Fire up another tab or window and have google ready, I'm not explaining the things you don't or won't understand.

Take ownership of the files using the admin account.
Copy said files somewhere else other than in the profile directory.
Right-click My Computer, click Properties, go to Advanced, then click the User Profiles button.
Delete any unknowns.
Log out.
Log user back in.
Copy files from saved location to user profile.

You could do it another way by giving that account permission to use the "old" profile directory, but that's a hack. Not advice I like to give out.

Back