Upgrade suggestions - Smaller Quieter?

kthiessen

n00b
I have an 8800GTS 320mg card in my Windows Machine (A Thermaltake LanBox -SFF- case.)
I've had this card for 2 years and I'm VERY pleased with it's performance on the games I play (WoW, City of Heros/Villans, Oblivion) which are older and less demanding.

Is there a newer generation card which would give me the same performance on my prefered games that would be quieter and hopefully smaller then the 8800GTS 320 ?

The Lanbox case is loud and a tight fit in general. Anything I could do to improve things now that I've added hard drives would be huge for me.

Can anyone make recommendations?

The 8800GTS 320MB is about as fast as an ATi 3870 or an nVidia 9600GT. If you want the next notch up in performance, look at the ATi 4830 vs 9800GT. The 4830 is a real winner right now.

I'm not up to speed on which specific cards are quieter and smaller. My searches seem to end up pointing to this HIS 4830 which a newegg user review reports works well in his LanBox. But it seems rather expensive at $105 when the MSI 4830 is only $80 - but on the other hand, the newegg user reviews for the MSI says it's almost 10" long and loud.

Short of getting a "silent" card I'm not sure how you'd better yourself there. The 8800 GTS 320/640 have pretty quiet stock fans as it is.

The trouble with "silent" fanless cards is that they require very large heat sinks and cases with at least reasonable airflow. I have serious doubts that these would fit in a Lanbox.

In a review I found about the LanBox, here, I found this quote: "The one thing that may be a very tight fit are the new and very long GeForce 8800GTX graphic cards. The GTS installed here fit fine, with about one inch left toward the hard drive."

Does nVidia have anything small atm like the HD 4670, but with better 3D performance? Just installed a 4670 in my SFF box with about 1 inch length clearance. Looked into faster cards, ia 9600GT, but they were all too long. I've found one HD 4830 version that would fit, but with no space left for the PCIE power connector.

Back