Upgrade to a new Monitor and GPU. Need Thoughts.

Sedriss

Limp Gawd
Hey guys and gals. Need some input on what to do. I currently have a Dell 2408WFP as my main monitor. It still runs good. No issues at all. But I have been thinking about upgrading to 2k. I would like to try and hit some Ultra settings at that resolution in the games I play. Currently I play a lot of Rainbow Six Siege, D3, BF4, some CoD. My GTX 780 runs good, but I figure for the high resolution it will have some issues.

My current thought is to upgrade to a GTX 980ti. Figure that would be a good replacement for the 780. Was thinking about Pascal... but I was hoping to upgrade now not fall or next year. Thing is, I'm not sure which monitor to go with. Was hoping for some suggestions from you guys on what I should look for. Was hoping to stick around the $500-600 price range for the monitor. Thank you.

Last edited:
S2716DG or PG278Q. the PG278Q has much better factory calibration, a better OSD, and one of if not the best status LEDs ever, but it still hasn't dropped in price in line with the Dell. the Dell also has an HDMI port.

How much of a difference is there between HDMI and DP? Ive used HDMI before on a lot of things but never messed with DP. Quality the same?

Yep DP and HDMI will be exactly the same quality. However, DP is capable of higher bandwidth than HDMI. To hit 1440p 144hz with HDMI you will probably need a "high speed" HDMI cable.

There isn't really a reason to use HDMI instead of DP on a computer though, and most of those 144hz monitors will have a DP cable included. Also if you are looking at Gsync/Freesync monitors right now those only work with DP.

The one advantage of having an HDMI port on a computer monitor is if you are going to plug a console or blu-ray player into it, because those will virtually always use HDMI not DP.

Anything less than hdmi v2.0 will not provide sufficient bandwidth to run 1080p too far above 60Hz. Any monitor that includes hdmi 1.4 places limits on refresh rate support whereas there is no such restriction with DP.

That is even before you deal with nVidia Hdmi display output problems where some people find their gfx card outputting limited range TV style output to the display.

My recommendation is the LG 27MB85R-B. It meets your price point (generally around $550, occasional dips to $450). It's IPS, 1440p, 60hz, and arguably the best picture quality that you can get in this segment. It lacks higher refresh rates and support for either GSYNC or FreeSync.

If you decide to go for a GSYNC monitor, there have been and there will be more solid recommendations, but that's outside my realm of "expertise." Best of luck, and enjoy your purchase, whatever you get :)

Been looking at both the Dell and the Asus. Do they both use the same panel? Seems like the Asus model is having some quality control issues. But the Dell isn't? I do like the fact though that the Dell one is cheaper. But I have heard that Dell's quality itself is not what it used to be back in the day.

Another question I have and it might be stupid one. I'm currently gaming on a 60hz monitor obviously.... Lets say I do pick up a 1440p monitor, 980ti, and can't run my games at 120 or 144hz with high/ultra settings and have to drop the monitor back down to 60hz. Will the games look/run better then I am currently at now besides the difference in res? Ideally from my understanding is that 120/144 is good for FPS games, which I currently play a decent amount of. I just figured that it wouldn't make sense to buy a 24 inch 1080p monitor with 120/144 hz and put that cash to a better monitor.

Just was talking to a friend of mine who feels there is no point to having a 120/144hz monitor for gaming. That for fps's he feels its all based on your ISP then anything else.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why so many people have jumped the "gee you better get 980ti SLI if you want to play at 1440p 144hz" bandwagon - not hitting full hz or a divisor of it is literally what adaptive sync tech handles.

Also Id take 1440p medium settings over 1080p ultra any day, especially with adaptive sync. If you get a 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor, hold off with buying a new graphics card until you have given the gtx 780 a go on it.

I'm not sure why so many people have jumped the "gee you better get 980ti SLI if you want to play at 1440p 144hz" bandwagon - not hitting full hz or a divisor of it is literally what adaptive sync tech handles.

Also Id take 1440p medium settings over 1080p ultra any day, especially with adaptive sync. If you get a 1440p 144hz Gsync monitor, hold off with buying a new graphics card until you have given the gtx 780 a go on it.

yeah, you dont have to be pegged at 120-144 all the time. gsync or adaptative vsync take care of that (gsync being a superior technology)

Back