Upgrade to 3090 ti or wait for 4090?

I know how much people like to play the "Crypto Devil" card, but a 3090 hasn't done $7/day after paying for electricity in months.
Yes thus being a unknown variable with a If, it is what around $5 those days, this winter the proportion of not minding paying electricty to get eating proportion get larger, if it stay that high, it should help maintain non LHR cards values.

3090Ti is a pointless card to buy this late in the cycle when the 4000 series is on the horizon. I'm willing to bet the 4080 will beat the 3090TI in performance considering there's already a small gap between the 3080, 3080TI & 3090 as it is. I'd just get a 3080Ti and pocket the difference. The 3090Ti will plummet in value when the 4000 series is released since 3090Ti is grossly overpriced. A 3090Ti is certainly not worth $700-800 more than a 3080Ti.

3090Ti is a pointless card to buy this late in the cycle when the 4000 series is on the horizon. I'm willing to bet the 4080 will beat the 3090TI in performance considering there's already a small gap between the 3080, 3080TI & 3090 as it is. I'd just get a 3080Ti and pocket the difference. The 3090Ti will plummet in value when the 4000 series is released since 3090Ti is grossly overpriced. A 3090Ti is certainly not worth $700-800 more than a 3080Ti.
Well if rumors are somewhat accurate it will beat it by a hefty margin.

Yes thus being a unknown variable with a If, it is what around $5 those days, this winter the proportion of not minding paying electricty to get eating proportion get larger, if it stay that high, it should help maintain non LHR cards values.

Why? LHR should be irrelevant by then because ETH will be POS instead of POW by then. There's no difference between what a LHR card mines <insert random shitcoin algo here> vs. a FHR card.

Why? LHR should be irrelevant by then because ETH will be POS instead of POW by then. There's no difference between what a LHR card mines <insert random shitcoin algo here> vs. a FHR card.
wasn't the case for the 2080TI value back in the days has well ?
https://www.techradar.com/news/ethereum-20-goes-live-next-month-heres-why-thats-a-huge-deal
By Joel Khalili last updated November 13, 2020

ETH 2.0 from a complete outsider point of view have been right out of the corner many times over the years.

Obviously if mining value from them plumet and lovelace is in anyway possible to buy, the value of a 3090 will violently plummet.

Last edited:
3090 Ti, pay $1K more for an extra 5-10fps (and much larger power bills) over a 3090.

I guess it's up to you.

And of course the size constraint. It's a very wide card (3.5 slots?) in addition to being extremely power hungry (500W).

https://www.techradar.com/news/ethereum-20-goes-live-next-month-heres-why-thats-a-huge-deal

Obviously if mining value from them plumet and lovelace is in anyway possible to buy, the value of a 3090 will violently plummet.

I think that the niche market is going to be for the 24GB of VRAM for the "prosumers" who need it on the 3090 which could also prop up the medium term value. I can't see a 4070/4080 having that much VRAM even if it outperforms a 3090 strictly in gaming. Hard to say what that will be worth. What the 4090 costs and availability will certainly play into it. Not every prosumer has a $2000-3000 budget though.

Or don't buy one and maybe if these don't sell the next gen won't raise prices...again. 3090 Ti is a better card, I agree, just in design alone, but clearly is a "testing the waters" product to see how high they can go and us schmucks will still buy. I'd say this is limited to halo products, but we all know this has trickled down to the whole stack.

Or don't buy one and maybe if these don't sell the next gen won't raise prices...again. 3090 Ti is a better card, I agree, just in design alone, but clearly is a "testing the waters" product to see how high they can go and us schmucks will still buy. I'd say this is limited to halo products, but we all know this has trickled down to the whole stack.
Do you you remember when the 3080 was only $699? Neither do I.

I care about performance, but I'm ok with 20% of the year having 90% of the performance for a savings on 100% performance the next year. Part of my fear is that the 3090 ti is going to be a novelty card with very little value once the 4xxx series arrives in a few months.

It’ll likely be a least 9-12 months after release before you can get your hands on a 3090Ti killer at or Below the cost of a 3090Ti. I think the folks who can afford a 2 grand GPU will be just fine with it dropping in value over a year after they purchased it.

I think if you can wait 6-12 months you should. Even if they come out soon, even if prices are coming down, they're going to be sold out for a long time

imo the 3090ti isnt a good $ purchase.
Its only positive is you can probably find one to buy!

This is a really weird thread asking about whether it's worth it upgrading halo card to halo card while also asking if it's financially smart.

If you want the best at all times and you're gaming at the highest res then of course it's always worth it.

If you want a financially smart decision, then it's almost never worth it (definitely hasn't been for the last 3 years).

Really two mutually exclusive questions in recent years.

This is a really weird thread asking about whether it's worth it upgrading halo card to halo card while also asking if it's financially smart.

If you want the best at all times and you're gaming at the highest res then of course it's always worth it.

If you want a financially smart decision, then it's almost never worth it (definitely hasn't been for the last 3 years).

Really two mutually exclusive questions in recent years.
I agree to an extent. I look at this as a middle ground. If I wanted a 3060, that’s one thing. But I still want a halo card at the best value. Honestly, there’s not my my 3090 does that a 3080ti doesn’t besides some large machine learning projects. That’s doesn’t mean I don’t “want” it. I just know that my want is mostly just me getting a warm fuzzy feeling knowing any performance hiccups aren’t the result of going too small.

The clear answer is to just get a 3090TI and keep the 3090 in a backup rig of course.

The projections with ETH mining is that proof of stake will go live sometime in the next 90 days. If that happens then I expect the price of everything to tank a decent amount. The latest dev talk though had some concerns about it though and they wanted to make a decision to continue or delay within the next 30 days. It's been a few weeks since then so I expect we'll get another delay in a week or two. You can get new 3080s for $1k or less now so I don't think it's be a bad time to sell the 3090, grab one of those, and wait and see. If there's a major delay though then I expect GPU prices to go back up and 4xxx series availability to be bad as well.

