Upgrade to more power and less noise

TheForumTroll

Weaksauce
EDIT: Going to grab a Gigabyte GTX 770 with a Windforce X3.

Hello experts :)

So I'm thinking about upgrading my GPU and last I asked I was told to wait. Well it has been a while now. Mostly it's to get my PC to shut up now that it has become nice and quiet otherwise, but more power is always nice and I'm beginning to have a bit too low frames in new games. Currently I have an old Gainward GTX 460 "Golden Sample - Goes Like Hell".

I was thinking something around $400-500 maybe? Less is okay too if it fits with my system specs better..

If anyone wants to be even more specific than a GPU model, since prices aren't the same everywhere, this is the site I shop at (it is in danish, but specs should be understandable. $400-500 equals roughly 2100-2700 DKR).

Usage:
Gaming in Windows 7 (from indie games to ArmA3) and programming etc. in Linux.

Last edited:
Btw. my Sabertooth P67 motherboard only have PCIe 2.0 x16. No idea what the newest cards use these days (PCIe 3?), but in my price range it should be more than enough, no? :)

I also just remembered: The GTX 460 is a real tight fit. It cannot be any higher at all or it wont fit beneath the PSU..

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat going from a gtx275.

I have decided on this card:
ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II OC 2GB

Quiet, will play all games, good price.

Not sure if it will fit in your rig though or compatible with your mobo..

The height. I just had a thought. The current card leaves just enough room for pcie pins/cables and it is the same height as the bracket on it. That should make it a lot easier :)

Oh and "nyhed" means "New" or "Just added".

ya that one I linked is under the price you listed and should be a much easier fit for you.

Quite a lot more powerful as well.

It isn't more expensive because of the small size? The length is no problem (there's 40cm of room in length in the case). And is it silent?

I'm sorry if I'm a bit slow here, but wouldn't a three slot card be less noisy than a two or one slot? With the bigger cooler?

one slot cards are nearly impossible to find these days, but yes they tend to be loud.

difference is negligible between 2 and 3 slot coolers on full sized cards.

they are both massive upgrades, but if a 770 is in your budget that's the way I would go.

I am pretty sure they use the same coolers on 760s and 770s so the sound level shouldn't matter.

In my opinion, if you were going to get a 770 i would just find an evga 680 classified or FTW+. It's going to be cheaper than a 770 classified or high end version and be the exact same thing. The only difference (and please correct me if I'm wrong) that I can see is that they bumped the voltage and increased the clocks. I own 2 EVGA 680 FTW+ cards that I flashed the bios to have a 1.212 voltage, 150% power target with a 1250 core and 7200 memory.

Granted, you won't have the new ACX cooler but I've loved the blower style coolers on mine.

Get a high end 680, flash it and make your own 770!

The 680s look to be ridiculously priced on that site.

Definitely don't buy them new... You can pick one up off of here or eBay. The last ftw+ on here sold for $330. Much cheaper than even a reference 770 and just as fast when bios modded.

Back