Upgraded 212+ to Noctua NH-D14. Results inside. 2500K @ 4.7GHz

SaViOr-

[H]ard|Gawd
I changed out the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ heatsink for the Noctua NH-D14. I got the NH-D14 in hopes of reaching 5-5.2GHz with reasonable temperatures. Below are Pics of install and size comparisons, temp results between the two are at the end.
Sorry for the quality of the pictures, they were taken with my Droid but you get the idea.

Size Comparison: Hyper 212+ installed, Stock Intel in middle (never used) & the Noctua NH-D14 on the right.

Noctua NH-D14 Installed on motherboard. Mountain Dew can there for size comparison. This thing is HUGE.

NH-D14 & all other components installed in case Still working on the cable management a little bit, but it's not bad as-is.

Now to see if the Upgrade was worth it from the 212+ to the NH-D14... Check out the Minimum and Maximum Temps in RealTemp and HW Monitor Pro

**Intel Burn Test was used on Very High Stress level and ran 5 times. CPU-Z and RealTemp are showing 1600mhz because I took the screenshot after Intel Burn Test finished so the clocks went from 4.7ghz to the idle speed of 1.6ghz**

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 4.7GHz

Noctua NH-D14 4.7GHz

**EDIT**
Got it to 5.1GHz with 1.38v set in BIOS (looks like it went to1.4v max according to HW Monitor Pro) for an IBT run, not too shabby. I tried 5.2ghz with 1.42vcore, but it froze running AIDA64 Extreme's Stability Test. May try to fine tune it more later, but pretty satisfied as of right now :).

Conclusion:
Upgrade was well worth it. The Temp difference is pretty significant, and should help me reach my Overclocking goal :D

Last edited:
The nh-d14 is like 1/4 of your case lol. Nice temps, how is noise?

Noise is great actually. No louder than the 212+ was, with all fans on 100% using Fan Xpert in the AI Suite II. I'm never really bothered by the noise of anything though since I game with a headset and when I'm just browsing the fans are on low and can't be heard at all. Yeah the NH-D14 is a monster lol looks like it'll eat the 212+ for lunch then have the stock intel hs/f for dessert.

I'm sure I could get the temps even a little lower If I had better fans in my case. Right now I just have some random 120mm fans in there;1 rear, 2 front, 1 side and 2 top. That might be something I'll upgrade during the summer, for now all is good

Nice results. The NH-D14 is definitely a beast. I didn't think it was that big until I installed it on my motherboard - it easily dwarfs everything else.

Looking at your "max" temps in real temp/core temp, you are almost pushing 90C.

Seems a bit high. I think max safe is 98C but it throttles at 90C. Nice OC though.

Nice results.

I think you could drop another 5C or so if you upgrade case fans (scythe GT, maybe 1450-RPM for case fans?), switch to triple scythe GT fans (the 1850 RPM AP-15 model) on the NH-D14, and possibly make sure you're using the best possible thermal interface material (Indigo Xtreme is expensive as hell and people report inconsistent results with it and coollaboratory liquid pro, so I wouldn't bother).

Whether or not that is worthwhile is up to you... I'm just trying to think of ways to get you back closer to 80C as opposed to 90C. I don't like to exceed 85C, as a rule.

Thanks for all the kind words guys! :D

I don't run the rig at 5.1ghz 24/7, i just ran Intel Burn Test to see if its stable there. So the little higher temp wasn't much of a concern since it was just for the stability test. I will take your advice though Archmage to upgrade my case fans and possibly the fans on the NH-D14 soon here to help increase the airflow in my case. Maybe try for more after that :cool:.

I run at 5.0GHz at 1.37v (Set in BIOS) for my 24/7 clock and after playing Crysis 2 MP for 3 hours my highest core temp was 62 and lowest was 56 so the Noctua is doing it's job. Really amazed by how well it cools everything.

i think this will have no issues cooling my Q6600 if i don't go water instead.

i would end up going with a 3 fan setup cause i am captain overkill as long as it didn't interfere with my ram slots.

i think this will have no issues cooling my Q6600 if i don't go water instead.

i would end up going with a 3 fan setup cause i am captain overkill as long as it didn't interfere with my ram slots.
The NH-D14 will be able to handle that Q6600 without trouble.

Take a look at the following link: http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/957861-secrets-d14-ch-1-introduction-solo.html

He is testing the NH-D14 extensively with different fan configurations. I'm hoping he'll give it an update soon. But, right now, he has data for 140mm fans of various manufacturers.

The NH-D14 can handle the Q6600 easily with pretty much anything (reasonable) that you can throw at it with ease :D. I will be looking into upgrading the fans soon here, just gotta see what would give me the best temps, since I really don't care too much about noise. I use a 5.1 headset for gaming.

