Upgrade to ESX 5.5 - SATA3 disks not present?

MrReplay

n00b
Hi guys,

I moved to ESX 5.5 a few days ago after using 5.0 for nearly 2 years with no problems. Since upgrading (clean install) my SSD's connected to SATA3 ports aren't seen in the vSphere client - I also tried to 'add storage' but no joy :(

My spec is:

i7-2600
Fatal1ty Z68 Professional Gen3 motherboard
32GB Ripjaws

Various SSDs:

128GB Samsung
128GB OCZ Vertex
60GB Corsair
etc

Any help appreciated, this is driving me nuts :(

Is your adapter found when you hit the host > config > storage adapters ?
Or
Are other drives on the controller okay but the SSDs are not?

ESXi 5.5 removed a bunch of "desktop" type drivers so you may need to hit the googles for a driver.

Nick

Ran into same issue on my upgrade. I have an ASrock Z77 Extreme 4 and my board has 4 sata 3 connectors.
2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Intel Z77
2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by ASMedia ASM1061 SATA3_A1 port and SATA3A0)

I had one ssd connected to intel port and one to asmedia port. it was working fine on esxi 5.1u1 when i booted of usb 5.5 installer it would only see intel port. I had to rewire my second ssd to intel port which is labled sata0 and sata1 and both are seen by esxi 5.5. So it does look like vmware removed bunch of controllers from the build.

just pulled specs of your board and it looks like you have same issue.

- 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by Intel® Z68, support RAID (RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 10, RAID 5, Intel® Rapid Storage and Intel® Smart Response Technology), NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions
- 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions (SATA3_A4 connector is shared with eSATA3 port)

Your 2 intel sata ports should work fine but for ASMedia ports you will need to track down the drivers

- 4 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug functions (SATA3_A4 connector is shared with eSATA3 port)

Your 2 intel sata ports should work fine but for ASMedia ports you will need to track down the drivers

Thanks for this, like you say the 2 Intel ports are working :D

Any idea where I can get drivers for the ASMedia ports? I did a quick Google but couldn't find anything...?

haven't found anything yet. although i haven't really searched for it. only have 2 ssds in the box now so for now i'm ok

Hi kalex1114,

can you please post the PCI ID of the asmedia controller?
Please run "lspci -v" in an ESXi shell and paste the output here.
I can then look at what ESXi 5.1 driver we would need in ESXi 5.5 to make it work.

Thanks
Andreas

Hi kalex1114,

can you please post the PCI ID of the asmedia controller?
Please run "lspci -v" in an ESXi shell and paste the output here.
I can then look at what ESXi 5.1 driver we would need in ESXi 5.5 to make it work.

Thanks
Andreas

This should be it

0000:02:00.0 SATA controller Mass storage controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller
Class 0106: 1b21:0612

0000:04:00.0 PCI bridge Bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge
Class 0604: 1b21:1080

0000:06:00.0 USB controller Serial bus controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller
Class 0c03: 1b21:1042

Thanks

Alex

I'm confused ...

I cannot find these PCI IDs in the mapping files of ESXi 5.1. Are you sure that this controller worked with ESXi 5.1 before? Or were you just passing it through to a VM?

If it worked before then I guess it used the generic ahci driver. But this can of course only work if the controller is running in AHCI mode. Is it?

Can you re-install the host with ESXi 5.1 and check what driver is used for the ASMedia controller then. Check with
esxcli storage core adapter list

Or can anyone else with a working ASMedia controller check that?

Thanks
Andreas

Yep controller worked fine in esxi 5.1 I had one ssd connected to it. During esxi 5.5 installation, installer couldn't find the ssd attached to asmedia contoller. After i moved that ssd to intel one installer picked it up. Not sure if i used AHCI driver or not. Have to check in the bios.

I only have one esxi host currently so I can't reinstall 5.1 on it yet. I can do it once I'll build out another host which I'm currently in process of getting parts for.

Easiest way to fix that I think is install ESX 5.1, then upgrade to 5.5 as opposed to fresh install. 5.5 is missing some drivers.

I hope this thread is still alive. I'm having the same issue - but I opted to upgrade to a cheap SATA PCIe card to add a couple of small 60GB SSDs to my existing config. It's a DL380G6, so it's well supported. I was really hoping for some plug and play love from VMware. My lspci -v looks like this:

0000:0a:00.0 SATA controller Mass storage controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller
Class 0106: 1b21:0612

I even managed to add the device ID to the sata_ahc.v00 bootbank as suggested by some other users. Still no joy. It was a cheap $35 card for two little SSDs, so I'm not crushed if I can't use it - I should have gone for the proper LSI or HP410i expansion card and bay, but was too impatient.

If anyone has had any luck getting my cheapo Startech SATA PCIe card to work on their ESXi 5.5 I'd love to know how. I've been pretty hardcore on the HP Proliant servers and all the enterprise hardware - 3 x 14bay 500GB FC HDD, etc. This was just to try and give the vsan a whirl or help out IOPs on my View 5.2 PoC.

Glad a stumbled across this forum. I'm hoping to take some time and read more and see if there is anything I can contribute on.

Cheers!

Poor show on VMware's side, I was going to upgrade my home lab to 5.5 but with these problems and the HW V10 "issue" I'm staying put for now until I can test it and make sure there are drivers to support my builds.

VMware doesnt make drivers for consumer grade chipsets nor do they make drivers for consumer grade SATA controllers..

Just because it worked on 5.0 or 5.1 doesn't imply it will carry over in the future thats why they have an HCL.

If you don't buy items on the HCL don't expect upgrades to work!

VMware doesnt make drivers for consumer grade chipsets nor do they make drivers for consumer grade SATA controllers..

Just because it worked on 5.0 or 5.1 doesn't imply it will carry over in the future thats why they have an HCL.

