upgrade

XBLiNKX

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a dfi lanparty and a 3200a64 on the way. Right now the only memory I have is 512mb corsair pc3200 v1.2 and a older stick of the same memory but its v1.1 and being used in a different computer. Should I try and find another stick of corsair pc3200 or just sell one of my sticks and get some type of new memory. I would like 1GB of memory.

Are you getting a socket 754 or socket 939 cpu/mobo? In other words, will you be running in single channel or dual channel mode? Socket 754 only supports single channel. Theoretically you should be able to add a second 512mb stick in either case as long as it's PC3200 or above, but if you're planning to use dual channel then IMHO you'd be better off getting a new matched set of memory sticks (2x512mb for instance) to make sure they work nicely together. Whatever you choose, make sure you at least match the same brand/type of memory i.e. Corsair XMS should not be mixed with any other brand or even with the Corsair value RAM.

Edit: Oh, sorry, yeah that DFI lanparty is socket 754 - single channel only. I'd say you could probably just add another 512mb stick of Corsair PC3200 to go with the one you already have. Should work fine. Anyone disagree?

Back