Does the Noctua overhang the first PCIe slot? <-- I swear I posted this question two nights ago, but it went into thin air :(

I'm interested in moving from a H 212+ to a Noctua 14 :D

Nope. Not on my board anyway lol. if you look at the top view of my case after i installed it you can see that there's plenty of room between the NH-D14 and first PCI-e :). If you'd like a better picture just PM me and I can get that for ya no prob.

Ah, I ask because I have the minime version of your board, the P8P67-M Pro, and clearance is tight enough as is with the Hyper 212+ :( I meant to ask the first PCIe1 slot, not the PCIe16 slot, I'm sorry for asking the same thing twice :(

I changed out the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ heatsink for the Noctua NH-D14. I got the NH-D14 in hopes of reaching 5-5.2GHz with reasonable temperatures. Below are Pics of install and size comparisons, temp results between the two are at the end.
Sorry for the quality of the pictures, they were taken with my Droid but you get the idea.

Size Comparison: Hyper 212+ installed, Stock Intel in middle (never used) & the Noctua NH-D14 on the right.

Noctua NH-D14 Installed on motherboard. Mountain Dew can there for size comparison. This thing is HUGE.

NH-D14 & all other components installed in case Still working on the cable management a little bit, but it's not bad as-is.

Now to see if the Upgrade was worth it from the 212+ to the NH-D14... Check out the Minimum and Maximum Temps in RealTemp and HW Monitor Pro

**Intel Burn Test was used on Very High Stress level and ran 5 times. CPU-Z and RealTemp are showing 1600mhz because I took the screenshot after Intel Burn Test finished so the clocks went from 4.7ghz to the idle speed of 1.6ghz**

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ 4.7GHz

Noctua NH-D14 4.7GHz

**EDIT**
Got it to 5.1GHz with 1.38v set in BIOS (looks like it went to1.4v max according to HW Monitor Pro) for an IBT run, not too shabby. I tried 5.2ghz with 1.42vcore, but it froze running AIDA64 Extreme's Stability Test. May try to fine tune it more later, but pretty satisfied as of right now :).

Conclusion:
Upgrade was well worth it. The Temp difference is pretty significant, and should help me reach my Overclocking goal :D
did you enable the pll for stability over 5Ghz?

Going from 1600mhz to 1800mhz with the rams gives a 20-30 percent performance boost. Corsair Vengeance

did you enable the pll for stability over 5Ghz?

Going from 1600mhz to 1800mhz with the rams gives a 20-30 percent performance boost. Corsair Vengeance

really?
im running mine at 1333 because i have 4gb of 1333 and 8 of 1600... what did you test to get such great incrase?

Nice results.

I think you could drop another 5C or so if you upgrade case fans (scythe GT, maybe 1450-RPM for case fans?), switch to triple scythe GT fans (the 1850 RPM AP-15 model) on the NH-D14, and possibly make sure you're using the best possible thermal interface material (Indigo Xtreme is expensive as hell and people report inconsistent results with it and coollaboratory liquid pro, so I wouldn't bother).

Whether or not that is worthwhile is up to you... I'm just trying to think of ways to get you back closer to 80C as opposed to 90C. I don't like to exceed 85C, as a rule.

that is ace shit but its a f ing close to impossible task to get it of your cpu not like you will need to a person hopes

Ah, I ask because I have the minime version of your board, the P8P67-M Pro, and clearance is tight enough as is with the Hyper 212+ :( I meant to ask the first PCIe1 slot, not the PCIe16 slot, I'm sorry for asking the same thing twice :(

Ohh lol, sorry I misunderstood. It looks like it would be a tight fit. I don't have anything that's PCIe 1, otherwise I would test it out for you man. The Hyper 212+ is 120mm wide and the NH-D14 is 140mm wide, an extra 10mm on each side according to the CM and Noctua websites. From the looks of it whatever is in the PCIe1 slot would touch the fan clip (which if wrapped in electrical tape shouldn't cause any problems). I'll see If i can get a better picture tomorrow, I tried to take one now but the pc is on and dark under desk :p.

PLL is on Extreme and my Ram is 1600mhz ram so not really looking to OC that at all since I've never done it and happy with the clocks I got so far :D. I doubt 20-30% increae is possible. I'm already sitting at a 54.5% overclock from stock.

Ohh lol, sorry I misunderstood. It looks like it would be a tight fit. I don't have anything that's PCIe 1, otherwise I would test it out for you man. The Hyper 212 is 120mm wide and the NH-D14 is 140mm wide, an extra 10mm on each side according to the CM and Noctua websites. From the looks of it whatever is in the PCIe1 slot would touch the fan clip (which if wrapped in electrical tape shouldn't cause any problems). I'll see If i can get a better picture tomorrow, I tried to take one now but the pc is on and dark under desk :p.