If you don't buy items on the HCL don't expect upgrades to work!
Don't be a dick about it. There are loads of people who build whitebox labs using off the shelf components. As for 'consumer grade' chipsets, there are very few distinctions aside from a couple of different resistors and a some different firmware here and there. I encourage you to look at the evolving computer hardware market - such as nVidia, who use the same GPUs on the majority of their cards. Take a 680 and make it into a full K2 grid shared GPU card by simply moving a resistor or adding a different variante to change the ID of the card. Pull a board out of your HCL hardware and see how many of the components are on other products. HCL is a list of tested, and supported hardware. Can't test it all, can support it all - that's why forums like this exist. To find ways to make things work, or find ways to work around issues. If you don't want to be helpful, don't post.

As for consumer grade SATA stuff, well HP doesn't seem to mind if you slip a SATA drive into a SAS drive bay... Hmm.

As for the drivers missing in ESXi 5.5 - it's not a HW10 issue. That's the virt. hardware level and has nothing to do with the ESXi hypervisor level recognition of hardware installed in a host. I get keeping the hypervisor install small. It still fits on a 1GB USB stick - and that in of itself is impressive compared to what ESX 4 was just a few years back.

You can continue to buy from the HCL list - it's what it's there for. Just don't belittle those who build labs to learn, or develop on a budget. I wouldn't be where I was today if it wasn't for the 60 day free license installs, the demo versions of this product and that product.

Okay. Done my rant. If you can help - help. If you can't, don't - and you don't need to tell anyone of us why. Keep it to yourself.

May i ask what method you used to upgrade?

via usb key. just booted my host from usb and choose upgrade once it booted up. First time i booted it, it wouldn't detect one of my ssds so I rewired it to good sata ports and it showed up on second boot.

Don't be a dick about it. There are loads of people who build whitebox labs using off the shelf components. As for 'consumer grade' chipsets, there are very few distinctions aside from a couple of different resistors and a some different firmware here and there. I encourage you to look at the evolving computer hardware market - such as nVidia, who use the same GPUs on the majority of their cards. Take a 680 and make it into a full K2 grid shared GPU card by simply moving a resistor or adding a different variante to change the ID of the card. Pull a board out of your HCL hardware and see how many of the components are on other products. HCL is a list of tested, and supported hardware. Can't test it all, can support it all - that's why forums like this exist. To find ways to make things work, or find ways to work around issues. If you don't want to be helpful, don't post.

As for consumer grade SATA stuff, well HP doesn't seem to mind if you slip a SATA drive into a SAS drive bay... Hmm.

As for the drivers missing in ESXi 5.5 - it's not a HW10 issue. That's the virt. hardware level and has nothing to do with the ESXi hypervisor level recognition of hardware installed in a host. I get keeping the hypervisor install small. It still fits on a 1GB USB stick - and that in of itself is impressive compared to what ESX 4 was just a few years back.

You can continue to buy from the HCL list - it's what it's there for. Just don't belittle those who build labs to learn, or develop on a budget. I wouldn't be where I was today if it wasn't for the 60 day free license installs, the demo versions of this product and that product.

Okay. Done my rant. If you can help - help. If you can't, don't - and you don't need to tell anyone of us why. Keep it to yourself.

You have been active on this forum for what 5 days... Whoop Dee Doo i have been here 11+ years... dont talk to me about how forums work till you put in the time!

i was referring my comment to the following comment where using consumer grade products and complaining about how its VMware's fault...

"Poor show on VMware's side, I was going to upgrade my home lab to 5.5 but with these problems and the HW V10 "issue" I'm staying put for now until I can test it and make sure there are drivers to support my builds."

Also a side note i actually worked for VMware's Tech support side and it urks me off to no end people that complain about a company who deals with ENTERPRISE Technology. Yes there are whiteboxes but at that understanding you take a risk building a whitebox knowing it may not work with the next revision of the software. Thats a Risk You Take!

In The End, You Get what you Pay For!

I Help out many [H] Followers but i will only help those that understand that the issue isnt VMware's Fault when its a whitebox or consumer grade goods that are causing the issue

Last edited:
You have been active on this forum for what 5 days... Whoop Dee Doo i have been here 11+ years... dont talk to me about how forums work till you put in the time!
Wow, dude... Just... Wow. A person can join a forum, make a single useful post, and never again post. Another person can join a forum, post a hundred times a day for a dozen years, and not say a single thing of value. Personally, I'd rather have the first person in my forum.

That being said, I understand where you're coming from with the HCL vs. Whitebox bit. HCL parts are guaranteed to work. Whitebox parts aren't. However, this isn't the VMWare forums. This is [H]. Folks here aren't about spending big bucks to get a guaranteed part. They're about paying less, getting more, and making it work.

I will admit i was being harsh at that point, i just don't take kindly to being called a dick especially when i have helped out these forums a-lot. I took it more personally than i should have and for that i am sorry for my comment.. we all make mistakes.

From what i have read all over outlook on this SATA3 Controller is not good... and even if you could get the driver into the system from like a 5.1 driver i would be more concerned if it could cause system crashes due to the difference. To me theres a reason it was stripped out for what reason i don't know.

There is a lot of risk of adding drivers that aren't supported/native and getting an LSI-1068E card (SATA-2) [Avg price is like 30-35$] IT Firmware Flashing would put you in a better spot (IMO) Storage is a big foundation of the product and thats what i would use..

I assume you followed this articles attempts to get drivers in but if you look at later posts most ppl have pointed out the ASM controllers still didnt take..
http://www.v-front.de/2013/09/how-to-add-missing-esxi-50-drivers-to.html

It would be easier to get a side-by-side up and see how the os pulled from the native driver to mimic how the new needs to work.

Back