Upgrade XPPro versus native install

Maggot

n00b
I am *so* ready to build my next box, a Core 2 Duo (still limping along w my IS7/P4 3.0G at 3.3 GHz !)

But.

I am worried abt J Dvorak (and others) who have repeatedly said that Win XP systems "upgraded" to Vista will not be as stable as native installations. I am a flight simmer who is panting over DX 10, and though I won't buy a DX 10 graphics card until they're less than $350 or so, I know I will go Vista eventually -if only to support DX 10.
Would it be a sacrifice to build a WinXP/ DX 9 box now with plans to upgrade to Vista... ought I wait for cheaper DX 10 cards and then put a new Vista onto the Hybrid HDD SATA as is "my destiny" ???
Tnks! Maggs

I might be missing your question, but it's been a very long standing thought that it's better to do a fresh install, rather than an upgrade. I'm a little anal about my computer in terms of "cleanliness", so I wouldn't want even one file of old code on my machine. All in all, for best results, do a fresh install especially for how much different Vista will be than XP.

I'd go with XP32 right now, if you get a Core2Duo system. Then, keep an eye on Vista64, to see how driver and app support goes. I'm going to do that, and if Vista 64 seems to be okay, I'll be going to that in time. If the same compatibility issues arise, I'll stick with Vista 32.

Thanks so for your fast response DJ, but my mind goes slower than yours- you agree w Dvorak yet say "go w WXP 32b->64b right now". If I put that OS on my new build do I- um- still eventually do a "fresh install" of Vista rather than upgrading that XP? I've never -like- migrated to a different OS on a working rig... certainly never entertained the notion if its OS was upgradeable to the newer OS. What do you imagine my doing here? Migrating all data off the boot partition and then wiping it clean of XP before starting from scratch w Vista?

Sounds like a lot of work... sounds like a few hundred dollars more than an OS "upgrade" too! I gotta wonder if it's worth all that.

BTW- I'm serious abt those hybrid hard disks: I think they will be a serious enhancement.... they're predicting they'll be configured to write to buffer flash only by Vista.
Cheers,
docmaggs

Back