PLL is on Extreme and my Ram is 1600mhz ram so not really looking to OC that at all since I've never done it and happy with the clocks I got so far :D. I doubt 20-30% increae is possible. I'm already sitting at a 54.5% overclock from stock.

no lol meant ram performance. some of the 2500k cpus you can hit over 2100 with the ram some goes to 1800mhz. D2 seems to be ones going high

Those are great temp results and very nice overclock!

If you want to go faster a pair of 38mm fans and good TIM will give you another 100Mhz easy.

For TIM I'm using Noctua NT-H1, from all the reviews I've seen this is pretty good stuff. I was thinking about getting a few of the Scythe Slipstream 110cfm fans =>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=scythe_slipstream-_-35-185-060-_-Product Newegg has a volume discount on these so I was thinking about getting like 3 of them. 2 for Push/pull on the NH-D14 and then 1 as an exhaust right behind the Cooler itself. From what I've read it wouldn't really make sense to use 3 on the NH-D14 itself since they wont make that much of a difference.... What do you guys think? Then I'm not sure what I'd do with the Noctua NF-P14 & NF-P12. Maybe replace some of the current fans in my case with those?

Last edited:
may want to search around. might be able to find a better deal on the fans

EDIT: Newegg beats jabtech by virtue of newegg actually displaying free shipping in my cart (26ish for newegg 30 for jabtech). if you wanna pay 4 bucks more jabtech claims 2 day shipping vs. newegg's 3. new egg is usually 2 for me if it ships out of jersey (im in pa)

i have used them on the xiggy in a push/pull after i decided 2 120x38mm 130+ CFM Deltas were too loud. the scythe slipstreams were still loud but much quieter than the deltas. i think both died within 12 to 18 months too. can't remember exactly but i know they seized up a LONG time ago.

Last edited:
may want to search around. might be able to find a better deal on the fans

EDIT: Newegg beats jabtech by virtue of newegg actually displaying free shipping in my cart (26ish for newegg 30 for jabtech). if you wanna pay 4 bucks more jabtech claims 2 day shipping vs. newegg's 3. new egg is usually 2 for me if it ships out of jersey (im in pa)

i have used them on the xiggy in a push/pull after i decided 2 120x38mm 130+ CFM Deltas were too loud. the scythe slipstreams were still loud but much quieter than the deltas. i think both died within 12 to 18 months too. can't remember exactly but i know they seized up a LONG time ago.

I've never bought from jabtech, or even heard of them before. I did find some good deals though, which sparked some ideas in my head :D.

How would this set-up look:

2x Scythe "ULTRA KAZE" 120 x 38 mm for Push/Pull on the NH-D14. Would have to be attached to the front and back of the heatsink since 38mm would be too thick to put in the middle.
http://www.jab-tech.com/Scythe-ULTRA-KAZE-120-x-38-mm-Case-Fan-High-pr-3940.html

And then get 5x YATE LOON D12SH-12 - High Speed 120mm fans to replace all the fans in my case.
http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120mm-Case-Fan-D12SH-12-High-Speed-pr-3771.html
Would be 2x Front Intake, 2x Top Exhaust, 1x Rear Exhaust & the NF-P14 140mm from the NH-D14 would be used as a side intake. Would I even need a rear exhaust then since one of the ultra kazes will be on the back of the heatsink which would be real close to the rear exhaust fan?

Would cost me $42.99 for all the fans with shipping. Not sure if upgrading all the case fans would make that big of a difference, but if it does I'll do it. Currently using Antec tri-blue led 120mm as case fans. I run them all on the highest setting which I believe is 2000rpm 30dba and 79cfm, not 100% sure

Last edited:
Scythe SFF21E Sony Fluid Dynamic 1.2k RPM49CFM 20dBA
Noctua SSO .9k-1.1k-1.3k RPM 33-54CFM 13-20dBA adj. speed
Silverstone 2Ball .8k-2.4k RPM Max 110CFM 17-40dBA fan contr.

i've used jabtech in the past when it comes to some odd fans or coolers. pretty good deals on some fans in bulk pricing as you see. usually the top 3 i used to hit were jabtech, sidewinder, and frozencpu i think. i used to know about half a dozen places for cooling and mods off the top of my head. notsomuch anymore...

upgrading case fans will depend on the temperature difference you're seeing now between room and case. ideally you want the case as close to ambient as possible. i usually try to balance the intake/exhaust flow as close as possible and make sure there are little to no restrictions or wire management issues inside the case. sometimes just tidying up cables is worth a couple degrees if they're really bad.

