upgrade to 570 sli, new power supply?

loxety

Limp Gawd
Trying to plan out an upgrade from my current system in my sig gtx260 sli to 570 sli. Will I need to get different power supply? I currently fold 24x7 on both video cards and all 4 cores of the cpu with out any issues. Been trying to figure out if the 570s would use the same power as the old 260's or more. Help!

That 650 you have is a good PSU, but it's not going to be enough if you are going 570 SLI and run them fully loaded folding with the cpu fully loaded folding. Once you OC and OV the gpu's they'll be pulling 275/300w each no probs. I'd get a 850w. The Corsair AX850 is a good PSU or you can save a bit of cash and grab the HX850.

I would take this time to look at upgrading to an 850w PSU. Corsair AX or HX series are excellent.

Thank you all for replying.. guess its time to upgrade to 850w or better power supply.

Finally got the money together to get those two GTX570's and thay seem to run fine with my current 650watt power supply.. been gaming and running f@H with no problems :p

Finally got the money together to get those two GTX570's and thay seem to run fine with my current 650watt power supply.. been gaming and running f@H with no problems :p

But for how long, hmm?

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-sli-review/13

This review at guru says that full stressed sli 570's will pull in the neighborhood of 600 watts by themselves...... I would recommend that if you are full loading the system at a minimum for future expansion a 750 watt power supply. If you plan to overclock I would go with and 850 watt minimum

That 578w rating is for the FULL SYSTEM
1. System in IDLE = 218W
2. System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 578W
3. Difference (GPU load) = 360W
4. Add average IDLE wattage ~ 50W
5. Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 410 Watts

The graphics cards are only drawing 410w on their own. This guys PSU is fine.
These reviewers just need to spell it out in english sometimes, because I don't know how many forums I've been on where some guy looks at the biggest number and starts yelling "OH MY GOD I NEED 10,000W!!!!!!! for JUST MY GRAPHICS CARDS!!!!!!"

Back