Upgraded 212+ to Noctua NH-D14. Results inside. 2500K @ 4.7GHz

Actually, there is some performance increase - but that increase is even more minuscule than what has been achieved in older platforms

yep i agree, which is why i phrased it "essentially zero" performance increase.

Not sure about Sandy Bridge but on my Clarkdale,increasing in RAM frequency by changing the BCLK:RAM ratio actually decreases performance.

The CM Hyper 212 is overrated especially on this forum for some reason. It's really not a very good cooler.

it's cheap, that's why. And nearly every mom&pop computer store, even the big ones (Frys) has them in stock. Easy to find, relatively small, and supports dual fans, unlike even some of the better heatsinks out there.

I had a good 6-8C difference between my Hyper 212+ and Noctua NH-D14 on my old i7-860 rig.

I'm sitting at 4.7GHz right now - 1.375Vcore running 20 burn test, hopefully I'm stable!

Nice 5.1GHz at that vcore, so I would say you can run 5.1GHz 24/7? :p

And the Hyper 212+ really is a great cooler for it's performance. There's nothing really worth getting over it unless you get an H60 or NH-D14.
Anything else and you'll be wasting money for a 1-4C difference rather a 5-10C difference...

I could run 5.1 24/7 with another .01/.02 on the vcore to be on the safe side, but I like the 5.0 spot for now. I have 2 Delta 133CFM 92x38mm fans coming in later this week so I'll hook those puppies up to the NH-D14 n see if they make any difference on the temps :D. If they're too loud I'll just run some stability testing & try for 5.2 then take them off until I can get a fan controller for them.

Last edited:
you will want to rip your ears off and puncture your drums with those delta fans.

fan controller required. and make sure it can handle the current. IIRC those draw a LOT of power.

I gained 160mhz at same vcore from the 212 to te d14 on my 2600k it was a super hot chip to start running in the 60s on stock cooler at stock volts and clocks

Have you run IBT w/ the newer LinPack enabling AVX? It made my low voltage 5 Ghz clock instantly unstable

Back