Upgrade to Win 10 now?

Nicholars

Gawd
Is it worth upgrading my win7 64 to windows 10 NOW? Or should I wait until the retail release? Does the current Win 10 beta work 99.9% ok?

Using Win 10 here with no huge issues but the thing is you might very well be using software that i don't use and run into serious problems. Certainly don't use it to run a businesses where any downtime will cost you. Gaming seems to be fine with all the games i have recently tested BF4, CnC3, Cnc Generals, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Crysis 3.
Theres no guaranty what you use will work perfect so my advise is to at least keep an image backup before trying win10 just in case you run into problems. One thing i have had issue with is third party antivirus but i honestly haven't tried since the first version long ago...Not a deal breaker for me but figured i let you know before you try a paid version you own and end up crashing wondering what happened.

If you have a certain game or app you need tested i can see if i have it in origin or steam but i may not have it as well:)

For your main PC? No

There are still some quirks.

For example the most recent build 10074 has issues with the start menu and spartan for me. The latest updates fixed it but still.

Supposedly RTM is coming in july so just wait a little longer.

If hes like me he has no need for sparten lol.....what issue with start menu you having? No issues here

I'm not really sure what their licensing rules will end up as since they might change. Right now Win 10 is a free upgrade from Win 7/8, they also said they'll give a free copy to anyone who joins the Insider program and runs the current builds, but then said you'd need a previous license still.

Try it out in a vm or spare machine if you want. I'm running it on all my pc's and there are issues but I always like to stay on the bleeding edge.

I would not because several more builds are likely to be released. Upgrading to Windows 10 now would be mean multiple upgrades to a solid RTM.

Id wait til the retail release just to make sure all the bugs are worked out of it at least all the major ones.

Im going to watch it very careful. When it first started coming out it looked just like a Win8 clone to me and I figured Id be with Win7 for the next 10 years but the more and more that comes out it looks like Microsoft is really trying to address most of my main gripes at least. I still dont understand why it cant be a desktop OS only but the Start menu looks to be something I can live with and if they make it where you can disable Metro completely Ill probably be in for a copy.

I would not because several more builds are likely to be released. Upgrading to Windows 10 now would be mean multiple upgrades to a solid RTM.

While you are i believe 100% correct, I was still very much shocked just how well the upgrades have been going from version to version with what appears to be very eficent and problem free each time i do it. Trust me I was more surprised than anyway just how well the upgrades go even doing it multiple times. I run the disk clean a few days afterward to remove the .old windows and upgrades files and its almost a clean install. :)

Of course i plan to do a clean install after rtm gets release weather its needed or not and anybody should plan to do the same.

it where you can disable Metro completely Ill probably be in for a copy.

I think it super unlikely that will happen any time soon mainly because they really much want to push the "windows store" more than ever. I think it kills them knowing how much google and apple make off there stores and there doing what they believe will help push its popularity. I agree the metro doesn't help when there's nothing worth buying but there going to try anyway:D

Id wait til the retail release just to make sure all the bugs are worked out of it at least all the major ones.

Im going to watch it very careful. When it first started coming out it looked just like a Win8 clone to me and I figured Id be with Win7 for the next 10 years but the more and more that comes out it looks like Microsoft is really trying to address most of my main gripes at least. I still dont understand why it cant be a desktop OS only but the Start menu looks to be something I can live with and if they make it where you can disable Metro completely Ill probably be in for a copy.

If you play games, I don't think you will have much choice but to get win 10 as I think DX12 is win 10 only? I was initially annoyed when they said that, but then they announced win 10 will be free.

Wait, can you go from the beta to retail via upgrade? Wouldn't you need to format now to go to beta 10 then format to go to retail 10? Seems silly, unless I'm uninformed..

nope. ive used win10 extensively on main rig, im fine personally with fighting through the issues, but there are a lot of quirks. I'd hold off.

When you upgrade to Windows 10 on the full RTM release. Just make an image backup using Acrons (or similar). If you ever need to re-install for any reason. It will already have Windows 10. So need to go through the upgrade process.

Thats what I'm doing.

It's mostly functional, but quirky. I installed it last week and ended up going back to 8.1 via an image. It's about 90% good to go, but that extra 10% can be maddening at times. Gaming performance isn't bad, but it isn't perfect either.
You might make and image of your current setup and then install it for the hell of it. That way you have a basic idea of how it works come launch day. Who knows - maybe you'll dig it now and stick it out.

If you play games, I don't think you will have much choice but to get win 10 as I think DX12 is win 10 only? I was initially annoyed when they said that, but then they announced win 10 will be free.

Thats pretty much all I do with my rig so I guess I don't have a choice. Oh well like I said, it does look like MS is making an effort to make 10 more like 7 and if they can get close then I guess I can deal with the little gripes.

You could always dual boot until RTM. That is what I am doing.

I use 10 99.9% of the time now. I only go back into 8.1 when I need to run a program I haven't installed in 10.

If I install the win 10 beta now (I just got a new SSD so could install on that and keep win 7 on other SSD)... Will I be able to update it to the retail version? Or will I have to format and install the retail one again?

If I can update to the retail version from the beta I may as well install win 10 on my new SSD, if I will have to remove the beta and reinstall the retail version I think I will wait.

If I install the win 10 beta now (I just got a new SSD so could install on that and keep win 7 on other SSD)... Will I be able to update it to the retail version? Or will I have to format and install the retail one again?

If I can update to the retail version from the beta I may as well install win 10 on my new SSD, if I will have to remove the beta and reinstall the retail version I think I will wait.

Honestly what difference it makes? Takes all of 5 min to do a clean install...make a backup of your steam/origin games and it takes maybe an hour grand total getting it perfect;)

Back