loks like you'd be gaining only around 20cfm intake/exhaust. then you're adding the 140mm side intake. i agree with the use of the side intake fan but im not so sure 20cfm overall is gonna make a lot of difference like i said unless the case is exceptionally hot or above ambient as it is.

and don't worry about never hearing about jabtech before. i can vouch the products are legit and the shipping respectable. placed multiple orders with no issues :cool:

Does the Noctua overhang the first PCIe slot? <-- I swear I posted this question two nights ago, but it went into thin air :(

I'm interested in moving from a H 212+ to a Noctua 14 :D

It does on my MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) mobo. Look at how close it is to my sound card without the fans secured with the clips (the clips stick out a bit):

P67AGD65-Issue-4.jpg

P67AGD65-Issue-1.jpg

P67AGD65-Issue-2.jpg

I'm not really sure what to do with it at this point, since I don't want metal touching my sound card and the only other option is to turn it 90 degrees and have all the hot air flowing directly at the card...

i haven't ever used the stock clips or fan gromets with my xiggy. i got around the problem you posted with some small all-thread rod and some lock nuts. i made a big ass xiggy sandwich with my 120x38mm deltas that i had at the time. bent a couple fins, ran the rod straight through, tighten nut, done.

to work on the noctua though you would need to switch out the center 140 for a 120mm fan. i almost forgot about that one. unless it won't interfere. only way is to try.

Last edited:

really?
im running mine at 1333 because i have 4gb of 1333 and 8 of 1600... what did you test to get such great incrase?

this is not true Spooony. you will see essentially zero performance increase doing this on SB.

It does on my MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) mobo. Look at how close it is to my sound card without the fans secured with the clips (the clips stick out a bit):

I'm not really sure what to do with it at this point, since I don't want metal touching my sound card and the only other option is to turn it 90 degrees and have all the hot air flowing directly at the card...

Just use some electrical tape on the fan clips and you should be fine man ;). Even if the clip does touch the sound card, it wont cause any damage with the electrical tape on there. Hope that helps!

For TIM I'm using Noctua NT-H1, from all the reviews I've seen this is pretty good stuff. I was thinking about getting a few of the Scythe Slipstream 110cfm fans =>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...m_re=scythe_slipstream-_-35-185-060-_-Product Newegg has a volume discount on these so I was thinking about getting like 3 of them. 2 for Push/pull on the NH-D14 and then 1 as an exhaust right behind the Cooler itself. From what I've read it wouldn't really make sense to use 3 on the NH-D14 itself since they wont make that much of a difference.... What do you guys think? Then I'm not sure what I'd do with the Noctua NF-P14 & NF-P12. Maybe replace some of the current fans in my case with those?

Slipstreams suck reliability wise ( I had 3 die on me in span of 6 months) and there is no way they push 110cfm in real life. I would look into Ultra Kazes or Panaflo High speed fans.

I know these aren't 120mm fans, but if you want some Delta fans for cheap you can use Dell fans - the ones that use 5-pin/4-wire fans are the high powered ones.

You can wire them up for 3-wire use and use them on a fan controller.

NEVER plug these puppies into a regular fan header as it will blow out the fan header because of how much current these suckers pull.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-XPS-600-GE...436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230f47030c

edit- a closeup of the fan can be seen in this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Delta-AFC9012DE...972?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56388b2aa4

12v 2.50A.

edit2: apparently they come in a 0.7A and a 2.50A version.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
[snip...tuck]

ah, I see :( Thank you for the pics. I do have backplates on both of my GTX570 cards, so.... I'm really hoping I clear all that. I'm going to try a fitting with my 212+ in the FT03, just to see how much clearance I really have.

I know these aren't 120mm fans, but if you want some Delta fans for cheap you can use Dell fans - the ones that use 5-pin/4-wire fans are the high powered ones.

You can wire them up for 3-wire use and use them on a fan controller.

NEVER plug these puppies into a regular fan header as it will blow out the fan header because of how much current these suckers pull.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-XPS-600-GE...436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230f47030c

edit- a closeup of the fan can be seen in this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Delta-AFC9012DE...972?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item56388b2aa4

12v 2.50A.

edit2: apparently they come in a 0.7A and a 2.50A version.
Actually i did plug the 5 wires Delta onto my 3 pin header.Nothing went wrong except the fact that it screamed at 5000rpm,giving me 220cfm and a hair dryer sound (the controlling wire was not connected).

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
this is not true Spooony. you will see essentially zero performance increase doing this on SB.

since when? Did Intel make their IMC disappear that I don't know about?
signature.img

GSkill
4096MB @ 1,079MHz
CL7.0 8-7-20

Sure it does make no difference

Actually, there is some performance increase - but that increase is even more minuscule than what has been achieved in older platforms because the busses on older platforms had to be increased to accommodate higher-speed RAM.

Back