Upgrade to AM2 or just get a bigger 939?

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by laptop, Jan 20, 2007.

  1. laptop

    laptop Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    249
    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2002
    I have a 3000+ oc'd to 2.4 on an asrock dual sata-2.
    Should I get the AM2 board, sell my ram/cpu and move to AM2 and DDR2?
    Or should I just get a faster 939 for now?
     
  2. taylorwilsdon

    taylorwilsdon 2[H]4U

    Messages:
    2,286
    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2006
    Since you've already got matching hardware for 939 (ram, heatsink ect) I'd say just move to an opteron or high end x2 processor.
     
  3. stealthy123

    stealthy123 2[H]4U

    Messages:
    3,149
    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2005
    just move up to a decent opteron. there is very little reason right now to go AM2 may never be a reason to go AM2 frankly.
     
  4. laptop

    laptop Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    249
    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2002
    What size on a $150 budget?
     
  5. foofighter06

    foofighter06 Gawd

    Messages:
    851
    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2003
  6. tazzmissionx

    tazzmissionx Gawd

    Messages:
    908
    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2005
    Opty 165 is the way to go.
     
  7. Jayemji

    Jayemji Limp Gawd

    Messages:
    136
    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2006
    Agreed, it's just your price range and generally an excellent OCer. You won't need to change and hardware out, though you may want to update/reformat your OS instal. (Single core->dual core upgrades tend to be like that.)
     
  8. Adidas4275

    Adidas4275 [H]ardness Supreme

    Messages:
    5,970
    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2006
    i would get an opteron 170 for the board you have it would be a nice fit.. 10x vs 9x
     
  9. Tbird87

    Tbird87 Gawd

    Messages:
    922
    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2003
    I slapped my dual core opty in and it just came up with a lil window saying it recognized that I have dual core and worked perfect without messing with the OS. Though it wouldn't surprise me if it did require that in certain cases.
     
  10. MC FLMJIG

    MC FLMJIG [H]ardness Supreme

    Messages:
    4,505
    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    what are you planning on doing anyway.

    Depending on what it is i would just wait for a new build. Intel or wait till AM3 or better yet Intel.