upgrade what I have or build new?

shmitty

Gawd
My system is in my sig, I only play wow on a pair of 1080p 24" monitors (game up on one itunes twitch etc up on the other). The game is really starting to drop frames on me I seen sub 30 @ times. I'd love to throw a 300$ video card at this situation but will I be bottlenecked by the rest of my PC?

I wouldnt put any more cash into it your current rig. Right now is a great time to upgrade. You can pick up a new amd rig at excellent prices right now and the performance boost will be huge. With the 3000 series just releasing all of the 1st and 2nd gen ryzen gear is filthy especially if you live near a microcenter. That same $300 will get you a new mb cpu and memory. I would go with a 3600 $199/ asrock b450m $25 with $50 off combo/ gskill ddr4 3200 2x8gb c16 $77 but they are all in store only@ microcenter.

Last edited:
Your CPU is poor, that whole generation is, just a CPU upgrade wont help.
I wouldnt get an Intel CPU yet, they are still selling chips with serious security issues.
That leaves AMDs latest or a recent one.

A newer gfx card would help.
If your PSU is ancient it would be wise to change that too.

Honestly seems a good time to pull the life support and upgrade. I have a 4th gen i5 that I can feel getting slow, i chucked my phenom ii x3 720 BE and x4 a while ago. Heck, I just replaced my son's 280x with an rx570 (more of a side grade for performance) and it runs games pretty good @ 1080p. He has an i5 6600k CPU, so not new, but keeps up really well. If you had a budget in mind, we could probably offer some suggestions but your current rig is probably not worth putting much more into. You *could* update the GPU first to see if it gets a little better and then upgrade the rest later but I think you'll run into both CPU and GPU bottlenecks.

Last edited:
wtf, the 6400K is AMD. I wondered why I hadnt heard of the Intel version.
This confusion shouldnt be permitted.

wtf, the 6400K is AMD. I wondered why I hadnt heard of the Intel version.
This confusion shouldnt be permitted.
I'm very sorry, I mis typed, I meant the 6600k i5, wasn't thinking straight! I will fix my original post so nobody else gets confused.

WoW is very CPU orientated so I would suggest upgrading with a new cpu, motherboard and ram.

Back