Upgrade to a Gig of ram?

Bennyb

2[H]4U
I just got my new Powerbook a week ago and I am loving every minute of it. The only thing i've noticed is that with several apps open it tends to lag quite a bit. Should I upgrade from the standard 512 to a Gig of ram?

on this note....

it all depends on what your doing dude

ive had a powerbook for a year with 512 and it has never really bothered me

if you have the extra cash and want to shell out for it I dont see a reason not to do it.

You have two sticks of 256mb in the powerbook if its the stock one. 256mb is soldered onboard and 256mb is in a stick seperatly.

If you get a 1gb stick you are supposed to be able to see the difference, I've just ordered a gb stick for mine , it should be here the day after tommorow I will let you know what its like if you wish.

gordy_hand said:
You have two sticks of 256mb in the powerbook if its the stock one. 256mb is soldered onboard and 256mb is in a stick seperatly.

If you get a 1gb stick you are supposed to be able to see the difference, I've just ordered a gb stick for mine , it should be here the day after tommorow I will let you know what its like if you wish.

The iBooks and 12" Powerbook share that ram configuration. The 15" and 17" PB's have two slots.

From tech specs for 15/17 PB
"512MB PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM, single SO-DIMM"

Yeah, I've checked the specs, it has 1 512 stick and 1 empty slot. How hard is it to install the ram? Or is that something you need to get apple to do? I know on an ibook it is really easy... is it the same on a powerbook?

Very very easy, on the bottom are four screws holding in a metal plate, under the plate is the ram slots.

Depending on what you're doing you could see a huge performance increase.. such as playing WoW, running media creation apps (photoshop, illustrator, maya, etc), having a lot of larger apps open.. etc.

For me it was very worthwhile (I have 1.25GB of ram in my 15" powerbook) and it felt much slower before the ram, I'd get a lot of disk caching.

CSx-2011 said:
The iBooks and 12" Powerbook share that ram configuration. The 15" and 17" PB's have two slots.

From tech specs for 15/17 PB
"512MB PC2700 (333MHz) DDR SDRAM, single SO-DIMM"

oops sorry thought he had the 12in :)

Gordy, let me know how the memory upgrade goes...I'm really tempted to plop down some bucks to get up to 1 GIG.

I upgraded my Dell 9300 to 2 gigs from Crucial, I was gonna slap a 1 gig chip in my powerbook until I saw the price for the 1 gig chip was about the same for the 2 gigs of DDR-2 :eek:

T-Bird 151 said:
Gordy, let me know how the memory upgrade goes...I'm really tempted to plop down some bucks to get up to 1 GIG.

Will do should be here tommorow morning .

Installed the ram earlier taking me to 1.25gb and it seems much quicker loading everything etc and didnt worry when I asked it to load a whole heap of apps etc.

I've not tried picture editing etc yet but it seems like it was well worth it.

I went for standard sodimm ram from crucial not the mac specific stuff as it was far cheaper £130 compared to £90 and I'm glad I did.

Everything I've heard about OS X says that it can generally always benefit from more RAM. I'd say go for it.

(I am not a mac owner.)

Back