Upgrade to Alienware 27" 240hz or buy another Dell 2716dgr?

Mosie100

Limp Gawd
Need another monitor for when I'm gaming at my girlfriend's place to use with my razer blade 2019 advanced (2070 gpu, i7 9700h 32gb ram).
Tired of looking at that 15" screen when I'm gaming over there.

Currently gaming with a Dell 2716DGR 27" 1440P 144 hz - https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2716dgr-s2716dg
Was thinking maybe I should just buy another one of those -- saw some open box deals on eBay for only $300.

OR

Should I upgrade my current monitor for PC at home (rtx 3080, i7 9700k, 32gb ram... all specs in sig) to the Alienware 27" 1440P 240 hz - https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw2721d
Then I could just use my dell monitor at my gf's place....
Reason is they have this killer deal on Amazon right now for $770.

They also have this monitor renewed for $730 -
But I've always been told not to buy them renewed....

So what do I go with? Another Dell 2716DGR or the Alienware 27" deal brand new for $770 or renewed for $730?

Thanks for all advice and suggestions. Much appreciated!!! :D :D :) :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
These are difficult choices.

Is the goal higher refresh rate, 1440p, 4k or just the fastest Gsync for Professional FPS?

Well -- I feel like my 3080 can handle a higher refresh rate - especially with games like apex. So that Alienware monitor is enticing.
There really is a big difference from 144 to 240 hz.
The question is whether it's worth it to go for that or if I should just save that $400 and get another dell monitor for my laptop...

I'm thinking I'm just gonna roll the dice on this Amazon renewed Alienware AW2721D Monitor for $730. If it sucks I'm just gonna return it lol

Supposed to come in Friday -- I'll let you all know how it is!
In the meantime, if any of you have any thoughts let me know! :D

Cancelled this order LOL.

Last edited:
i dont see the point in going above 144(with your hardware) and i would also expect a much bigger discount on a refurb'd unit.

i dont see the point in going above 144(with your hardware) and i would also expect a much bigger discount on a refurb'd unit.
Thanks! I just cancelled the order -- have been bouncing back and forth.. I'm very indecisive on this.
I think the refurb isn't that cheaper because the brand new one is on a mega sale (normally $1k plus on dell website or $900 on Amazon)...
You think my 3080 wouldn't be able to handle 240 hz at 1440p?

So you're basically suggesting I go with another dell?

Last edited:
Outside of older or e-sports titles, no, it can't. Nothing really can.

Though it depends on how you look at it. Going 240Hz/1440p gives you a larger G-Sync window. So, going above 144Hz means you're still in G-Sync.

^^that.
Thanks! I just cancelled the order -- have been bouncing back and forth.. I'm very indecisive on this.
I think the refurb isn't that cheaper because the brand new one is on a mega sale (normally $1k plus on dell website or $900 on Amazon)...

So you're basically suggesting I go with the another dell?

Outside of older or e-sports titles, no, it can't. Nothing really can.

Though it depends on how you look at it. Going 240Hz/1440p gives you a larger G-Sync window. So, going above 144Hz means you're still in G-Sync.
Mostly playing Overwatch, apex, black ops and I max out at 144hz 1440p and then I play the big aaa games (assassins creed, cyberpunk) and those hover around 80-100 fps at 1440p maxed out.

I was thinking with this Alienware monitor I could get closer to 240 for apex and others... I’m starting to think I should just buy it and try it out... lol there goes my cancellation hahaha.

do you really think it’ll be a waste?

capture.png

Ayyyyyyyy

Personally I'd probably get something else, but IMHO you made the right choice between those two. The big thing I have against the Dell is it's a TN screen, while the Alienware is IPS. I'm not a fan of TN panels. IPS and VA have better viewing angles, color reproduction, etc.

Personally I'd probably get something else, but IMHO you made the right choice between those two. The big thing I have against the Dell is it's a TN screen, while the Alienware is IPS. I'm not a fan of TN panels. IPS and VA have better viewing angles, color reproduction, etc.

No idea on any specific model. I haven't been looking lately. Good chance it wouldn't be what you'd want. I'm not real into fast paced games and am more of an RPG and strategy fan. I go for big and pretty over fast. Ultrawide, 4k, etc. and definitely not TN.

For me I love my 55 LG GX

Have you considered maybe 21x9? It could be worth trying a 32-37".

Anyone do fps comp? I love the the good 4k vibe so I may not be the right one to ask.

I do feel spending and investing in a Monitor pays itself in dividends and TN to. Me feels "old"

Nothing compares to a good OLED black

For me I love my 55 LG GX

Have you considered maybe 21x9? It could be worth trying a 32-37".

Anyone do fps comp? I love the the good 4k vibe so I may not be the right one to ask.

I do feel spending and investing in a Monitor pays itself in dividends and TN to. Me feels "old"

Nothing compares to a good OLED black
That's sweet -55 LG I bet looks really nice. But that's not for me. I'm trying to stick to a monitor on my stand over here going to be sitting close to for play and for work.
I'll have this Alienware on Friday -- will be testing it out ASAP and bring back the results here :)

Monitor came in Friday. Looks amazing. Love the customization abilities. Zero backlight bleed. Looks like I got a gem.
Running 240hz on high/ultra settings in apex 1440p. Overwatch running 240hz and black ops still stupid demanding - around 144hz though. Monitor is a really nice upgrade.
Thanks for all of your input - if anyone has some tests they suggest I run or are interested in let me know!

Monitor came in Friday. Looks amazing. Love the customization abilities. Zero backlight bleed. Looks like I got a gem.
Running 240hz on high/ultra settings in apex 1440p. Overwatch running 240hz and black ops still stupid demanding - around 144hz though. Monitor is a really nice upgrade.
Thanks for all of your input - if anyone has some tests they suggest I run or are interested in let me know!

Nice monitor. So i saw this one is 700 bucks or so. They also have a cheaper model for 300 and some change. I only scanned the pages quickly. What's the main difference?

Nice monitor. So i saw this one is 700 bucks or so. They also have a cheaper model for 300 and some change. I only scanned the pages quickly. What's the main difference?
Good question -- I haven't looked at the cheaper model.. But I imagine the differences may be in the size, panel, refresh rate, resolution, etc...

Back