I agree to an extent. I look at this as a middle ground. If I wanted a 3060, that’s one thing. But I still want a halo card at the best value. Honestly, there’s not my my 3090 does that a 3080ti doesn’t besides some large machine learning projects. That’s doesn’t mean I don’t “want” it. I just know that my want is mostly just me getting a warm fuzzy feeling knowing any performance hiccups aren’t the result of going too small.

if you want that warm and fuzzy, and you know you won’t “regret” spending the money, then go for it IMO. Retail therapy is a thing and sometimes having that new thicc shiny just makes you feed good XD. Just make sure you unload your current card quick lol.

To answer this question: Upgrade to 3090 ti or wait for 4090?

If
<enter your wishes/worst fear here on 4090 card> then <enter you decision here to buy or not to buy 4090>
else keep dreaming on 4090.
;)

From what I hear they are targeting Q4 2022 but that might slip to Q1-Q2 2023. So are you willing to wait up to a year at most for the 4000 series? Also it might be impossible to get for a while when it is released and who knows where the market will be as far as inflation goes.

My post was a bit sardonic and I should have left out the "I thought this was Hardforum". I understand economics is an issue and the OP wants to make the best decision he can. I just don't think anyone, even industry veterans, can give him a good answer. Not in 2022, after all we have seen in the past couple of years.
Nvidia may push up their time table to hammer on both AMD and intel. The parts shortage is letting up a tad but it's still really bad. My current estimation end of 2022, Provided taiwan doesn't become absorbed by china by force.

My prediction, end of 2022 only because they want to try to keep intel from taking too much market share. AMD is also posing a serious threat currently. It's about to get very interesting.

Nvidia is typically every 18-24 months, so September would be 24.... Actually buying one due to shortages, who knows.

2x FE 3090 ti nvlink replacing 2x FE 3090 nvlink

there is a case to be made:

well, I have a problem (spoken in the same way someone has a drinking problem)
I just went ahead and bought 2 of the FE 3090 ti with nvlink bridge, (again, spoken with the same tone of addiction)

so my performance is good but not worth the price of admission if you're just going to be gaming. I use mine in my dissertation, deep learning and NN, otherwise, probably not worth the money for the performance increase.

HOWEVER
as I use mine for deep learning /NN and I use the nvlink, - I was not sure if the 4090 would ever be available in the nvlink configuration, so looking that -I doubt nvidia would sell them "pair-able" in the future /4090 variety / nvlink, I grabbed the pair of 3090 ti hedging the bet that two 3090 ti nvlink can do more of what I need than a single 4000 series card. Also, if things track on the power front, I doubt one could power two 4090 cards of one USA household socket, so this would also be a reason for nvidia to no longer support the nvlink for two cads. Yes, 2 3090 ti paired in deep learning/ NN would be faster than a single 4090 card.

Lastly, seldom, very seldom, are subsequent generations of cards nore than 25% -30% improvement in real usage. So for a single 4090 to be better than two 3090 ti nvlink for NN, it would have to be much much better than the speculated 30%.

So taking all these things there is an arguable position to buy a 3090 ti (pair)... from a certain point of view...
InfoPanel.jpg

nvlinkView.jpg

Last edited:

I just went ahead and bought 2 of the FE 3090 ti with nvlink bridge, (again, spoken with the same tone of addiction)

so my performance is good but not worth the price of admission if you're just going to be gaming. I use mine in my dissertation, deep learning and NN, otherwise, probably not worth the money for the performance increase.

HOWEVER
as I use mine for deep learning /NN and I use the nvlink, - I was not sure if the 4090 would ever be available in the nvlink configuration, so looking that -I doubt nvidia would sell them "pair-able" in the future /4090 variety / nvlink, I grabbed the pair of 3090 ti hedging the bet that two 3090 ti nvlink can do more of what I need than a single 4000 series card. Also, if things track on the power front, I doubt one could power two 4090 cards of one USA household socket, so this would also be a reason for nvidia to no longer support the nvlink for two cads. Yes, 2 3090 ti paired in deep learning/ NN would be faster than a single 4090 card.

Lastly, seldom, very seldom, are subsequent generations of cards nore than 25% -30% improvement in real usage. So for a single 4090 to be better than two 3090 ti nvlink for NN, it would have to be much much better than the speculated 30%.

So taking all these things there is an arguable position to buy a 3090 ti (pair)... from a certain point of view...
I would tend to agree with you. The only difference with the leaked information this time around has to do with the information being stolen through the hack apparently. The timelines and performance figures were taken from the data dump direclty. I hope they keep the nvlink, but there's a case to be made that they're reserving it for their enterprise offerings. The "titan" series that we're used to might be going jurassic.

I would tend to agree with you. The only difference with the leaked information this time around has to do with the information being stolen through the hack apparently. The timelines and performance figures were taken from the data dump direclty. I hope they keep the nvlink, but there's a case to be made that they're reserving it for their enterprise offerings. The "titan" series that we're used to might be going jurassic.
not to mention the power requirements of two 4090 in a single PC...

HOWEVER

View attachment 461059
View attachment 461060

How I wish SLI was still a viable gaming option for us all. Nice setup there.

ETH 2.0 from a complete outsider point of view have been right out of the corner many times over the years.

Isn't mining mostly a memory thing? I thought the 4090 is rumored to use the same 21gbps G6X chips and will have the same memory bandwidth as the 3090 Ti, and only the 4090 Ti will have the faster 24gbps chips. I don't know if the 4090 will even mine noticeably faster than a 3090 Ti.

Back