Upgrade to windows 10 pro

Dev747

n00b
My laptop has windows 8.1 single language. I want to upgrade to windows 10. I have following doubts:

1. Can I upgrade to windows 10 pro over windows 8.1 single language. I mean, this can be done by downloading windows 10 ISO from Microsoft website and selecting windows 10 version as 'windows 10 pro' in that download and installing it over the laptop. Will I get upgrade from windows 8.1 single language to windows 10 pro?

2. How to upgrade (not clean install) to windows 10 by downloading its ISO file ? I mean, can we simply run the ISO file on the machine to be upgraded or we have to boot the machine from that ISO file from a boot-able device like pen-drive / DVD ?

3. Also I'm trying to upgrade by Windows 10 Upgrade Assistant tool. But it is damn too slow. It proceeds almost at rate of 1% per an hour. My internet connection is not that slow. What could be the reason for this?

1) If what you have now is Windows 8.1 (aka Basic and not Windows 8.1 Professional) then you cannot upgrade to Windows 10 Professional unless you pay for that specific edition upgrade - what you have now will just be upgraded to Windows 10 (aka Home). If you have Windows 8.1 Pro (doesn't matter if it's single language or not) then yes it'll bump to Windows 10 Pro.

2) Your best solution - this is my personal opinion here so take it as such - is to back up your personal data and files and then clean install Windows 10 on that hardware - you won't need to input the Product Key for Windows 8.1 since it's embedded in the BIOS/UEFI of that machine and it'll be picked up as needed, it more than likely will not even prompt you for one during the installation.

3) Doing the actual in-place upgrade is just slow period because upgrades always are, even if you were doing it locally directly from the ISO files extracted to a folder on any storage it'll take some time. 1% per hour is even slower than I would expect so, if you're already in progress for the upgrade I suppose there's no point in stopping it then starting it over again with local source files.

My recommendation always has and always will be to clean install a new OS, I don't care what anyone ever says about it not even Microsoft itself - a clean install is always the best solution from my point of view unless you're in a situation where you have some kind of applications or data that can't be moved or can't be replaced or can never be "touched' basically which is a very rare situation. I say start fresh, with all your personal data backed up before you decide to do the clean install of the new(er) OS whichever one that is.

We just had a similar thread in some respects covering something similar so you might want to take a glance at it:

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 Home?

No it's not exactly the same but some of the information there in that other thread might come in handy, especially the links to Microsoft articles about upgrading issues with Windows 10 on various setups.

yea what he said...put the 10 iso on usb drive and clean install in NO time flat....like 2 minutes with usb3 or better flash drives. Windows 10 pretty fast download if needed

If you're going to do a clean install, the best source is from the Techbench for direct ISO downloads that don't require the middle step of downloading the ESD then converting it to an ISO then pushing that to a USB stick. Basically you can eliminate the conversion aspect and use Rufus or something else to push the ISO contents to a USB stick.

Back